TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Comstock Logging

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: ideas for an engine for a band sawmill  (Read 6216 times)

Offline stephen breen

• Member*
  • I'm new!
ideas for an engine for a band sawmill
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:09:11 pm »
I am very new to sawing logs and i am wanting to build a band sawmill to build a small barn and other projects around the house.  i would like to saw pine and oak.  i have come across a couple of 5 hp gocart engines i was thinking i would use one of them. any sugestions?  im a sheetmetal worker by trade so the metal and iron work will not be a problem i am just looking for something to power the mill that will not cost to much.

Online POSTONLT40HD

• Senior Member x2
  • ROL won't recognize me now.
Re: ideas for an engine for a band sawmill
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:47 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Stephen.

Great post. You'll get a lot of help on your question here.

There's a lot of talent on the Forestry Forum.

Good-Luck!
If you have not registered to bid on an AUCTION, please do….you may just see something you like.
David

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:58:31 am »
Stephen welcome,5hp is not enough to do any real milling.An electric motor is hard to beat a 5 hp electric would do the job,be quiet and easy to build a roof over.If your a carefull workman you can build a good functional mill it won't be cheap but cheaper.Even better is finding a used mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline learydeere

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:15:53 am »
One of the mills i have is a hudson with a 10hp briggs and that is way under powered. My woodmizer has a 24hp onan and that seems to do the trick.  I would look for a small diesel out of a reefer truck some of the smaller ones are around 25-30 hp

Offline Blaszer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:18:33 am »
This is the saw I built over the summer... It has a 16 horse Kohler with electric start and electric clutch...since the pics, I added a water system for the blade....

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:30:05 am »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum Stephen and Blaszer.

I'm with Frank on this one, try and find a used mill.

I feel you would be money ahead to try to find a used LT10 or LT15, or other brands similar in size and price range of these two mills.

I don't think there would be a significant difference between buying one of the mills (used) mentioned, and the cost incurred running around and finding the parts and material to build a mill.

Good luck;
~Chuck~
Retired USAF, Retired School Bus Driver, and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook and others.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Bill Gaiche

• Senior Member x2
  • Home built bandsaw, Kioti ck30. Sthil 211 & 361.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 10:31:27 am »
Welcome. 5hp isnt enough engine to do any sawing with good results. 10hp will work 15hp better and will do a pretty good job. It takes a decent engine to pull a bandsaw blade. I have a 14hp and it does me ok for I just do sawing for my own projects. Finding a used lt10 or 15 might be a better way to go. Buying all the metal to build a mill is not that cheap unless you have acess to some. If you still desire to build your own which I did may be for your own satisfaction and pride. Look around your area and see if you can find a good used engine. That might save you some money. Go look at a band mill and take notes of how its built then go from there. Look in the photo gallery and you will see mills built at home that work very good. There are some good ideas there that may be helpful to you. Good luck, bg

Offline ahlkey

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 11:19:40 am »
I worked for a small engine manufacturer for 10 years and with a 5HP motor you would not be happy with it on a bandsaw mill.  I have a 23HP Vanguard from B & S which does a good job but if you had to go smaller I would suggest a 13HP engine like the GX series from Honda or similar models from other manufacturers.   I agree if you can find a good used model that would be the way to go.

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:10:49 pm »
Welcome to the forestry forum Stephen. Spend some time reading some of the threads on here about building your own mill. A lot  of guys on here have done it. Whether you build, buy used, or buy new, one thing you will be glad you did, when you get into milling is going after the most h.p. you can afford. Milling softwoods can be done "ok" on less power, but when you start chewing on oak or other hardwoods you will want all the poweryou can get, IMHO. 
  Blazer  yer home built mill looks pretty nice! Good job 8)
'64 Garrett 15A, Woodland Bumblebee CSM, Granberg Alaskan III, Logosol Timberjigg, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline JFarmer

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 07:57:08 pm »
Go electric! I recently converted my LT40 from a kubota diesel to 25hp electric. The electric is quieter and a whole lot cheaper to operate and maintain. With electric you dont have oil changes, filters, and all of that stuff to buy. Mine will now saw circles around the diesel any day. Hope this helps and good luck!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

Offline mikeb1079

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:04 pm »
i also built a bandsaw mill this summer and i say build one!  yes it's alot of time and work but if you have the time and don't have the 3k minimum to buy one you should build.  i too would vote for at least 10hp or better.  mine has a 16 and it's perfect for my mill.  i've maxed out the mill at 24" cutting half dry elm and it was fine, but i'm glad i didn't go much smaller.
good luck
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Offline 357blacksmith

• Remember the Alamo
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:09 pm »
My Logmaster LM1 came standard with a 13 hp engine. I have pushed it through some pretty big logs. It performs great on green pine. Aged oak and a blade with few miles on it will start to take the fun out of it. I would keep an eye out for a good used motor with a min of 10hp depending on the diameter of logs you plan on sawing. Down here people over load their generators during power outages and are left with a nice motor attached to a burnt electronic device.  Good luck.
Log Master 1, Farmtrac 665, Champion forge, Peter Wright anvil, and 5 Bassett attack-and slobber dogs.

Offline shelbycharger400

• Senior Member x2
  • m14/04 0
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »
im running a 12.5 hp briggs on my chain bar slabber with a 36 in chain ,  6 inch electric clutch.   it cuts 12 inch dia logs,  i definatly recomend that you go larger than that ,  im planning on upgrading to a 20 hp myself.
i bought my 12.5hp for 150 bux,   20hp motors run 200-300 used.  you can find mowers with them on it for that price too.

Online pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 10:07:13 pm »
re : generator engines. There is a problem with using generator motors. The crankshaft stubb is tapered and does not have a key slot, kinda hard to put a pulley on it. A centrifugal clutch off a golf cart will fit on the shaft with a little lapping compound. Look around for a lawn mower graveyard..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »
Two suggestions, build the saw and put on the biggest engine that you have access to even if it is the 5 hp, and secondly I have read a post by someone that said you could get pulleys that are made to fit on tapered generator style shafts.
I am either committed or should be committed, depends on who you ask. July 12, 2014

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 12:26:59 am »
The spray trucks we run at work use Yanmar diesels.  I think they make their own fuel.   :)  If my Perkins/Cat engine goes out I will give them a hard look.  Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline Slingshot

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 10:47:00 am »

Maybe this one would be big enough for you guys to run a home-built band saw??  ::)  8)

Offline Bill Gaiche

• Senior Member x2
  • Home built bandsaw, Kioti ck30. Sthil 211 & 361.
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 08:33:38 pm »
Do you think that would work for a portable mill? bg

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 09:41:35 pm »
Stephen Breen and Blaszer welcome to FF!   8)  This is the place to learn how to build your own sawmill.  FF helped me build one.  You can see some of the details in my early posts.  Many other other members have homemade mills as well.  That search button up near top of the page has helped me out many times.  Stephen, if all I had was a 5 hp engine I certainly wouldn't let that stop me from building a sawmill.  Build the engine mounts large and strong enough for a larger power source to be added later. 

Blaszer, neat mill how did you come up with your design?  Looks like it works good.

I started out with the William (Bill) Rake Simple Sawmill Plans.  I don't believe they are available any longer as his website is gone.  However, here is a link to a fella that has built a mill using those plans...

http://kruppt.tripod.com/

Good luck and ask lots of questions.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber attachment
Woodmizer LT-40 Super Hydraulic

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Thomas A. Edison

Offline shelbycharger400

• Senior Member x2
  • m14/04 0
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »
slingshot...
that motor runs about 400 rpm,   but has GOBS of torque.    darn near direct drive it on a circle mill :)