iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

monster-tree-washes-ashore

Started by Texas Ranger, December 26, 2011, 03:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WildDog

I wouldn't want to hit that in my canoe.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

T Welsh

Impressive! to say the least! Thanks for sharing. Tim

treefarmer87

wonder if the wood could still be good? cut off the root ball and set up the lucas mill 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JV

I'd have to buy a bigger mill.  Bigger truck and chainsaw come to think of it.  That would be an experience just to stand next to it.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

SPIKER

Quote from: WildDog on December 26, 2011, 04:29:11 PM
I wouldn't want to hit that in my canoe.
Wouldnt want to hit that thing with a steam ship!   

man just think of the waves that pushed it up there.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Gary_C

Pretty sure the picture is a fake. I moved that picture into my photo editing program and just enlarged it and the person in the picture started pixelating before the rest of the picture did. The person has been photoshopped into that picture. The tree may be real, but it's not as big as it's made to appear.   :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Peter Drouin

Soooo   Gary-c,you say it;s a lie ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mad murdock

Wow that is a big tree!  Would love to dice something like that up, to see what it looks like on the inside.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jueston

My guess is if you cut into it, its completely solid under the first few inches on the outside.... But I wouldnt be suprised if it was a fake..... Wouldn't be the first time someone saw something and photoshopped it to exagerate its size.....

Ianab

Pretty sure it's real. If it was, you would expect other people to notice and take their own pics of it...

Found several different pics of it, all with people in them, and it looks pretty big in all of them, and they all agree that it's La Push Beach in WA

Some are on imgur(dot)com which won't link, but there is this one, all geo-tagged and everything

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/57811667

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Ian, that one in the link is not the same tree. But it sure does show there are big trees that wash up on the shore.

But I still don't know about that first picture that TR posted. Sure looks like there are two different sized pixels in that picture.

Anymore it's always suspicious when a picture of something unusual is posted with very little to show size and scale. It's just too easy to create something unusual with these digital pictures and a good photo editing program.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Along that digital line, don't count on a digital pic to verify storm damage to an insurance company. I had shingles that were poorly mfg. and poorly laid that blew off a large section of roof in a strong wind.

I took digital pics right away and got busy replacing those shingles. Insurance company said "sorry" but not accepted. They said I should have bought one of the 35 mm throw-away cameras and taken the pics.
I'm not sure such cameras are available any more.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

I'm naturally pretty suspicious of pics I see on the net too, like you say, easy enough to manipulate them.

But then we have trees that size, and rivers that flood, and while I've not seen anything quite that big washed up on a local beach, I have seen complete 5ft dia cypress trees on local beaches.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

Y'all stop, your making my sapling cry.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jocco

Well there were sitka spruce 15-17 feet straight across cut up there once. ;D Guess i would need my Mcculloch mac 125 again. :D Just imagine cutting one and losing it and it  falls backwards smiley_devil
You may check out but you will never leave

Magicman

I imagine that felling a monster tree is similar to a Linesman climbing a tall pole.  You fall off of short poles.  No one falls from tall ones.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jocco

YOU ARE CORRECT: i have lost more brush sized trees than ever  did the monsters. Don't know why smiley_devilish
You may check out but you will never leave

JD350Cmark

[ quote author=Magicman link=topic=55057.msg795388#msg795388 date=1325009534]
I imagine that felling a monster tree is similar to a Linesman climbing a tall pole.  You fall off of short poles.  No one falls from tall ones.   ;D
[/quote]

Yup, I agree.  The chainsaw and tree felling injuries that I know about seem to have involved small silly stuff. 

I use a line (5/8" or 3/4" bull line) or sometimes a cable to put a tree right where I want it.  I found it's worth the set up time to avoid it dropping in a less desirable spot.

I cut this tree about a year ago.  These are the only photos I have.  It's hard to reference the size of this tree because it is so far away and the base drops off down hill and does not seem as tall as it really is.   I am 6'3".  There is at least 100' + of line there.  A 48" bar did not come close to cutting through it - my guess it was a good 10" - 12" short.

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Woodwalker

Quote from: Magicman on December 27, 2011, 01:12:14 PM
The fall don't hurt.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

SPIKER

Quote from: Woodwalker on December 27, 2011, 07:39:54 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 27, 2011, 01:12:14 PM
The fall don't hurt.

Yep it is the sudden stop at the bottom that will leave a mark ;)  that and all the limbs on the way down, home it wasnt a thorn tree lol...
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Ron Wenrich

How big of a wave would it take to put a tree that size on the beach?  Especially lengthwise.

The first picture also looks like it has some limbs left.  Would those limbs survive in the surf?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

clww

That's a nice tree! Cut some 4" thick slabs, and you'd have most of a wall for a cabin. Of course you'd need some BIG equipment to put them in place.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

semologger

now that was a funny tread. 9 years ago and he is still thought of.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!