iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

who has experience with mobile dimension mill

Started by woodcrazy, December 23, 2011, 10:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcrazy

have you used both their trailers? Is it practical to mill aspen 12 ft x 20 in  by one man?     woodcrazy
I miss the milling -- may try planeing -- or developing my Minnesota lakeshore

DanG

Hi, and welcome! :)  I have a MD 128.  That size log is a piece of cake to that mill, and operating alone is no problem.  Mine is on a trailer, but hasn't been moved in 9 years.  Mine is a 1988 model, and has the factory trailer, but it takes a little time to set up and level.  It is not what I would choose for the typical mobile operation because of this, but it makes a nice stationary mill.  I have no experience with the newer trailers.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Celeriac

Yep, what Dan said. Logs that size should be a piece of cake for the mill. Off bearing bigger chunks of lumber may require a little ingenuity if you're working solo.

I will admit that I have not used the loading system since we have a skid steer close by.  I have moved my mill several times and it's not a bad job once you get the hang of it. My plan is to install screw jacks on the four outside corners, which should greatly speed up the setup.

I am not sure about the differences in trailers. ???
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

woodcrazy

Thanks DanG and Celeriac for the info. I am thinking that I would like one of these. Presently I have no mill, but have in the past had a woodmizer hd, brandx, and timberking. I know aspen is easy to cut, but need something to be efficient for one man with a large supply.      woodcrazy

Magicman

Sawing Aspen, you must be developing your Minnesota lakeshore ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Celeriac

If you're interested in experiencing a Mobile mill try calling the factory. I believe they will put you in touch with local owners.  I have received a call or two from prospective buyers in Ohio.

Something else to consider is the Mighty Mite mill. I have not met one in person, but they appear to be similar to the Mobile Dimension in function.
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

DanG

IMHO, the MD and its cousins of that ilk are the best one-man mills out there.  The slabs come off in strips that are easy to handle, there is no turning of the log necessary, and the board return brings you a fully edged board at the operator's station.  If it is dimension lumber you want, there isn't a better mill for solo operation.  I have sawn many thousands of BF with mine, and almost all of it was alone.  It does have its limitations as far as sizes are concerned, much like the BrandX you had.  I highly recommend the 8" single edger option in order to maximize your flexibility. 

Feel free to ask any questions you like.  We love talking about our sawmills. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodcrazy

Majicman you are also a psycic !         woodcrazy

woodcrazy

Celeriac
   Mobile Dimension sent me some literature a couple years ago and a customer name. He was very helpful, but I want other opinions as this would be my last mill.
Seems my spelling is getting as bad as my hearing, and my one finger typeing is slowing down too.
                                       woodcrazy

woodcrazy

DanG

Yes, it is dimension lumber that I want to mill out of the aspen. Mostly 2x6 full and remainder 2x4 and 2x3 full. The 2x6 would make up for the low strength and allow for more insulation, as it reaches 55 degrees below zero not counting wind chill. Probably would set up in one place and get skidsteer ? to bring logs to the mill. I hope to sell a lot or two to fishermen to finance my project.        woodcrazy

Thank You Sponsors!