iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Logs

Started by whittler, January 02, 2012, 09:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittler

I have 4 large oak logs, Red Oak and Burr Oak, 32" to 36" and up to 14' long. I have an LT40HD (Lou's mill). Can the hydralics handle these? How do you saw these? Will the turner handle them?
Whittler

Jeff

Don't you have something smaller to start off with?  :D    I have no idea whether it can or not, but that size oak log was taxing for the hydraulics on the big circle commercial mill I used to run.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Whillter, I have an LT40 HD. My largest Red Oak was a 32" x 12 foot. I think Magicman said he had lifted logs a whole lot heavier and longer than mine or yours.

Your saw will pick them up with no problem and you will be able to turn them with the HD turner.

But I have to agree with Jeff, If your just learning, start off with a log in the 20-24 inch range until you build your confidence.

However, I have a backhoe with forks on it. I load my BIG logs using the forks.

It's also a good idea on your bigger logs that all the knots are chainsawed flush with the trunk. It'll turn a whole lt better.

Good-Luck, David

P.S. On a log this size, I generally put the larger end toward the saw head. This lets me whittle it down easier without getting the blade and saw head hung up in the log on a long cut.

Hope this helps.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

whittler

I'm not planning on sawing these for awhile. Just trying to get a feel for what this saw can handle.  I have about 40 black ash from approx. 15 to 30 inches plus some odds and ends of others to saw first.  Jeff, I'm not going to abuse Lou's mill intentionally! I wish Jeff and all a great year.
Whittler

DR_Buck

A log that size may require some assistance.   If the lifting arms can lift them to the mill bed your half way there.   If not, you may need to assist the lift with a loader.  If you don't have a loader, and can lift partially put a chain around the log and pull it up using the hydraulic clamp while raising the lifting arms.  Make sure the chain goes only around the log and does not go around the lifting arm.

Before you start be sure the mill is level and solid.   Then move the head all the way to the hitch end and lower it as low as possible to keep center of gravity down.   Logs that big can roll into the backstops with a lot of force.

When you start milling, you will be doing a lot of turning to whittle the log down to a size where you can cut your first board.  This can take some time.  I have found that often the turner will not turn large logs alone.   You can use the 2-plane clamp to add lifting force to help turning the log.   After a while you will develop a rhythm and it becomes 2nd nature.

Good luck.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

terrifictimbersllc

Agree with previous posts but here's my 2 cents anyway.  Log weight calculator in the red toolbox at the left.   At 14 ft a 32" red oak log is 5000 pounds, a 36" one over 6000 pounds.  Of course this is most accurate if these are the average diameters of these logs not the large or small spot.  Nominal weight of WM LT40 hydraulics 4400 pounds for the loader.  You can maybe load the smaller but not the large one.  Turning a 5000 pound log is probably possible if you learn how to use the clamp and turner together but this is an acquired skill which you will probably pick up fast once the monster is stuck on your mill bed.  Making whatever cuts you can make as soon as you can make them is also a goal.  I would probably try to load the smaller one and be prepared to cut one or both ends off to shed some weight if needed.  But forget it on the larger one, even if you can load it you can't manipulated it efficiently enough, with that diameter and the hydraulics alone. If either of the logs has bumps or holes near the turner/clamp, also maybe forget it.  At 36" avg diameter an oak log needs to be 10-11 ft max.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

I do logs of that size up to 40' long on a regular basis. So I know the mill will handle it. The limits of your mill has more to do with your experience than the mill. If you go to my gallery you will see some of the big logs that I have cut. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I could load and handle them but, your mill is not a SuperHydraulic with the dual hydraulic motors and there is a huge difference in the log handling capabilities.  Off hand, I would say that you have certainly met and probably exceeded your mill's limitations.  You may can use your log clamp to assist the loader, but even then the limitation is the lone hydraulic motor itself.  Then you do not have a dual plane clamp to assist in turning the logs.

I would want a tractor with a FEL available for assistance before attempting them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR_Buck

Quote from: customsawyer on January 02, 2012, 02:31:27 PM
I do logs of that size up to 40' long on a regular basis. So I know the mill will handle it. The limits of your mill has more to do with your experience than the mill. If you go to my gallery you will see some of the big logs that I have cut.

Jake  - Your gallery is locked.  I wasn't able to view any files.   Other members galleries view OK.

Dave
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

He must have been playing with his settings. They were changed to view only by himself. I've changed that and unlocked the album.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

T Welsh

I,ve handled large oaks as big as that,it all depends on weight. try one and see where you upper limit will be and then you will know later down the road. the problem with big logs is to know what to take off and rotate until you have it down to where you can get it through the throat. get greedy and you will have to get the chain saw out and cut your way through or try to gig back out of the cut, with wedges in the kerf :D Its all a learning curve 8). Tim

paul case

I have sawn a few logs that big on my mill and even though it's a different brand and is all manual, my trick may help you out some.
I load with a forklift anyway and could turn a big un the same way, I don't. I will cut some boards off the top and then cut a big slab in a useable thickness. If I am making 4'' or 6'' or 8'' thats how thick I go. I then slide it back off the mill and turn the log. It will turn a whole lot easier since it is lighter. My saw only has 12'' between the band and the motor mount, so I try to cut the center cant down to where I can saw it all, and then I load the big flitches back on the mill and saw them into boards.
If you use your head as much as the mill, there is an way to do things that is easier and may keep you from tearing up something or getting hurt.  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Anytime you load a "too big" log on a WM, be sure that you have it evenly spaced on the loader.  If one arm is carrying more weight than the other and you have to "unload", the fuses will lock up and you will be stuck.  Then you certainly may need a FEL to relieve some of the tension so that you can lower the arms.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Thanks Jeff. I have not played with my settings but I might have done something else that locked my Gallery.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

whittler

Thanks for your help! I have sawn some this size on my manual mill so I'm not totally green. I will load them with my tractor loader (4020 JD/ Woods loader) and turn them with a swamp hook and chain. I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge and ideas that come to this forum. I'm sure I will be back for some more.
Whittler

Magicman

You have your bases covered.  Saw them.   :)

isawlogs

I have the same mill as Lou's, but year younger.  Yes it will lift them, I have lifted as big but much longer so much heavier with my mill with no issues, of course the log was centered before lifting was atempted.

What fuse are you talking about magigman  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

WM calls them fuses in my manual.  They are valves at the bottom of the loader hydraulic cylinders that activate if a hydraulic line ruptures and prevents the loader arms from falling to the ground.  They will also activate if you try to lower the arms with an unbalanced load.  It will go up, but will lock if you try to go down.

isawlogs

ok, well load the log and shift it some before briing it back down. I have never had that hapen to me ..... yet. I also had never cut into my mill up to two weeks ago.   ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

It is not a normal activity to lower the arms with a log on it.  But....I have gotten a large log on and started lifting when I noticed that it was "end heavy".  The simple solution was to just lower it back to the ground, move it a foot forward or backward, and reload.  That is when the fuses might activate and prevent the arms from lowering.

Chuck White

MM;  Also, if you're going to lower a log, it needs to be done slowly and smoothly, if you try to just move the lever all the way in the down position, the loading arms will stop.

If that happens, just raise the log a little, then lower it slowly and it should go all the way down.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Thanks Chuck.  I've never tried that "s l o wl y".  Teach this "old dog" a new trick.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!