iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill hours?

Started by MapleNut, January 01, 2012, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MapleNut

Hi, new to F.F.  Just bought a 2005 WM LT40HD with a 28hp Kohler. It has aprox 1200hrs on it. Seems to run OK, was told maint. was done regularly, and looks to be in pretty good shape. Wondering how many hours an engine/mill will last on average?
Thanks
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum.  Congratulations on your new to you mill.

I've got no direct experience with that engine so I'll let others have at that one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jim_Rogers

Find a local Kohler engine shop to you. Ask him how many hours on the machine should the valves be adjusted. And adjust them when they say that they should be adjusted.

As valves wear they get tighter, according to my mechanic and you need to keep them adjusted right to make them last.

I lost my first engine from not adjusting the valves. This one we have done at least twice and it's probably due again.

Proper maintenance will make it last a long time.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hello Maplenut, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I have the same mill and engine that you do. Got mine last year. It's a 2009. So I'll be waiting on follow-ups on your question.
We'll both learn something.
So far I do exactly what the manuel recommends and have had no problems with 315 hours on it.

Good post and again.....welcome to the forum. You'll lawn a lot.

Take care buddy!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

Quote from: MapleNut on January 01, 2012, 01:23:15 PM
Wondering how many hours an engine/mill will last on average?
Thanks

Don't know about the kohlers, but the briggs on my manual lt40 finaly was swapped out at a little over 6000 hours. Was still running but kinda tired..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

shelbycharger400

i heard the average on small engines is 3,000 running hours.  I know their is a lot of vairables. maintenance and environment have a major impact as well.  Still have a early 80's techumseh on the woodsplitter my step dad build in early 80;s,  and that thing has ran in all weathers, and stored outside several years, its tired, but still runs and burns oil.

Magicman

I can't address the hours question, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jackpine

My 25 hp Kohler has 3500 hours and still has no issues and burns no oil. I was told by my WM dealer to expect between 2500 and 5000 hours. I change oil and filter every 100 hours and keep the fins clean but do little else to the engine

Bill

MartyParsons

Hello,
No valve adjustment, hydraulic lifters. Make sure you put the correct weight engine oil in the engine.
I have not seen any of the 28hp engines die yet. Like the others said change the oil and keep the cooling working. Watch out for an engine that has not run, the ethanol will make things go bad.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

shelbycharger400

If i were you, i wouldnt be too concerned as to the hours of the motor, but rather the condition the whole machine is in,  the motors, being as small as it is, can fit in the back of your car. and relatively easy to fix and rebuild.

learydeere

I dont have a kohler on my mill but do in other things and know they are sometimes a troublesome motor.  The hydraulic lifters are known to be an issue.  We had a 25 hp and oil was changed every 50 hrs and blown off everyday and it exploded at 2500 hrs

bandmiller2

Maplenuts,If I was looking for maximum life span I would be sure to keep the air cleaner clean and use synthetic motor oil,and keep the sawdust blown off.Air cooled engines tend to run hot in the heads and valve area,a little synthetic chainsaw oil mixed with the gass helps. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shelbycharger400

bandmiller2...
i do that occasionally with the woodsplitter, and the lawnmower/snowblower.. seems to make more power that way too.. good old  40 to 1 mix

John_Haylow

Welcome to the forum Maplenut. Congratulations on your new mill, I have the same mill just a year older. I have about the same hrs on mine and change the oil every 100 hrs keep the air filer and engine fins clean and also proper maintenance on the mill. I have thought about changing over to synthetic motor oil but I do not know enough about it.Don't forget to register your mill with Wood-mizer if you haven't already.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

MapleNut

Thanks for the comments. Is there anything on the sawmill itself I should check out now, to save myself problems later? Looking it over, I didn't see any problems-but this is the first time I have looked at one! I have run it about 5 hours cutting some small popple-(10"-14") 8' long. I was slow, but I made alot of mistakes! :) 
2005 WM LT40HDG28, 5500 IRON MULE, 272,262,046, & A PIC!

Magicman

There is very little to go wrong or get out of whack unless you really hit something.  You need to familiarize yourself with properly adjusting the blade guide arm and the blade guides.  That is what determines the accuracy of your lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I am not familiar with the Kohler engin other then having one on a snowmobile a long time ago.  ;)   I do though have a Onan 24 hp on my mill that has close to 6000hrs and still running strong, it did have an oil change recomended by the manufacturer to be done every 50hrs and has received it since new oil and filter.
  I see no reason why your motor should not last as long if the proper care is done to it.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!