iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Eyed Peas

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2012, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Is eating black eyed peas just a Southern thing?  It is traditional that we always have a pot of black eyed peas and hog jowl for a New Year's  meal.  PatD cooked ours this year along with a baked ham, skillet fries with onions, and corn bread. 

Come on year 2012 !!!     smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jasperfield

We had black-eyed peas, collards cooked w/hog jowl, streaked meat, mashed potatoes, cornbread, table onions, and banana puddin'.

The best meal of the year.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Blacked Eyed Peas are for "Luck" and the "Greens" are for prosperity, $$$$$.

I don't know if it's just southern or not. We had this with smoked chicken and corn bread. Put onions in the peas and vinegar on the greens.

Jasper.....it's "NANNER" pudd'n.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

LeeB

I went through the storage in the galley and found an old bag of black eyes on the shelf. The Veitnamese cooks had no idea what they were.  :( I showed them how to cook them, or at least thought I did. Had to tell them to make bean soup to get them to understand. If you can not tell, they don't eat many beans. Any way, they cooked them up best they could and I appreciated the effort. They weren't too bad and just needed to be seasoned better. Didn't have enough pork in them,or onion, garlic, salt, black pepper(mostly white pepper here). Spiced them at the table though and they were eaten with gusto. Had boiled cabbage too. Only the Americans on board and a South African fellow gave thema try. The locals just weren't that brave.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Patty

I found them in one of our seed catalogs yesterday. I am tempted to try to grow some in the garden. I have never tried to grow beans...except for green beans. This could be fun.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Magicman

I have no idea how they would taste if cooked/eaten fresh.  The only way that I have ever seen them is dried, and from the grocery section with dried beans, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I have had them fresh, but to me, they are better dried and then slow cooked with pork. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Buck

MM, ya'll have purple hull peas? they are a staple around these parts when the garden season hits. They are a lot like the std black eye pea. Not the same but close.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

LeeB

I like them fresh too but I prefer them dried. Makes a much better pot liquer.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Quote from: Buck on January 03, 2012, 08:03:12 AM
MM, ya'll have purple hull peas?

Yup, crowder(sp?) peas is groceries.

isawlogs

Here we make yellow pea soup. From what I read it is very close in the making to your black eyed peas soup. A ham bone , salt porc, and a few other ingredients like carrots , celerystick... ognions. very tasty and a favorite of mine.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Makes no difference which pea you choose or how you fix it, if ain't got cornbread to mop up behind yourself....you are legally CHEATING your taste buds!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

But, if your cornbread is not Yellow Cornbread, it still pulls up in second place.

Made from yellow cornmeal.

Raider Bill

Corn bread seems more a Southern thing, My Tenn neighbors eat it dry real dry covered with black eyed peas or pinto beans. Give me a loaf of crusty Italian bread to go with my bean soup please!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Well, ya just never had a pone of PatD's cornbread.   :)

bugdust

Finally got around to cooking a pot October beans I grew last year. Found a slug of ham left over from Christmas and chucked it in the pot too. Miss Suzie made me some cornbread muffins and I dug in. Forgot to add the ginger or Beano and now I'm blowed up like a toad. Can't hardley stand myself. Can't wait til tomorrow and I'll do it all over again.   smiley_airfreshener
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

WDH

Marcell,

As to pea soup, the very best that I ever had was on a very cold day in a little town just East of Grande Prairie, Alberta.  It was a little hole-in-the-glacier type place.  Anyway, you mentioned pea soup, and this was split pea soup with ham in it.  Thanks for reminding me of that  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 01, 2012, 07:35:13 PM
The Blacked Eyed Peas are for "Luck" and the "Greens" are for prosperity, $$$$

I've just been eating the peas.....that explains alot. :-[

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Are you saying that you cannot put luck in the bank  ???  :D.

ellmoe

Can't seem to put the stacks of 4/4 lumber I have growing at the mill into the bank either. I tried to put a bundle of 16 footers in the night drop last week and they wouldn't fit.    Had to cut 'em all to 8 foot! ::)
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

CLL

Black eyed peas, collard greens with ham hocks, and corn bread. Cover the corn bread with black eyed peas and put plenty of cider vinegar on the collard greens.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Kansas

I had black eyed peas for only the second time in my life early New Year's morning. I thought they were darned good. Wonder why they aren't more popular than they are. I would think some sort of recipe using them along with ham and whatever else in a crockpot, that was fairly thick and had a lil kick to it, put over homemade cornbread, would make a great meal in cold weather.

Thank You Sponsors!