iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best (under $50) Christmas gift you got

Started by Piston, December 30, 2011, 11:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

I'd be interested in what some of you considered the best gift you got for Christmas that was most likely under, or around, $50 or so. 

Of course, the best gift would be something you can't buy, but what are some of the most useful things you got for Christmas? 

I think mine would be a new Fiskars X11 splitting axe/hatchet.  Nice and small, but still packs a punch.  I'll probably make up a bracket to store on my tractor somewhere.   8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

LAZERDAN

A microstream flashlight. it is the size of a AA battery but just as bright as mag light.      great gift    8)

Busy Beaver Lumber

My best Christmas gift under $50 was a very nice engraved zippo lighter with the inscription "Thanks for being my Dad, Love Always, Ashley"

This meant the world to me as it took me quite a while to get her to accept me as a step father, never mind accepting me as her Dad. Brought tears to my eyes when I opened the box and saw it. :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

celliott

A handmade cribbage board from my dad. It's in the shape of a canoe, and has a map outlining a trip we took this summer in the middle. Looks awesome.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

KBforester

A flask with hand tooled leather on the outside. Oak leaves and acorns, really cool.

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/67205938

She also bought me a bottle of scotch to go with it  ;D
Trees are good.

sawguy21

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on December 30, 2011, 01:28:25 PM
My best Christmas* gift under $50 was a very nice engraved zippo lighter with the inscription "Thanks for being my Dad, Love Always, Ashley"

This meant the world to me as it took me quite a while to get her to accept me as a step father, never mind accepting me as her Dad. Brought tears to my eyes when I opened the box and saw it. :)
You are a good man and have every right to be proud.  8) I have a step family that means the world to me but it was not an easy journey.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bandmiller2

Best all time christmas gift was a Daisy mod. 25 BB gun I was 12 or 13 nothing else has even come close. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

I got serveral gifts this year that fit  the under 50 bucks and all were real good.
Pocket watch
vise grips
gift cards
movie tickets

but of all my best was leather gloves from my 10 year old son. I use some of them every day and even though they will wear out, for a ten year old to give a practical gift is decoration to this dad. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

DanG

My best Christmas* gift under $50 was a very nice engraved zippo lighter with the inscription "Thanks for being my Dad, Love Always, Ashley"

Dang Beav, that brought tears to my eyes too.  You may have to quit smoking 'cause you'll start blubbering every time you light up. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

wesdor

Good question

My daughter gave me the book: Steve Jobs

I've been into computers since the 70s and this is one fantastic read.  In one sense it has nothing at all to do with computers.  So far I'm only about 100 pages in out of the 600 and I would rank it as one of the best written books I have read in a long time

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 15, 2007, 08:56:21 PM
Brooke had been visiting friends on Monday.  When she got home she was telling Alex that they watched Shrek the Third on DVD.  Alex said, "Why didn't you wait until I could watch it?"  (They got to see it when it was in the theater.)

It reminded me of when I was a little shaver in the mid-50's.  Hopalong Cassidy would come on TV sometime on Saturday mornings.  It was must see TV as far as I was concerned. 

One Saturday we went to visit my Aunt Abby.   She lived at least a half hour drive from our farm.  When I got there,  I rushed in to get a seat in front of the TV.  But I was too late.  Hopalong had already hopped along and was over.  With disappointment I asked,  "Why didn't y-all wait for me?"

That's me on the far left.  My sister Dorothy Lee is holding cousin Roger, next is cousin Roy and then Dickey on the far right.  This was taken before we had TV - or even electricity to plug the TV in.  Or a local station to broadcast for that matter.  We are setting on the well top.  Note the water bucket above Dorothy Lee's head.

Netfix has just added the Hopalong Cassidy series.   Now I can watch an episode any time I want. 8)

Mary also got me a copy of "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Piston

.....This meant the world to me as it took me quite a while to get her to accept me as a step father, never mind accepting me as her Dad. Brought tears to my eyes when I opened the box and saw it. :)

BBL,
That's one of those gifts that you just can't put a price tag on.   8)

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 31, 2011, 05:50:26 AM
Quote from: Bibbyman on November 15, 2007, 08:56:21 PM
....That's me on the far left.  My sister Dorothy Lee is holding cousin Roger, next is cousin Roy and then Dickey on the far right.  This was taken before we had TV - or even electricity to plug the TV in.  Or a local station to broadcast for that matter.  We are setting on the well top.  Note the water bucket above Dorothy Lee's head.

Bibby,
Was this taken before they had bib overalls too?  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

tcsmpsi

Quote from: DanG on December 30, 2011, 10:52:18 PM

Dang Beav, that brought tears to my eyes too.  You may have to quit smoking 'cause you'll start blubbering every time you light up. :D :D

Alright you guys....

