Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Guess I will go ahead amd pursue it...

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

TreeWinder

Looks very good to me,  let's see some more.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

Magicman

If you had made it say "Knothole Sawmill" you could have mailed it to me.    ;D

BTW, that is a very nice sign, and neat work.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Buck

Ok Zopi, give us a lil run-down of how ya did it and how the saw was equipped. I'm dying to try it.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

zopi

You would knot like the postage bill...sucker weighs about seventy pounds...
I used two saws, both stihl (well, duh..) 290 and 180c nothing special about either one...and a four inch angle grinder and flapper wheel...just drew the design on the slab with a carpenters pencil and went to it...just have to be careful that the saw does not kick back.
Now that I know I can do something useful with it, I need to pick up a lancelot wheel and a carving bar for the saw.
Next project will be three dee....my daughter drew a fictional character the other day, a sand elemental that I am going to attempt in SYP.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

donny hochstetler

I do a lot of carving mostly bears n eagles its a lot of fun but has actually become more than a hobby for me , I sold over 200 bears this summer alone,my wife does the sanding n finishing n we sell at a local tourist trap  I use mostly whitepine it wont bust open like the hardwood will. If your serious about carving bears get the book HOW TO CHAINSAW CARVE A BEAR  by jamie doreen, this book is great and literly made me thousands of dollars.i"ll have my wife post some pictures after a while good luck

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Whats a ballpark figure for a bear or eagle?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ernie

Looks like you have a whole new career cut out for you, well done!
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

T Welsh

zopi,That,s awesome for the first time. keep at it . Tim

zopi

Heh...the neighbors were floored...their son got married today, and the entire wedding party trooped over to see it
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

donny hochstetler

Dale Hatfield

Zopi
Dont bother buying a  Chainsaw chain for an angle grinder. Junk. I know more New carvers that have been hurt  by the kick back from them things.  Further more if you use a  Dime or Quarter tip carving Bar You can do more than that 4 inch chain grinder mount thing. Their are better things to spend money on .
Price for a carving some people will tell you they get a 100 a foot.  Its so out of range its funny. It depends on your ability Ive  seen stuff that couldnt fetch a hundred a foot. I wont work that cheap.
Zopi send me a pm and ill give you my phone number and I can answer all ya questions about carving.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Zopi. I'm grinning....that's pretty good carving there my friend!

What kind of wood did you carve?

Now you're starting to get me interested.

If any of you guys have chain saw carvings, please post them and tell us how much you sell them for.

I LIKE THIS STUFF!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Both you guys are pretty clever with a saw.  :)

I like your sign Zopi.  :)

White cedar would be quite stable to. Just looking at some but cutoffs I've had in the basement for 20 years, there's not a check in them. They don't have to dry much from green. And if your carving is going to sit outside, it'll be a lot more rot resistant than pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Donny, those are awesome! Being a gardener, I love the mushrooms...
Will forget the chainsaw dealy... might go in for a good electric saw though...eventually.
lol I saw those four thousand dollar hydraulic chainsaw rigs...yikes..
Quarter amd dime bar setup is on the list...as is an electric die grinder...

Poston...that slab was one of the very first logs I cut on my wm several years ago..SYP.

And I agree, any other carvers out there, lets see them! Chainsaw or not...carving is carving..it is just more fun with power tools!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Swampdonkey...yeah..but if they rot those folks will be back in a few years..
lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

That's the ticket, think like a Chinaman. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dale Hatfield

Zopi
They really dont make a good electric saw if you are used to a gas saw. But if ya have to have one get a Makita . A Saburr tooth disk for the angle grinder is a great item. As well a 1/4 inch bits for die grinders.
But that depends on where you want to take this.Their are chainsaw only guys, and all tools guys. Myself im a power carver that uses very fast and high powered tools.
I think i might have a pic or 2 in my profile
Chainsaw Carver

zopi

Thanks Dale...I am not so much into limiting myself to particular tools...I have used electric chainsaws, and they are obviously not Ideal....am thinking down the road a bit, to when at midnight I have an urge...I have neighbors..lol
I will look at the saburr tooth stuff...I have read a bit about their bits..I have a nice collection of rotary rasps, just need an electric as opposed to pneumatic die grinder...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

donny hochstetler

good job there what I like about it is before youre even done you want to start the next one ,

Lud

I've been carving since I was a kid.   I do like the Lancelot disc but you best be careful as the chips really can sting and it can run on you if you don't lock and load! 

