iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Morgan edger...Help

Started by Banjo picker, December 24, 2011, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I have the opp. to buy this little edger for what I percieve as a good price.  Does any one have any information on this model unit that would be helpful in making my decision?  I am aware that Morgan is no longer in business...and that it is missing an infeed belt, which will cost a couple benjamines.   :o  But any info would be greatly app.... It has a 10 hp elect. motor that runs the saws and a samller one that runs the belts....Banjo

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Taylortractornut

Tim a belt wont be too bad, My buddy that has the urplus store in  Muscle SHoals is a belt dealer.     You may need to build a phase converter for it or buy a static converter if its 3 phase.      That looks like a product from  the  mill remodel down the road lol.      Looked at buying some  pumps there the otherday.    I think I may have 2 edger blades you can have to.     If it needs any retipped I have a man also at MS that can retip for about 45 cents a tooth. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Bibbyman

We've had a Morgan Little Champ for almost 10 years.  Almost no problems with it. Changed the main drive belt out at least one time.  We thought the gear box that runs the belts was going out.  Took it apart and cleaned it out and put new oil in it and it ran ok so we decided to run it until it failed.  It's still running fine.  I did replace a bearing on the sliding blade mounting block.  I got the parts from a place that took over maintaining Morgan equipment.  They knew what I needed and got it to me.

Our Morgan has 12" strobe blades.  Easy to change out.  I sharpen them by hand using a blade grinding setup.

A guy south of us had a portable Morgan Little Champ.  It had an 18hp engine.  Also two wheels on one end.  The portable part was it came with two ramps and you could wheel it into a PU.  Always an option to convert it to an engine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Bibby can you post the info for that company?
I have a portable Little Champ and it has cut lots of wood.  Mine has the 27 hp Kohler there is over 4000 hrs on it and it has needed few repairs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

It's been a while.  I'll have to do some reserch.  I remember a post someone made anouncing Morgan going out of business that I posted the contact info on who took over service for them.

Here is what I posted before...

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 20, 2010, 10:29:39 PM
We got a letter the other day from Sawmill Supplies LLC. that told that Morgan and Arklatex Mill Supply had closed as of April 2, 2010.  But they (Sawmill Supplies LLC) could supply most replacement parts for Morgan Saw equipment. 

They list a phone number 318-847-4388 but no web site.

The Morgan Little Champ was made by yet another Morgan in Serepta, LA.  Lonnie Morgan was the one that ran that company.  I think it was his bother that made a chopsaw and an uncle that hand Morgan Saw.  That's the way I remember it.
Sawing since '94

Kansas

We have a Morgan edger and love it for grade edging. We still haven't fully utilized it due to space constraints, but that will change now. As far as the belt goes, that looks very close to what the Talon Edger from Timberking would look like. If the other leads don't pan out, you might give them a call.

Banjo picker

Is the edger that I have pictured the Little Champ model?  I have not seen this unit in person. I do not know the specs of it.   How thick of a board will it edge?  And how wide will it edge?  I had them put a tape in one of the pics, but it is turned so that it cant be read>   :-\  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Bibbyman

Looks like the little champ model. Ours has 14" blades and I think will edge up to 3". We have edged a lot of 8/4 on it. Our unit has an adjustable belt speed. I don't know if they all do.

I remember it will make a board up to 16" wide and will take a flitch up to about 30" wide. I'll go out later and measure to make sure.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Our Morgan Extended Little Champ is 12-13 years old.

Only replaces the belts to the main motor.

We did have a piece of KD 6/4 white oak explode in the blade box. It destroyed both blades and bent the shift handle.
Before that the edger was very accurate. We tried to straighten the handle, it's close but not quite right.
It's good enough for Grade Lumber, but if we need precise widths we edge on the WM.

Check to make sure the movable hub is not seized to the mandrel. Then check the inner spacing of the blades compared to the setting marks.  Finally check to see if the shift handle will set in one spot and not move.
Our machine has little teeth to keep the handle from moving. Your unit is older than ours and Bibbyman's.
If it does have the little teeth check the ones on the handle. They will break off if the handle is thrown form 4" to 16". This is a real problem with short armed operators switching to wide boards.   >:(

https://forestryforum.com/images/YaBBImages/userpics/IMG00003lj.JPG

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

customdave

Well Banjo, good lookin unit , if the price is right  I'd jump on it , have fun deciding...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Banjo picker

Well the oldest son and I went and got the unit today...About 500 miles round trip.  I know one thing for sure.  It is HEAVY.... More to come   Banjo

Magicman

Congrats Tim.  It will be interesting to follow you on your latest venture.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

I was down in you and fish's neck of the woods ..to pick it up yesterday, but by the time we got it loaded, it was raining pretty good.  So I didn't even call James and we went right through Meridian, he will probably get me for that.  It was under a shed, and I am happy with the price I gave, but I do have a project to work on ...Left home at 5:00 and got back home at 4:30 yesterday evening....It was back in the sticks...a little town called Louin was close by.  Banjo

customsawyer

Congrats on the edger. I don't know how others do it but for me I do it a bit different depending on my mill set up. If I am in Hazelhurst I have it all in line and extra help so I run both the mill and the edger at the same time. If I am at the mill at the house by myself or with just one helper than I run the mill for awhile till I get 4 or 5 logs done then take the stuff that needs to go through the edger over to it. I don't go for the high production numbers at the house as I am usually milling alone.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Banjo picker

Thanks MM and Customsawyer,  I will set it up parallel but about 10 ft. to the side of the mill and about 15' or so behind the mill.  I will build two tables that will set in front of the edger to hold the boards that need edging.  The tables will stockpile the mat. untill I edge them.  I have the floating blade freed up nicely and the yoke that moves the blade as well....One of the edge pieces that move the blade was broke off, but I did get it....I will get it wielded back on probably tomorrow....If I can get one of the boys up here a few min.

I had thought about building roller tables for the two holding tables, but don't think that will be necessary as the biggest mat. will be 2 in stuff. It has 12" blades on it.  They are two pieces blades.  I have changed out a few alimites (grease zerks for those above the mason dixon), and have some more to go.  Banjo

Banjo picker

I got the pieces put back on the unit.  Had one blade sharpened and one completly retipped....picked up a 36 in conveyor belt at a junk yard for free, cut it down to size and bought a box of alligator belt connectors off e-bay for $17.00...and I no longer edge on the mill.. 8) 8) 8)  ....I love it....Banjo

customdave

Right on, sounds like a great buy! enjoy  8)...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tim looks like you got a great little edger for your mill there Mate  :) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Banjo picker

Things have gotten a little hectic at the day job....the mill seems to be calling me back....don't know if I can make it 5 years and 7 months or not... >:(

Chris I notice that your avitar says you are in Al....If you would pm me your add.  I will send you your red Meadows hat that got left here... ;)  Banjo

Taylortractornut

Hey Tim  I havent been able  to get by there with those belts.      I forgot I had some on the back of the truck   when I saw you leaving work the other day.     If you still want them theres some piled on  a pllet  at the end of my drive way where I unloaded my truck.     
My overload permit starts after sunset

Banjo picker

Thanks Taylor, but I think I'll wait till you are there ....I have seen your dogs. ;D  I might swing by one evening after I get off work as see if the big red Dodge is there...Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!