When I first saw this thread on the board, and while I was clicking and waiting, the first thing popped into my head was the collection of Billy Jack films my youngest daughter (technically, step-daughter) got for me, and that special insight shared between us.  Her name is Ashley Michelle. But, as I had to go take care of something while I was responding to this post, it became clear, that for this Christmas, the one thing which touched me deepest.  John, the oldest surving son (technically, step-son) contacted me from Afghanistan ( his 4th tour in Iraqistan) as he was waiting to catch the plane to the States for Christmas leave.  We spoke more in that coversation than we have in all the time previously, mostly as it just wasn't necessary.  And, as we finished, he told me he loved me.

My best Christmas gift...at any price

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Chris Burchfield

Piston, they just were not making bibs in that size yet.   :D :D :D  I got a new set of Liberty bibs for Christmas from mom.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Busy Beaver Lumber

TCSMPSI

I have 4 step daughters, all of which had completely worthless biological fathers, and even worse, they endured a violent step father before my wife and I got married. They were all over the age of 7 when my wife and I met and got married, with two of them already in their early teens. When my wife and I got married, any word that had father of dad in it was as bad as a curse word to them since they did not have any fond memories of those that had come before me.

To say the least, it was an upward struggle to gain their trust and make them realize that I did love and care for them and that I was not like the others they had experienced. For each of them, and in some cases, it took many years to come to that conclusion, but when it finally did happen, they were magical events for me. I can tell you the exact moment it happened with each of the 4 girls, and I guess this engraved lighter means so much to me because this was the last one to finally realize how much I love and care for her. It was like my biggest wish in life had finally been completed when she came to me in tears about 6 months ago at the age of 21 and said " I am so sorry. You have been so nice and patient with me for the last 10 years and no matter how hard you tried, I still would not let you get close to me and did everything I could to push you away, but still you kept on trying. I really regret doing that and all the time I wasted that I could have enjoyed with you. I love you Dad".

Now, I could not ask for a better relationship with her and she comes to visit me 3 or 4 times a week. I could care less if I ever lit a single smoke with that lighter because to me it symbolizes much more than that and will forever be very precious to me, even if it never is called on to produce a flame.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on December 31, 2011, 09:04:22 AM
TCSMPSI

I have 4 step daughters, all of which had completely worthless biological fathers, and even worse, they endured a violent step father before my wife and I got married. They were all over the age of 7 when my wife and I met and got married, with two of them already in their early teens. When my wife and I got married, any word that had father of dad in it was as bad as a curse word to them since they did not have any fond memories of those that had come before me.

To say the least, it was an upward struggle to gain their trust and make them realize that I did love and care for them and that I was not like the others they had experienced. For each of them, and in some cases, it took many years to come to that conclusion, but when it finally did happen, they were magical events for me. I can tell you the exact moment it happened with each of the 4 girls, and I guess this engraved lighter means so much to me because this was the last one to finally realize how much I love and care for her. It was like my biggest wish in life had finally been completed when she came to me in tears about 6 months ago at the age of 21 and said " I am so sorry. You have been so nice and patient with me for the last 10 years and no matter how hard you tried, I still would not let you get close to me and did everything I could to push you away, but still you kept on trying. I really regret doing that and all the time I wasted that I could have enjoyed with you. I love you Dad".

Now, I could not ask for a better relationship with her and she comes to visit me 3 or 4 times a week. I could care less if I ever lit a single smoke with that lighter because to me it symbolizes much more than that and will forever be very precious to me, even if it never is called on to produce a flame.

Yes sir, Beaver.  I knew all those things...and then some, of that lighter.  The more intimate, never-ending turmoil within yourself poring over all the questions....and to reach that pinnacle...brought all that back home.
And then Dan's response....well, I had to leave for a bit. 

John's dad had been husband #2 and he had been raised in that household in another state.  First time I saw him was at a meeting I had arranged so as to allow Ashley Michelle to meet her biological father, brother and sister before I would proceed with adoption.  Though John did not talk to me, I caught him watching me closely, from time to time.  He was about 16, then.  Was also the first time his mother had seen him since he was small.  I could certainly tell his confusion as she did not seem the ogre he had been told.

I met his mother as she was sent to me as a, 'last resort' to the violent stalking of ex #3.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Warbird

My son's adoption being finalized yesterday.  The entire process cost waaaaay more than $50 but then, the adoption itself is priceless.  Best Christmas gift I've ever received.  Thank God we got it completed this year.

isawlogs

That is the best I have heard, I won't even try to top that  :)

I got a Mushroom cookbook from my two kids ( 24 and 27 they will always be kids to me  ;)   :)   )
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

bandmiller2

All very good touching stories,relationships with family are really all that matters,so many troubles today could have been prevented with good family relations. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sparky1

not to big on gifts around here. I didt get a very usefull log chain. and a homemade blanket. both great gifts that i will use alot!
Shaun J

Thank You Sponsors!