iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood ML26 build

Started by Riggs, December 27, 2011, 05:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

QuoteEach time someone post something as this I learn and the fever becomes worse
i came into this relm from the muscle cars , i still love them, but that has become too rich for my blood right now. wood is easier and cleaner too, and i was an engine builder/ heavy line guy.

...hmmm, aaahhh the smell of exhaust, and the rich aroma of fresh cut wood.  the wife looked at me , stared and asked me one day " what are you doing? " ,  i was sniffin a piece of cut wood..lol

paul case

Quote from: Riggs on January 07, 2012, 03:42:00 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on January 07, 2012, 03:34:11 PM
Lookin' good Riggs!

How long before you build a house for it!   8)

That would be project #1 on my things to do list

Where you gonna buy the lumber? ;D ;D ;D    tehehehee. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

leroy in kansas

i was sniffin a piece of cut wood..

Hey bud, I'm thinking I would be wondering about you also.  ;D

apm

Hey Riggs, Is that a Zetor? I've got a 5245 that I don't know what I'd do without.
Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Holmes

Quote from: apm on January 08, 2012, 09:02:17 AM
Hey Riggs, Is that a Zetor? I've got a 5245 that I don't know what I'd do without.
Greg
I thought that looks like a Zetor  too. My first tractor was a 5245 10 years ago, upgraded to the Zetor Proxima 5 years ago. Great tractors..
Think like a farmer.

Magicman

Riggs, you have done an outstanding job of documenting the Norwood build and setup and I love the family involvement.   I can only imagine my Granddad's enthusiasm.   :)

I see that you set it up right under that big old shade tree.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Riggs

Quote from: Holmes on January 08, 2012, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: apm on January 08, 2012, 09:02:17 AM
Greg
I thought that looks like a Zetor  too. My first tractor was a 5245 10 years ago, upgraded to the Zetor Proxima 5 years ago. Great tractors..

Yep it's a Zetor, it's a 1989 model 5045, my Grandpa bought it new. It has been a Dang good tractor.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

discypher

Thanks for the play by play.   I've got one coming on Wednesday.  After seeing your pics I'm very excited to start my build.  Is there anything you would do different?
Norwood ML26

Riggs

Quote from: discypher on January 08, 2012, 11:16:35 PM
Thanks for the play by play.   I've got one coming on Wednesday.  After seeing your pics I'm very excited to start my build.  Is there anything you would do different?
That's a really good question...as far as the build, no. If I had it to do overI'd still build it on a trailer and then move it. I would change a few things about my setup...getting it level was by far the hardestpart  about the build for me. I ordered two bed extensions, so we were leveling 25+ feet.

I will send you a pm
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

thecfarm

discypher,welcome to the forum and a mill owner. What's all the lumber going to be used for. Been around a mill before? Will you be able to post picture of you building your mill too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum discypher.  It sounds like Riggs' sawmill build was very timely for you.   smiley_reading_book

His pictorial post was a class act.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

You did good Riggs.

Being able to spend time with your Father/Son is absolutely one of life's great treasures. So many people can not or will not seize the opportunity. How sad.

The good thing about working and playing together is that it is "Instant Gratification with Lasting Memories". 

discypher

I really appreciate the pictures,  I am very excited about my mill.  I am non milling lumber for use around my farm, and my buddies cottage.  I've got a few small buildings planned, but I will start with lumber for the mill shed.  I'll post some pictures when I get started. 
Norwood ML26

Mike@Norwood

Hello Discypher

Welcome to the forestry forum. Congratulations on your sawmill as well, and welcome to the Norwood family.

Riggs - WOW, what a great thread you have going here. Great job on the mill. You'll appreciate the knowledge you gained by assembling your mill for years to come. Also, we appreciate your kind words.

Again, should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call us toll-free at 1-800-567-0404.

Have a great night fellow forum members,
Mike at Norwood

ChestnutFarm

Hey Just joined FF. This is a fantastic website. Everything from "soup to nuts", or maybe "stumps to limbs". Haven't seen a question yet someone hasn't had a crack at. Great site.
My dad and I also just finished assembling our new Norwood ML26 over the holidays. We sawed our first barn beams just yesterday. The mill works great. The good folks at Norwood mentioned that we may have problems adjusting the tracking of the blade but everything went perfect. The only problem we did have was keeping enough windshield washer fluid on hand. Constantly opening and closing the valve, as to minimize wasting it. Darn Canadian cold!!

Norwood ML26
Kioti 30hp w. FEL & Farmi 351 winch
Kobelco SR70 w. hyd. thumb

plowboyswr

Riggs just wanted to say congrats on your mill.
Chestnut farms welcome  and same to you.
Discypher same to you.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

mad murdock

Welcome chestnutfarm and discypher! Wow, 3 new Norwoods born in one thread! Cigars all around 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Riggs

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum ChestnutFarm.  Wow, new Norwoods and new members all gathering together on a very good and informative thread.   smiley_thumbsup

customsawyer

Welcome Gents. This is why we love the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Woodchuck53

Welcome guys. Great thread and a great job on the build.
I was able to go saw on a friend of mines the other day. Nice set up.
Enjoy the ride and stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

thecfarm

ChestnutFarm,welcome to the forum. First mill? Where's all the logs coming from? What's all the lumber going to be used for. You will have fun. More fun when it warms up.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ChestnutFarm

First mill. We went with the ML26 due to the fact that we don't have a whole lot in our neck of the woods over 30". The Norwood seemed to be the best bang for the buck and since I'm a mechanic by trade, putting it together wasn't a challenge. I'd agree with Riggs, leveling up the site took the most amount of time for us. Since the ground was semi frozen, we had to go at it with a pick ax, some loose gravel, and blocking. December/January are not ideal months for setting up a mill in New Brunswick.  :-\.
We have an old barn, 30' x 70' which has deteriorated over the years and is in need of repair/rebuilding. We've started off by milling 8x8 spruce for sills. Dad and I figure that we can start with stuff like 8x8, 6x6, and then resaw into what we will need later. (Compromising dry time of course on boards).
Does that theory sound reasonable?? Also, should we coat the ends of the beams with any preservative to prevent checking??

Norwood ML26

ChestnutFarm

The logs are coming from our woodlot. We have 90 acres here in southern New Brunswick. The species on our property are primarily Eastern white cedar & black spruce. Average sizes 16-22". They make decent saw logs.
I'm a marine mechanic by trade (have a powerboat repair shop) and my dad's a civil engineer getting ready to retire. I shut the shop down in the winter and thus needed something to do. We're enjoying the learning curve. There is SOOOO much to know about wood!!!  And like everything else, we're discovering as we go along that there is a tool for every job.  Peaveys and skidding winches are invaluable things!
This was another reason we went with a brand new mill. Being green to it all, I wouldn't know what was wrong with a previously owned mill. But with Norwood, as Riggs has discovered, you know your mill end to end.   
Norwood ML26

Magicman

You are going to need some Logrite tools to move and handle your logs.  Look to your left at the list of Forestry Forum Sponsors.

Thank You Sponsors!