iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bah-Humbug! A Christmas Story.

Started by Bibbyman, December 24, 2011, 12:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I wish I could enjoy Christmas like I use to. 

When I was a kid, well, I was a kid and what kid does not enjoy Christmas.  Our home was pretty humble but that didn't matter.  Still the tree, the food, the family was all exciting.  The few simple gifts I got was always plumped up with new underwear, a pair of blue jeans and flannel shirts.  The tree was always a cedar tree cut on the farm and decorated with a few glass ornaments we had (that would probably now be collector items).  We had lights that were the kind if one bulb burned out they all were out.  Icicles were kept from year to year.  By the third year they were pretty pathetic.  They were usually blobbed on but what the heck.

Our little one-room school was always exciting around Christmas.  Uncle Norman would bring down a cedar Christmas tree and set it up.  Each of the 8 kids in the school would get a sheet of 8.5x11 colored paper to cut up and make paper chain to decorate the tree.  A grocery sack of popcorn would come from somewhere to string.  Someone would make a star and cover it with aluminum foil for the top.  We'd have a Christmas play.  The stage was in the front of the school room and the curtains were bed sheets hung on a clothes line strung across the room.  I played Ebenezer Scrooge in the last play performed there.  I enjoyed it.

In my early teens,  my mom worked at Western Auto in town.  Somehow I worked evenings and Saturday the last few weeks before Christmas wrapping packages, helping take things to the car for the customers and putting together bicycles, wagons and such.  The town was all decorated and it was something for me to spend so much time in town.  I could go across the street and get a burger at a little café.  This was all a novelty to me.

After Mary and I got married and soon had the two boys,  Christmas became exciting again.  But it was always busy.  Standard program was to get up and open gifts, eat breakfast, go to my folks and open gifts, go to Mary's folks and open gifts and eat dinner, play a game that someone got for Christmas for a couple of hours, then back to my folks for Supper.  Eish! What a long day!

Our tradition was for me and the boys to go hunt up a Christmas tree - always an indigenous cedar.  I'd pull out the single action in 45 Long Colt and we'd be off.  We'd hunt far and wide for just the right tree.  The rule was that they could pick out the tree but they had to drag it home.  Often it was something like 20' tall.  They'd drag it a ways and abandon it or we'd cut the top out of it.  Still the top would often bend over at the ceiling.  They were pretty pathetic but I'm sure the boys thought they were the best ever.

In the mid-80s we were in a larger house and my folks being older, we started having Christmas dinner at our house.  Then the boys grew up and left the Navy and Marines and Mary's mother passed away and Christmas kind of changed.  We had get-togethers with Mary's sisters and exchanged gifts.  I think we had a $5.00 limit so the gifts were gloves, ice scrapers, picture frames, etc.  Then the rules changed and we drew names.  Then there was no gifts, just a visit,  a "feed fest" as I called them. Mary's older brother passed away and so did the family get-togethers.  Sometimes Mary would get a call from one or more of her sisters on Christmas day, even though four brothers and sisters live within 5 miles of us.  We hardly ever see them unless a chance meeting at the gas station or Wal-Mart.

When the boys were back home and the folks were more able, we all had Christmas at our house.  I think I enjoyed this time the best.  But now one son is in Minnesota.  He and wife visited last weekend and won't be down for Christmas.  Older son and Brooke and Alex will be here today but not tomorrow (Christmas) as they have a bunch of other places to be on their mother's side of the family.  My folks are too feeble to get out in the cold so we'll take them up a plate and later go up and exchange gifts with them.

My Dad's pretty indifferent about Christmas. He gets all the women Whitman Samplers for Christmas.    He passes out cash to the men folks.  Mom tries to put on a big shopping spree but really can't do it anymore.  She works everyone over starting in November as to what they want for Christmas.  We tell her nothing but that won't do.  One year I told her a cheap pocket watch so three years running I got a pocket watch because that's what she remembered I wanted.  Always get insulated underwear – the kind I won't wear so I've got a drawer full.

They are impossible to buy for.  So often I'll perform some service like build a better ramp to their front door and tell them it's their birthday gift or Christmas or whatever is nearest.  Still have to get them something – usually a robe for Mom and a puzzle for Dad.

Mary's been in Christmas mode for a month now.  She did the deep cleaning two weeks ago before son and daughter-in-law showed up for a couple hours visit and ham dinner.  She's been cooking, shopping and wrapping all week for today.   Out tree is a stick together fake one that comes pre-strung with lights.

The granddaughters are teenagers now.  There is nothing we could buy them that would impress them.  Many of the things they want we wouldn't buy because either they're inappropriate or would be a negative influence in their development.

Well, son and granddaughters came in so let the show begin. 

Mary and I will probably pass a quiet Christmas day alone.  I'll go up and visit with the folks for awhile.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Merry Christmas, Bibbyman.  We'll be thinking of you and all our Forestry Forum family on Christmas Day.

