iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust Removal

Started by customdave, December 30, 2011, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customdave

Anybody thought using manure spreader for spreading sawdust from bandmill out in pasture, just curious if any body has tried it, or is it good idea that just ain't gonna work :) , any thoughts...?

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

eastberkshirecustoms

Many of the farmers around here (those that are left) use sawdust for bedding and it ends up being spread that way. Granted it is mixed with manure, but it should still feed out dry.

plowboyswr

Manure spreader works fine. There's a pallet mill that does a lot of resawing to make their lumber and that's what they use, backed it under the conveyor when it got full took it out and spread it. Didn't matter if it got wet still did a decent job. Just make sure you've got a good floor and the heavier chain if it's wet. Or find a hydrolic push off one they don't seem to matter how wet and heavy the material is.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

corralboards

I use the manure spreader to spread the sawdust out in a swath for bedding the cattle.  I use a truck mounted spreader and just put the spreader in cleanout gear and drive back and forth a couple of times and have a 100 fot swath by 18 foot swath laid out.  When the sawdust is wet I just spread another layer on top of the swath.  In the spring I pile it all up let it compost and haul it out to the field in the fall.

west penn

works fine but be sure to not to let any freeze in the spreader this time of year or you will snap your web. also I have added a little lime on top to help take care of the extra acid you are spreading on the pasture.

paul case

I seem to get a lot of bark and chunks of wood in my sawdust and we spread it out on the pastures with a spreader made for chicken litter. no troubles so far. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WH_Conley

I have used a spreader, works like a charm. Don't worry about it being wet, doesn't weigh as much as cow manure. Matter of fact, it won't stick together long enough to hit the beaters. Just kind of falls straight down.On a New Holland anyhow. If any of the other brands actually spread better I would like to know, I am in the market for another one.
Bill

Chuck White

Just have to be careful that it doesn't come out and cover the ground in a solid strip.

If it does, nothing will grow there for a couple of years, because it will just smother things out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Two different types of sawdust circular mills produce small chunks wile bandmills produce fine dust much like a tablesaw.Too much sawdust will take nitrogen out of the soil as it breaks down,I can see no harm in a light top dressing and ye old dung spreader is the tool.I always used sawdust on woods roads to bind soft spots and for weed control. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Holmes

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 31, 2011, 07:05:02 AM
.I always used sawdust on woods roads to bind soft spots and for weed control. Frank C.

Frank that is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Brad_bb

Don't put Black Walnut dust were horses or other livestock are.  Poisonous to horses at least.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

customdave

Thanks guys, good info , I guess I'm in the market for a smaller manure spreader :)..

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

bandmiller2

I have used a dung spreader with horsy litter shavings to spread lime on fields use the wood waste as a carrier spread an even coat of lime on the sawdust. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Brucer

I used to spread it with the front-end loader.  Tilt the bucket and drive over bumpy ground ;D.

Last year I had to dig out a bunch before the snow was off the field where I spread it; I ended up putting it in a pile near the yard entrance. Next thing you know, people are asking if it's for sale. "Just take it", I said. Now I just pile it there and it disappears :) :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!