iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 435 or stihl Ms 250

Started by ianw, December 23, 2011, 04:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianw

I was looking for a new saw it will be my first i don't want a pro series and think these two will be big enough i have both dealer shops close to me and do repair work myself i was wondering if there would be any major drawbacks from one or the other. i would be using it to fell trees up to 20 in is a 2-3hp big enough for that

treefarm

Hi ianw-there's a lot of really smart folks on this forum (as you probably already know :>). There's always good and bad models in both brands and no doubt you'll get plenty of replies. I tend to be a Husky type, with a model 61 that's still going strong (and used hard) after 28 years, with one rebuild. I/we also have a Stihl 026 that's 20 years old and also still going strong and never been touched (had to add the "we" for this one, as it was a Valentine's day present to my wife back in '90, who loves cutting brush and making firewood) . This fall I bought a Husky 372xp as I'm logging hemlock this winter (in between thaws, but that's another subject) and it screams-limbing's never been so easy, even on those bushy trees. There's also a chainsaw forum further down on the main page that has tons of discussions about saws-I'd try a search for each model and see what show's up-you may find everything you need. Tom
Treefarm

bushhog920

I have a ms250 and really like the chain tensioner. you do not need a tool, and i tighten mine with the saw still running. the easy start option is another feature worth looking into. 20" is kinda big for this saw it will cut it just going to be alittle slow, my 036 feels like twice the saw use it for felling and the 250 for trimming.

JDeere

ianw,  I can't tell you anything about the specific differences between those two saws, but I have had both Huskys and Stihls and they are both good. However, that size saw is way too small to fell 20" trees and buck up firewood. The minimum size I would recommend is around 55-60cc. In saws, like so many other things, you get what you pay for. Good luck with your purchase.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

sawguy21

I agree with J Deere. For your task  I would seriously look at the Stihl MS362 or my favorite the Husky 359.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Ianw -

As others have stated, a 435 may be a bit on the small side for regular cutting of 20" trees. I did use a 50 cc saw (Jonsered 2152, twin sister to a Husky 353) for my firewood for years, but 20" was something I ran into only occasionally. With some patience, it did OK on the 20" hardwoods, if I kept the chain sharp. I still use it a lot for felling and bucking with a 16" bar on it. Felling up to maybe 14", bucking up to 12" or so. If I run into something bigger, I'll use it if that's what I've got in my hands, but if I know I'm going to do a lot of the larger end of my size range, I'll use a little bigger saw (A Husky 357XP, in my case).

If as you said, you don't want to go to a pro-level saw, the Husky 450 is a decent 50cc saw, with a nice power-to-weight ratio. Still on the small side for doing a LOT of 20" stuff, but will do it if you have patience.

I'm not as much of a fan of the Husky 455 or 460 - they are a big step up in weight, for a relatively small step up in power. If you don't mind the added weight, they may be something to look at. A decent "general purpose" mid-range saw: not a pro saw, but still a step up from the low-end "homeowner" saws.

The Husky 359 mentioned by sawguy21 is a well built, 59cc saw, with "pro-level" construction. At $550 or so MSRP, it's a significant step up in price from those mentioned above, but not a saw you'll regret purchasing. The 359 is soon to be replaced by the new 555, which by most accounts is a great saw in this size range (with auto-tuning). I'm not sure of the pricing on these, though I'd bet on a bit higher than the 359.

Stihl, Dolmar, and others have saws in similar size/price ranges. For me, the determining factor among these brands would be what kind of dealer support you have.

