iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

VOIP and 911

Started by sawdust, December 24, 2011, 09:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawdust

I had an interesting encounter earlier in the week. We arrived at the residence of a very angry woman and her short of breath husband. (Keep in mind I live in central Alberta) She is mad as at 911 because they hung up on her.... Took awhile to figure out that her internet telephone 911 call landed in the southern states, they hung up no doubt thinking she was a crank caller, twice! Third dispatch center got it figured out and linked her through to our local center.

Each call went to a different 911 center.
Dispatch will ask you for your location, keep in mind with a voip phone you might have to be less specific to start out!
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Warbird

If that had happened in America and harm/death resulted, the phone provider would be in serious trouble.  Aren't their standards there for this sort of thing?  If the RP has half a brain, she will have a serious talk with her ISP.

I have VoIP service through our ISP who just started providing services in this area.  They had to do testing and make certain all the Emergency Services location information was proper.  Over the Christmas break, I plan to call dispatch and clear doing a 911 test with them.

sawdust

Warbird I would like to know how that works for you. Normally the only messed up calls we get are either those necklace/wrist alert systems or fourth party callers.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!