iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sketchup!

Started by Tullivor, December 26, 2011, 08:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tullivor

I finally took a bit of time and started to play around with sketchup.  It is user friendly and i was amazed at how quickly you can learn things.  In only a couple hours i had built the third chair in the tutorial.  I am always reading your guys articles and find it amazing how you can design a timberframe structure using that program.  Do any of you use the shop list and actually go by those for cutting joints in timbers?

I dont know what my next step is.  Is the sketchup for dummies book worth buying?  All I really want to learn to do at this point is Timber Frame design.  I downloaded TF Rubies but does that mean i still have to create all my own timbers and everything?

Thanks in advance for all input

jander3

Clark Bremer has timber frame rubies info posted at the following URL:
http://www.timberframecottage.com/su/

You can download a sketchup file from the TImber Frame Plans section of the forum https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,79.0.html and use it to practice.

dukndog

I learned more from Clark's site and the manual he has, than from the SU4D book. Practice is what you need most. Took me a few weekend's of tinkering with SU and I feel very comfortable with it now.
The TF rubies is an add-on program for SU, which "cuts" the mortises for the tenons you draw. Biggest issue is making sure the right axis is chosen before creating a joint. Clark includes several timbers in his download, but you will need additional timbers for most frames. I have not used the peg tool, so don't know as much about it.
Good Luck!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Tullivor

Thanks guys a bunch for all your help.

Hopefully i make this question understandable.  I downloaded the tf Rubies and also clark's Example and timbers.  I then copied all those timber files onto my timber list under the plugins, then tf rubies key.  Everytime i go to click on one of those timbers it asks me if i want to save it, and then it opens up in a separate google sketchup page.  How do i select timbers and paste them all onto the same page?  Is that not the right library to go to to select timbers?  I hope this makes sense to somebody?!?!

Thanks

dukndog

Tullivor,

If you want to put timbers into your drawing, go to the "file" menu, select "import" and then go to the folder where you saved your timbers, or Clark's timbers. Then click on one, and it will show up in your drawing. I believe you have to choose each one individually though.
Hope this helps.

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

jander3

I've found that it is just as quick to draw the timber from scratch.  Once you are familar with the hot keys and creating joints in rubies, it goes quick.  I no longer use the library as you generally have to change or modify something anyway.   

piller

Quote from: Tullivor on December 28, 2011, 05:47:42 PM
Thanks guys a bunch for all your help.

Hopefully i make this question understandable.  I downloaded the tf Rubies and also clark's Example and timbers.  I then copied all those timber files onto my timber list under the plugins, then tf rubies key.  Everytime i go to click on one of those timbers it asks me if i want to save it, and then it opens up in a separate google sketchup page.  How do i select timbers and paste them all onto the same page?  Is that not the right library to go to to select timbers?  I hope this makes sense to somebody?!?!

Thanks

I'm not sure but I think what you want to do is to go to the Window menu in sketchup and select Components, when I do that a Components window pops up with a list of timbers in it that I can select and place in my drawing. 

Tullivor

Thank you Thank You Thank You :)

Answered my question perfectly, actually answered a few questions i had.  I am already creating my first library of Timbers.

Tullivor

But of course it leads to more questions :D

Alright i have gotten the hang of designing a timber.  When i have created the joint on the one end of a timber and included the peg holes, and i go to create the same joint on the opposite end of that same timber, i am wondering if there is a way of duplicating the joint and pasting it on the opposite end rather than creating it from scratch again?

jander3

Select the joint (component) only,  copy it, reverse it, add it to the other end of the timber.  If you are just putting a tenon on the other end, it is faster just to draw the lines, pull the tenon, and make another component/joint.

wkheathjr

I am using Mac and when try to create a TF joint, assign it axes then it doesn't cut the post or beam?

Am I missing something??

Here is the process, I create a beam and then make it component.  Double click it to make the joint and when I do the push/pull- the original component line move when it should be still?  I must be missing something!

wkheathjr

Oh! by the way, if I use "control" and Push/Pull on mac, I am getting menu instead of being able to Push/Pull.  That's why it is a bit difficult for me here..

jander3

There is a video on making a joint with TF Rubies linked below.   Normally the joint is a separate component.

http://www.diytf.com/tf_rubies.htm

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

wkheathjr

Quote from: jander3 on November 28, 2012, 07:55:18 AM
There is a video on making a joint with TF Rubies linked below.   Normally the joint is a separate component.

http://www.diytf.com/tf_rubies.htm

The video on that page was made with SketchUp on PC, not Mac.  PC and Mac has different functional so that is why I was asking how to create joint using Mac because in PC you can click on "shift" and do the pull/push with line from original component not disappearing, but if you try that on Mac, you get the 'menu' as if you are clicking right button on PC.  I tried Control, Command, and Option to no avail so thought maybe another Mac user on here can help me.  Thanks, though!

Thank You Sponsors!