iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Three Daughters and Three Presents

Started by WDH, December 25, 2011, 02:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

All are fantastic but the figured one,really pops!

Care to share the plans? ;D
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

SwampDonkey

Hard to beat good walnut, especially figured walnut, eh? ;) I like it as a good contrast with our native "white woods" up north. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

James,

The plans are very simple.  The sides panels are 20" wide by 30" tall.  The front is a face frame that is 22" wide by 30" tall.  The face frame is 1 1/2" wide on the sides.  The bottom rail on the face frame is 2 1/2" wide, there is a middle rail 1 1/2" wide, and the top rail is 2" wide.  This allows for two drawer openings that are 19" wide by 12" tall.  The drawers operate on two high quality drawer slides, one on each side of each drawer opening.  The back has a top, middle, and bottom rail that connects the two side panels at the back.  Two plywood panels between these support rails complete the back.  The top is 24" wide by 21" deep so that it can overhang the carcass by 1" on the front and two sides.  Moulding strips are applied under the overhang of the top, and there is moulding at the bottom front and sides of the cabinet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jamesamd

JD350Cmark

WDH,

Those sure look stunning.  :o  Nice work
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

WDH

James,

Danish oil first coat, allowed to dry completely for several days.  The oil really brings out the beauty of the walnut.  Then buffed with 0000 steel wool.  Then, a coat of satin poly.  Once dry, buffed with steel wool again, and a final coat of poly.  The oil is for beauty, the poly for protection!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Not that you haven't already heard it but those are truly beautiful!  Your daughters will cherish those for a lifetime  :)

P.S. I was gonna try changing my name from Patrick to Patty but the real Patty beat me to the punch  ;D

SwampDonkey

Danny, do you cut your own trim? Always wanted a shaper because I'm always wanting a piece of moulding and I refuse to buy moulding, too pricy.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Miss Patrick....

Naw, that won't work.  Somebody would see through it  :D.  If I show up with all these daughters, a red oak one, maybe a maple and a cedar, my wife will get very suspicious  :).

SD,

Yes, I make my own mouldings on the router table. 

iffy

Beautiful cabinets! Do you have one of those woodworking brands that you can heat up and burn your signature in to the bottom side of a project? I am getting ready to order one for myself and i regret that I did not do this 50 years ago so all my projects would have been branded.

LeeB

I have one of the brands and it sits in my tool box because I always forget to use it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

isawlogs

Nice Danny Daddy, I am sure my sisters will like them , when can I be expecting mine

:-* :-*  Marcelle  ;D :-*
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Are you the aspen daughter or the birch daughter?  I get confused  :-\.

OneWithWood

Beautiful work, Danny.
I am amazed not only at the quality of your work but also the amount of work you get done.  Obviously you are never bored.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jamesamd

Quote from: WDH on December 30, 2011, 12:00:16 AM
James,

Danish oil first coat, allowed to dry completely for several days.  The oil really brings out the beauty of the walnut.  Then buffed with 0000 steel wool.  Then, a coat of satin poly.  Once dry, buffed with steel wool again, and a final coat of poly.  The oil is for beauty, the poly for protection!

I agree 100%,Danny.Nothing makes it "pop" like oil.
Jim

CHARLIE

Beautiful woodworking! I know your daughters are proud to have them. 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WDH

They all took them home when they left after the Holidays  :).  Those suckers are heavy!

SwampDonkey

Built something from solid wood and you know you've got something when it comes time to lift and move them. :D

WDH

It is amazing that you cannot buy solid wood furniture anymore without working your butt log off in order to find it or have it custom made.  And then, it costs a fortune.  You made a comment about the Mass Market being "cheap focused".  You are definitely right about that. 

SwampDonkey

Yup, in money and quality. Which I'm sure you meant also. ;)

All the furniture factories closed up here years ago. Kinda reminds me of all the cotton mills between here and Boston.

Axe Handle Hound

I'm a little late in posting, but just wanted to say those look great.  That walnut is beautiful and the design of the cabinet is really nice.  I agree, you can hardly buy solid wood furniture anymore.  Everyone wants cheap furniture that they can throw away in 3 years once the veneer over the chipboard starts to crack.  Clearly that won't be the case with these.  No doubt your daughters will have these for a long, long time.   

WDH

Thanks everyone.  One of these days, I am going to build something for myself once I get all the furniture needs of my women met...............wait a minute, that may be a long time coming  :D.

SwampDonkey

I build everything for myself. If anyone wants anything bring cash. Just one of my rules. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!