iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol PH360 set up, Dust Collection Questions

Started by mjl_2007, December 25, 2011, 07:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjl_2007

Finally got the PH 360 set up and just about ready to run some boards through it. Right now I have a Grizzly 2HP dust collector. I'm guessing it won't handle all the chips. I've been told I should have at least a 5HP blower? I would like to have one blower hooked up to the PH360, plus a few other machines in the shop and then blow all the dust and chips outside. My big question is if I am running a blower from inside the shop to the outside, am I going to lose a lot of heat in the building? I was considering a Cyclone system inside, but I would think a 55 gallon barrel would fill up fast with the 360 running. Any thoughts on this or what others do with their dust and chips?

Thanks.

OntarioAl

mjl_2007
I envy you and maybe some day I too will have a PH360. I do my planing with a small thickness planer and a 1/2 in spindle wood shaper I do all my planing outside because of the amounts of shavings that these small machines will produce.
I use a shop vac cylone system to keep the shaper cutter head clear when I set it up to made moulding and it fills a 55 gallon (45 Can) drum in just over an hour (I use a thick walled plastic drum that fire fighting foam concentrate is shipped in as it does not collapse under the vacuum)
Your machine  is larger and will bury you in a mountain of shavings very quickly. 
I assume the 5 hp blower is the manufacturer's  recommendation to remove shavings and chips from the cutter heads and with that amount of air flow you will have to exhaust outside into some type of containment and that leads to your question
If Mn stands for Minnesota the answer to your question is yes it will be getting cool in your shop.
Purhaps a dedicated outside air source piped to the Ph360 would minimize the heat loss
Hope this helps with your train of thought
Al

Al Raman

DGK

I have 2 systems, one for the 260 that I just installed that goes outside, and one for the rest of the machines that stays inside with HEPA filter. If using just the planer and during the winter, I will use the HEPA system connected to the 260 to avoid losing the heat.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Brad_S.

Putting your cyclone outside and adding a rotary airlock will allow you to recover your heat and be able to dump chips in a pile or container outside.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

scsmith42

I have a separate room in my shop building with a dump truck and a couple of blowers feeding it.

The Baker M412 (similar to your PH 360) is hooked into a 25 hp blower.  5 hp may be a bit light for your 360 unless it has an unrestricted exhaust; you may want to bump up to 7 or better yet 10 hp.

Yes, you will probably lose some heat outside the building; Brad_S's suggestion is worth looking into.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Doug Wis

I've got a 360. Running in a cold shed so heat isn't an issue. I've got the big blower logosol recomended. Think it's at least a 5hp, maybe  even 71/2. only have run about 5000 ft through it, but that was enough to fill a14' forage box full. lots of shavings coming off that machine. You need lots of suction to keep the machine clear inside. I'm sure youi will overwhelm your 2hp unit. plan on posting pictures sometime soon, bu t thought I would share my limited experience with you.
A man who says he can do everything at 65 that he did at 25 sure wasn't doing much at 25.

mjl_2007

Norm

mjl_2007

Norm

That's what I thought from your avatar picture. Thinking of getting a PH360 in a couple of years so will be interested in how yours works out for you.

mjl_2007

Quote from: Norm on December 29, 2011, 07:01:58 AM
That's what I thought from your avatar picture. Thinking of getting a PH360 in a couple of years so will be interested in how yours works out for you.

Norm,
Your more than welcome to come and check out the 360 some time if you would like. I'm only about 20 miles from the IA border. I'm not too familiar with it yet (only put a few boards through it so far,) but hopefully will be after running it over the winter.

Norm

Thank you for the offer MJL, I may take you up on that in a couple of years.  :)

slohand

I've been running my 360 for a couple of months now. I ordered the 4 KW Logosol blower which is about 5-1/2 HP. It does a good job of keeping the 360 cleaned out, no issues at all with plug ups in the machine.

The blower itself though has given me some issues. The impeller used in the blower is a very efficient design, similar to a water pump impeller. It moves air/chips well running kiln dried fir, but it has a tendency to plug in the blower itself on some species namely cedar and yellow cedar. These species tend to shave rather than chip, and the very thin layers (like cigarette paper) tend to wrap around the infeed ends of the impeller vanes.
I ran just three boards yellow cedar air dried stock and it plugged it solid.

I have the blower very close to the 360 and it is connected to 8" hard pipe and is blown out to a Torrit cyclone and that does a good job of directing chips down into a 5 yard bin. We can fill that bin in one eight hour day.

I actually have other blowers, larger and smaller, and if I can't figure out how to solve the plug up problem with the Logosol blower I may put a more conventional blower likely 7-10 HP in place. It will have the paddle type impeller which I expect would be less prone to plug up with the problem species.

As far as the 360 itself, so far we're pretty impressed. The design feature which has the top head move up and down is the real winner. We have been experimenting with rollcase infeeds/ which can all be at the same level and never change. We also have a Woodmaster 725 with ripsaws in front of the 360 to do straight line edged moulder blanks straight into the moulder.

I'm fairly confident that, after we get a little more experienced on the machine and setup we'll be able to put out 1000 sq feet or more of flooring per day.

Back to your blower/ heat-loss issue, what you need for heat recirculation is a suction/bag house system which filters dust/chips and then blows the air back into your building. I actually have a complete system like that 10 HP for sale but we're a little far away.

You definitely need something more than a 2HP dust collector though.

mjl_2007

Thanks for your input, slohand. From all the responses I've been looking for a bigger blower and have come across a 10 HP that I will probably go for. Just out of curiosity slohand, do you have any pictures of that 10 hp system you have?

slohand

MJ
I'm sure you'll be good with a 10 HP blower. Getting the heat back in the building I think would only be possible with some kind of filter recirculation system.

Out here it rarely is cold enough to be much of a consideration and my Logosol is in unheated structure.

This link is to my ad for the blower system. I'm expecting it will be sold by this weekend however.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Apsco-Large-Dust-Collector-_16220269

Thank You Sponsors!