iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buss planer id

Started by Sawmill_Nick, December 26, 2011, 05:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawmill_Nick

My latest project is to get this buss planer running in my shop.  It was running when I took it out of a lumber yard and I'm just checking everything over and making a new motor mount.  My quest.ion is about the model and year.  I found a model of 66 but when i look
at pics online it seems to be older.  It appears that it was made for a line shaft  pulley on the right side.

smanning

Have you visited the OWWM site? Lots of information on woodworking machines there and a lot of helpful folks. smanning

Ironwood

Looks like the predescessor to the L-4, this is a 40"er. Many times the heads on these/those are 6-8" and 6-10 knives.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Sawmill_Nick

I have determined that it is a No. 4 model.  It appears that these models were made around 1920 and it has lettering on the planer stating a patent of 1910.  Made a new motor mount, a few new belts, and sharpened the knives and it seems to be working great.  I was previously using a powermatic 180 but I prefer this planer due to the fact that the bottom rollers are also powered.

Thank You Sponsors!