iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain grinders

Started by Beefie, December 26, 2011, 09:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefie

Can some one recomend a decent chain grinder in the $300- $500 range. I do almost all of my sharpening by hand , but this last area that I am cutting has had a lot of hidden rocks and barb wire My chain seams to magicaly catch. I am sick of bringing in a rocked chain, and have all the cutters turned blue by some high school kid that dosn't no what they are doing, and get charged $8-10 for it. I have lost to many good chains to that. It dosn't matter wear I take them , it seams like they all come back the same way.I figure I would recoupe my investment in a few years from not having to take it some wear and I no how it was done. I can also hand file after wards to get it Razor sharp. This for round chain not square chain.

Thanks
Beefie

Buck

I got a Carlton off Ebay last winter for the 200 dollar range does eveything up to .404. I'm wel lsatisfied with it but still file by hand as much as possible. 
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

sawguy21

The Oregon 511AX should be within your budget, it is very popular with the shops. Do upgrade from the pink wheels.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lumberjack48

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 26, 2011, 01:23:40 PM
The Oregon 511AX should be within your budget, it is very popular with the shops. Do upgrade from the pink wheels.
i have a 511ax that i bought at an equipment show $225 as he said i dont wanta take anything home when the show is over. what should i use for a wheel grinding 404 harvester chain?

Cut4fun

I have looked at the $30 $40 one posted above and HF a friend has. The plastic flexes way to much for any serious chain sharpening and no tooth is the same and the other side is different again.

Beefie

I stumbled across a chain grinder called Tecomec I guess made by Carlton. I guess its made in the same plant as the oregon 511ax are made in. Found one on Ebay for a $150 bucks. Kind of thinking maybe go that route, use it for awile and save up for a nice USA made one down the road.

What are your thoughts

Beefie

bill m

I have a Tecomec Jolly Star grinder I bought about 15 years ago. I don't use it often but it does work good.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Buck

I think you will find most are Italian
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Gary_C

Quote from: snowstorm on December 26, 2011, 03:28:10 PM
i have a 511ax that i bought at an equipment show $225 as he said i dont wanta take anything home when the show is over. what should i use for a wheel grinding 404 harvester chain?

I have a lot of hours on a 511A and always just used the pink wheels for the .404 harvester chain. I just take a light cut and once around. Seems to cut just fine and you don't grind away all your teeth trying to get them perfect. That's what the saw shops do is grind away every imperfection and that's not necessary on a harvester chain.

I'm not real happy with my 511A. Did not come with the centering vise and could see right away the teeth were different lengths on each side. Now the motor is growling at me and they want $250 just for a replacement motor. The spring that holds the head up broke and I had to bunge cord it to keep going.  ::)

Wish I could afford a Silvey.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sawguy21

The 511AX comes with the centering vise which is a big improvement. The vise also does not need to be changed to switch between chain saw and harvester chain. It is not a Silvey but does not carry the price tag.

Woodchuck53

I hate to admit it here but I have a Harbor Freight that my brother gave me for x-mas last year. It looks just like the Tractor Supply model. I bought a second set of pink wheels and saw it was only 35.00 here at our store. Like it so for and haven't noticed any problem cutting.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

tractorhal

I have an Italian made auto clamp, new in box and upgraded wheels. Will get model # if interested. Never used, still do by hand.

NCFarmboy

I would suggest a Maxx or 511AX.  Both have autoclamp feature.  I have a Maxx, 511A w/AX table, Foley Belsaw 308 and a NT 511A knockoff.   Having used all of the above I think you would like the Maxx grinder over the 511AX.  I like the mechanical clamping system better.  Whichever one you get spring for CBN wheels for it.  Resin 80 grit for fast cut or resin 120grit for smoother but slower finish.  Note the NT $100 on sale with a little work can be made to do a real nice job.  Mine is setup to do rakers only.   Check w tractorhal most grinders in this price range are made by Efco (Oregon,etc.)in Italy.  Good tools are not cheap!
Shep 
Lots & Lots of Saws

Randy88

While we're on the subject of grinders, I"ve got a oregon 511 myself, not sure which one for sure without looking at it again, I do like it but the maxx is supposed to run the wheel in both directions isn't it?   I was wondering if that's better, when we hand file we always file each tooth the same dirction but the oregon grinders file only one direction or one side of the chainis filed backwards, does it matter much or is the grinders with the reversabel motors better, I didn't see there was one with the reversable option available until after I bought my oregon grinder.   

Reddog

Just do  a forum search for Maxx grinder. There are quite a few of us using them and they seem to hold up well. The way the vise pivots the wheel is always grinding into the cutter.
I have yet to see any of these grinders in this price range that make the teeth the same length when switching sides.

sawguy21

I have never liked reversing the wheel even with a full face shield. The Oregon 511AX has a moveable clamp that allows the operator to keep the chain centered under the wheel, I have not tried it but should help maintain equal cutter length.

artmo

sawguy- just bought a timber tuff with the pink wheels. what are the upgrade options for them? art

Thank You Sponsors!