Bill Gaiche

Good story. Merry Christmas Bibbyman's. bg

two tired

bibby, your not alone as there is a lot of us that can relate to your story, great story, merry christmas  to all
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Texas Ranger

Christmas in Missouri, Thanks, Bibbyman, that was my Christmas's, as well.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a Happy New Year.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodchuck53

Well stuck at work for the Holidays. Met the helicopter this morning for the last minute parts that were ordered. Fueled it up and opened the cargo hatch. One of the engineers went home to Ludawicy(?) Ga. and had sent us some Claxton fruit cake and Ga. praline candy. Looks good.

A couple guys forgot about the dirty santa game so a few extra 20.00 limit gifts made the bird also. The big black cook from New Orleans is out so we will eat way to much of her great cooking.

95% of the crews are home so it is just 14 of us here for the skelton crew watch. The Giants and Jets are on in the control room and I got the FF up on one of the monitors re-reading some of the ealier post that I haven't seen in a while. Tomorrow we will make our rounds and settle in for a quite day. About 4 we'll eat and then start the gift giving. That will be a whoop as you can option some eles's gift if you want it. But could loose it to the next round. All good fun and a lot of laughs.

Get out of here Wedensday and have a late Christmas with the wife and my kids with their family's. Holidays at work. Overtime to pay for all that I'm sure she bought.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all and stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Magicman

Merry Christmas Bibbyman and Mary.  Your life has evolved such as ours has.  People grow up, some die, and life goes on, just in a different way.  I am the "old codger" now.  The family will be here tomorrow evening for Christmas supper.  In the meantime, Pat and I will spend a quite day together.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Great story ! I felt like I had wrote some of it  :D life was good ands still is but the past always seems better to me . Thanks for scharing and I hope everyone has a great hoilday season Bill.
Bill

sawguy21

Thanks for sharing that Bib. You brought back some wonderful memories of Christmas as a kid, searching for that perfect tree on friend's wood lot was special.
My dad passed away a few years after I left home and Christmas changed. My sister and I tried to be home with mom but it was not always possible. After she left us the season became something to be endured, just get it over with. It sure was not like the tv commercials.
When I got involved with Karen in 2008, I inherited two wonderful grand daughters I have become very close to. Since then her son gained a step daughter and one of his own. Christmas is fun again although I still dislike the sappy music.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Buck

Merry Christmas Guys! I still have a house full but thoroughly enjoy ya'll. Merry Christmas to each and every one.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Burlkraft

This year has really been a challenge for Jill and I. And not only for us, but for all our close friends and families and others that we may or may not know , but have made life a stressful, depressing, angst ridden struggle for all of us. There are a lot of those "unknown " folks, too many to name.
In times like these, hard times, which I believe have been as hard on us as people and a nation, as those who suffered through WWI, The Great Depression or WWII.
In the last 3 years I have seen feasts go to famine. I have seen many a good man die needleesly from the wars both here and abroad.Soliders die and get wounded. Here at home returning warriors are dying by thier own hand. Honest hard working middle class businessmen who one day die suddenly at home. Later we find out he was broke because he invested everything he had, even his families Christmas, back into his business to keep his few remaining employees through the Holidays.
We all know they were found in the garage or the truck or the woods.
Elections
Occupations
Recalls
Protesets
Conflicts with Authority
This sounds more like Egypt than America
It's hard to find something to be truley thankful for this year.
I am very thankful for Jill and all she does for me. She is a rock (when I need her to be) I am also very thankful for the 4 REAL friends I have, The kinds of friends who you could call no matter what and you would do the same for them. The kinds of friend that no matter what you do...you will always be friends.

And maybe I'm thankful for everything that has happened. What doesn't kill ya will make ya stronger...right?
I am now the meanest %$#@*&^ in the valley.

Happy Holidays Everyone  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

I've not been too excited about Christmas for a very long time. We go to mom's brother's place for dinner. She and dad spend Christmas eve up there. I go up for dinner. Mother gets us all a gift. I don't bother with no gifts, and don't want none. I do like Christmas music however.  ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I miss it too Bibbyman. Life was alot better way back in some ways.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

Bibbyman, I agree.  My daughter and her 2 kids are supposed to come by tomorrow; I haven't seen any of 'em in a year now.  (They live about 70 miles away...  At least I think they still do.)  Don't know if I'll see my son and his wife or not tomorrow.  If I do, they'll get the same present I bought for 'em last year!  It's still sitting in a corner of the living room, still wrapped up.  I think I'll swap out the candy canes on it though.
     Christmas just ain't what it used to be.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

sandhills

That also brought up a lot of fond memories for me Bibbyman, as a child we spent every Christmas eve at Grandma and Grandpas house, then had our immediate family Christmas on Christmas morning.  Now, with the grandparents gone, and one brother and his family a 12 hour drive away it just isn't the same.  This year is especially tough, we had a funeral for an uncle today that truly left his mark on the lives of all in the family and was always there at grandma and grandpas on Christmas eve, if nothing else it's made me realize how badly I want my kids to have as good of memories as I have of Christmas time when I was their age.  My teenage/pre-teen daughters wanted nothing but money, and as you so politely called it "inappropriate" clothing, or gift cards so they could buy said clothing, ipads (or ipods, I have no idea what either are), so they're getting a little dirt bike  ;D.  Spoiled, yes, but it will get them outside.