Without more detail on what you are cutting, my recommendation would be to go for at least a 50cc saw with a 16" bar if you are only occasionally getting up to 20". If the 20" range is something you will be cutting regularly, I'd push more towards the 60cc size range.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

treefarm

Hi again Ianw-another thought-if price is a consideration and there's a model that you'd consider if it was cheaper, Craigslist and Ebay both have decent deals running through them from time to time. I just missed a couple of good, low time saws over the summer, as they go quick. I found that if someone has something decent to sell, they usually put a lot of pics with the post. The two I missed I had contacted the seller with some questions about it's history, maintenance etc. and got good info from both. It can be risky, but if you're careful, it could be another approach that may work for you.
Treefarm

John Mc

You can definitely find them cheaper on eBay. You can also buy someone else's headaches. For a first chainsaw, I be pretty careful about shopping eBay (or any used saw), unless you've got someone knowledgeable helping you on the purchase, or buy from a vendor you know you can trust.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lumberjack48

The saw i would buy , 029 or a 034, i looked at ebay, there are some good buys.
I used a 034 for my falling saw for 3 yrs, before the crank bearings started making noise. I fell about 12000 cords with it, the saw impressed me, besides felling i cut all my fire wood with it, used on the landing for bucking up, i ran 8 to 12 takes of gas a day though it. [ I used a 16" bar]

I traded for a new one, $200 to boot  8)

A Happy New Year to all  ;)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

1938farmall

just got a 435 off ebay for $189 w/ free shipping & no tax.  they are manufacturer rebuilt and look absolutely new.  started right up and cuts like a champ with a sharp chain.  for heavier work i would step up about 1 lb. to the 353.  al
aka oldnorskie

clww

The 250 is a good saw, but if I were buying, I'd get an MS290 for cutting 20" logs. Huskys are great saws, too. I have never owned one, just used them occasionally over the years.
On eBay, of the 10 saws I currently have, 8 were from there. No major issues encountered. The 090 did cost me $120 in parts and labor when I first got it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

tcrew

Quote from: ianw on December 23, 2011, 04:34:09 PM
I was looking for a new saw it will be my first i don't want a pro series and think these two will be big enough i have both dealer shops close to me and do repair work myself i was wondering if there would be any major drawbacks from one or the other. i would be using it to fell trees up to 20 in is a 2-3hp big enough for that
Hi ianw, I own a MS250c i bought new 3 years ago and used it for just firewood.I ran a 18 inch bar on it,and i liked it right up to the point it threw a crankshaft bearing. I take good care of my stuf also.So now i have it tore down and fixing it myself,thanks to all the GREAT help and info i got from this forum.Anyway back to the point,after only 3 years of light use(15cords its hole life)and having it go down on me,i knew a "home owner or Occasional" use grade saw wasnt my bag..So 4 weeks ago i went shopping for a "Mid"grade saw, found a nice 3 to 4 year old lightly used MS280C for $200.! and Its the best 200 bucks i ever spent.What a SAW! Only 1 or 2 lbs more than the 250 and the POWER and Anti Vibe on the 280 is way better.It came with a 16 inch bar,but i found a like new 20inch Stilh bar and chain for 50 and threw it on.I bought RSC chain for it now and chips fly! The saw i got from ebay. Dont make the same mistake i did, i spent almost double for the new ms250c than i did 4 the right saw 4 me, the ms280c. And another weak spot on the MS250C B E I have,was the "eazy start system",witch makes the saw start REAL easy,but inside the cover of the pull starter,the mechanism  teeth(4 of them) are plastic and one of mine broke off. And its not cheap to replace,$89.  I hope you find the right saw for ur needs,and if you take in all the great advise and info from the members on this forum,I know you will! I wish i would of found this forum sooner! lol Can save you allot of PAIN! Good Luck ianw, and Saw Safe :) ,,,,,And just so u know,the MS280c is the saw on top in my pic and the MS250cbe is the bottom saw,and pic was taken just before i took it to the dealer to find out bout the bad bearing. just over a week ago. That 250 is all orig from when i bought it 3 years ago,except chain on it. But my point is the darn thing still looks new! And the 250 is a 45 cc saw and the 280 is 54cc. Another nice thing on the 280 is the Decompression button on the top.Its a feature on all the Pro saws. No fancy crap to break,and makes it easier to start. Just push the button and give a pull. Just fyi :)
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

Thank You Sponsors!