iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

channel pine siding going up

Started by frwinks, August 24, 2011, 01:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frwinks

With the summer coming to an end and being tired of looking at Typar "siding" for close to a year, it's time to get some siding up finally. The original plan was to board and batten the house, but after some research we decided that the channel profile is a better fit/look.
I bought 3500' of 1x12 d1s white pine boards, the heaviest router table I could find, a 1.5" mortising bit for my Bosch router and started grooving a few weeks ago. 

We're using Sikkens 078 natural stain, rolling it on the rough side and brushing in the sides and grooves. 

Each board has to go through the router three times, x2 for the 2" channel (I couldn't find a 2" bit) and x1 for the 3/4" rabbet overlap.  Prolly not for the average sane man, but the money I saved paid for the tools which I can use on other projects ie. the flooring I've put up a few weeks ago already ;D
We took last week off and with the help from my brother and dad, we got roughly 100ft put up.  Some of the strapping had to be re-worked/added/massaged (which really slows things down) to allow for "trim free" siding look we wanted. 
The bottom of each window will get a cedar parapet at one point.  For now the sheathing tape will do... ;D
The before...

And after...

PC-Urban-Sawyer

FRWinks,

Looks good. Looks like a lot more than 100' installed...

Keep up the good work and be careful.

Herb

ljmathias

Very, very nice frwinks- I envy you your progress and hope to be at that stage next week.  Is that a picture of you rolling the sealer on the pine?  You seem much more, well, feminine than I expected.   :D

I'm still puzzled about your choice of channel siding- it's shiplap turned vertical, right?  And isn't there lots of chance for rain to run down and into the overlap cracks, especially as the wood moves with the seasons?  Not criticizing, mind you, just curious.   ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

frwinks

thanks guys, and lj..lol, that's my fiancee, the best girl a man on a mission could ever ask for :D  From helping me move 14x11 sugar maple ridge beams, living in a camper for 6 months to handing me food when I'm running on empty at the end of a 16hr work day..she's always there smiley_heart

As for the siding...from what I've read the channel profile allows for maximum dimensional change with the seasons and in this case, with 1/2"-5/8" overlap, should provide excellent weather protection.  I heard the BB is/can be a very leaky siding profile and after checking out a couple of houses/sheds with it on, we decided to run with channel.  Another big deciding factor was the "bulkiness" of the BB, we (read the missus ;D) wanted something sleeker/cleaner.  Reverse BB was an option, but then we figured why bother with so many pcs of wood when the channel offers the reverse BB look with only one pc of wood....
oh the joys of building a house eh?  So many choices and hard decisions to make :)

Raider Bill

Quote from: frwinks on August 25, 2011, 10:05:02 AM

oh the joys of building a house eh?  So many choices and hard decisions to make :)

Isn't that the truth! ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

frwinks

some updated pics of the finished product  ;D

Still have to do the window sills, but this is much better than the tyvek siding from last winter :D

jueston

looks great, its gotta feel great to see the fruits of your labor...

Thank You Sponsors!