iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

coolant in oil

Started by leeroyjd, December 26, 2011, 06:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeroyjd

JD 653g:  Started losing coolant.Changed oil-at least 1.5 gal of coolant came out.Did not fill back up with oil for two weeks while contemplating whether to work on site or at mechanics shop.Decided to limp her up on trailer.Before filling up with oil I pulled plug again and got at least 2 more gallons of coolant just from sitting?  Bad liner seals? Bad liner? Someone questioned the oil cooler.
  Any advice will be appreciated!
Leeroy

snowstorm

liner orings or liners pitted through. if it dosent have a water filter ya gotta run water condishner. i had a jd with the liners pitted through and you hear that was only a cummins problem. oil cooler maybe? it dosent take much antifrezze to turn a bearing. had a 580 case i knew it was leaking tried to finish the job well loading it on the lowbed it turned a bearing.

sealark37

Corrosion damage to liner or liner seal ring area in the engine block.  If it is the block, you can repair the groove surface using JB Weld.  Make sure you use coolant conditioner when you refill the cooling system.  Regards, Clark

JDeere

We just had the same issue in our Mack and it turned out to be the oil cooler. When you replace it you may still see anti-freeze for a while as it takes some time to get it all out of the system even after draining and flushing. I hope that is what it is as this is a simple fix. The alternative is not.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

shelbycharger400

put a both leads in to the coolant from a volt meter, that will tell you the conductivity .
i usto put a few crushed up asprin in the mix... it helps.    aluminum head on cast iron blocks are the worst, across the board cars/ trucks/tractors.

snowstorm

galvant corrison tne bubbles in the colant implode inward causing the liners to pit until it makes a little hole

Randy88

Start looking at the low dollar items first, oil cooler,things like that, then if not found tear into the engine and see what happened to it, most times its the oil cooler first.    Deere has had plenty of problems with the pitted liners and liner seals that leak, as for Jb weld, I'd opt to have it welded right before going with JB weld stuff, not a big believer in that at all.

Thank You Sponsors!