paul case

Thanks for the stroll through your memories. I really enjoyed it.
We used to go get a cedar tree too and in a way I miss that. I guess the great memories are made by things changing. Anita and I are still in the busy stage of life. Tomorow will start with gifts at home with our boys and the cow chores for me and no doubt I will drive the church van and  then Sunday School and church. At 2 Anita's family is coming by, just for kids gifts. I am cooking a turkey for Her , Dakota and I for supper tomorow night. Scott is going with his girlfriend to her family get together at Norman, OK at 4. It is busy, but it is where I am right now.

Don't let all of the stuff get in the way of you enjoying Christmas this year.
Merry Christmas  to all of you. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bibbyman

I thought about this post for at least a week.  I was reluctant to tell such a dark story on Christmas Eve.  I'm happy to see it has struck a chord.  Maybe sad too that others are feeling the same loss of excitement or just being a reluctant participant.

We had our Christmas with my oldest son and granddaughters today.  All went pretty quiet and well.  The girls were pleased but really were not excited about their gifts but they were not really exciting gifts.  The only child gift was a package of Play-Doh.  Brooke still loves to play with Play-Doh.  She's the crafty one.

We exchanged gifts with my folks.  We didn't stay long as they wear out quickly but I think it made their day.  The girls were excellent with them even though they got some cloths they probably won't wear.  Mary made them each a plate of our Christmas feast for their supper.

Maybe there are a lot of things going on here.  One, the economy has most all of us in a funk.  We're just not in the mood to buy frivolous junk.  We saw some things that would make kind of a gag gift but passed them up for more practical and durable items.  Some may think it odd, but I got each girl a big box of brand name cereal.  Cereal has got so expensive; Mary's resorted to buying store brands or none at all but instead cooking something for breakfast.  So odd gift or not, they thought it a special treat.

Also,  it's become politically incorrect to make any public display of celebrating Christmas.  I think that's just plain wrong.  It would be just as wrong to suppress others from practicing their religious customs.

The definition of a family has evolved to where being linked by DNA does not necessarily make you a family.  I think us here on the Forum think of ourselves as members of a family even though we're not related and in most cases have never met each other face to face.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

We do not get to choose our family, but we did choose our family of Forestry Forum friends.  I consider each of you as being special and value your friendship.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Very well said MM.
We celebrate our Christmas with immediate family in the summer now, as winter travel was just getting too difficult and at times risky.
All four children have their respective families to celebrate with now over these holidays, and we are quite alright with that as they need to develop their own family traditions. Fortunately, we are a close family in friendship and mutual caring.
(kind of like how the FF is to me and all 'my' friends).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

stavebuyer

Thanks for sharing that Bibby. I stubbornly clung to cutting cedar trees for quite a while. Times and technology change and at the expense of families it seems.
I love keeping a fire in the woodstove, the taste of garden vegetables, and things built by hand. We seem to want alot more than we need.

thecfarm

I noticed alot less Christmas decorations. I hope it's not just because people are so called too busy or too lazy. We put up alot,takes hours,but we don't mind. A half hour putting Christmas decorations up would not kill anyone.I don't think I mentioned it,but I almost got into a fight with a LL Bean employee. A course they are all told to say happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas which from a business view I can kinda understand it,don't want to "offend" anyone now would we.  ::)  I said Merry Christmas as I always do after he helped me and he told me it's happy holidays now. I mentioned I know what you have to say,but I can still say Merry Christmas to to you. He came back with some speech,or tried to that it's all happy holidays now. I interrupted him and said Merry Christmas again and he started the speech again. I told him I know what you have to say while you are getting paid here but I can say Merry Christmas if I want to. He started in again and I just had to walk out the door. Must of got one of those non believers in something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

As an employee, he was very wrong to push the issue, no matter what is belief is or what his employer directed that he should say.

You were very right to say what is in your heart.

Bibbyman

Here is how I decorated...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5-OC_5rksk

I just fired this up on our big screen TV.
Sawing since '94

Roxie

We didn't put any lights outside because our electric bill is already more than we can handle.  However, we've got a 20 pound ham in the oven, and more joy than we deserve because we've got each other, and a healthy growing family. 

I find great comfort in the fact that when I look back on my fondest memories of my childhood, and specifically Christmas, not one single toy comes to mind.  The things I treasure are my family, all together and just loving life. 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!