And Donk will remember my Owl, Raz

Hey, Merry Christmas to all!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Yeah the owl, that was a clever hoot. ;)

zopi

Third time....gonna have to score a carving bar soon...

Lud those are great...I dig that owl...gonna have to tackle that one too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Buck

nice stuff guys, keep the pics coming. Hey, show some of the tools and bits your using.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Dale Hatfield

Here are a couple that I have done.I need to get more photos up loaded .
Chainsaw Carver

SwampDonkey

Magicman

Thanks for sharing Dale.  I look forward to seeing more of your work.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

That bear is amazing!  That was some chunk of wood  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Busy Beaver Lumber

Dale

Those carvings are awesome. Do you ever work the chainsaw carving festival in Leo Indiana in September?

Would love to see you carve and see if I could learn something from a true master.

Zopi - I think you are showing quite a talent for this. After only 3 tries, the bear with the heart looks great.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

zopi

Aww...thanks...that log sucked though...had some rot in it...
Dale those are awesome...i really like the indian princess.

I will keep messing with it...it is fast and fun to do. Have located a couple of sites with some how to's and a little deeper info....saw a little quick bear on one yesterday that I will try...and a bear that hangs on a four by four post.....gonna try. Bear with a sailor's dixie cup.

Next year am planning to own the pumpkin carving contest...will carve the pumpkin out of wood then carve the jack o lantern out of the pumpkin...

Since I live in the ham capital, was thinking of carving a decent sized hog and having it mysteriously appear downtown one night....lol...the local newspaper owner/editor would eat that up...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Somebody said air guitar this morning....thought it would be a good warm up excercise..done in some white oak that was too iffy to put in the sticker stack...
Youngest daughter has demanded a violin done the same way. Those f holes are doing to suck...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Midget bear holding a heart...
Lined up tomorrow...punkins...I hear they sell phast....
And I am going to attempt a hummingbird in flight...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Clam77

A guitar, or violin, that can actually play.....  now THAT would bring in some money I'd think..    8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

zopi

Eh..maybe...the point of the excercise is to keep my attention deficit butt from getting..SQUIRREL!....Distracted...I like this becaise it is only as fiddly and detailed as the carver wants...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Lud

Dale,  You have an artist's eye.   Well done.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dale Hatfield

Guys
When you want to put a carving bar on you saw. A quarter size bar will fit most saws. I however I like to run them with 3/8 low pro chain. They cut like a lazer. The downside to that is that sprocket chainand bar wear very fast. It so much faster that Im wiiling to pay the extra for the speed.
I block or ruff out shape with 372 husky and 20 inch bar or 395 with a 36 inch bar depending on size of carving.
Then I move on to the Qtr tip bars. I have them on Echo 360 400 ( I think)( 14/16inch bars I think)
Then to the dime tip bars for final detail. I really dont use them much as the qtr tip does about all I really nead. I would say less than 15 20 mins per carving.
A dime tip Bar will only fit some saws as the sprocket has to changed to 1/4 pitch . Because a dime tip bar can only run 1/4 pitch chain.
Check with Baileys to see if they have a sprocket to fit your saw. http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?catid=65
I like to wear a hardhat with forestry faceshield and muffs.  Keeps the pine crumbs from sticking in my stash.
Chaps and some tunes on the MP3 player

The above info should save you a bunch of trouble and time and money. Because if you check for sprokets first, then you wont find yourself holding a bar that wont work on your saw.
Dale
Chainsaw Carver

zopi

As soon as I am able I will likely add another ms 180 or 170 with a quarter bar...might try the 3/8 low pro when my control is a bit better. I am sure the first time I get into a big sculpture I will decide that the 3/8 is the way to go.
I may get up with someone who carves woth echos or huskys and try them out...stihl is local to me and they are what I am used to.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

It is raining here today. went out and put the sawmill back in it's shed and it looks like that is about what I will get today...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

clww

Great carvings all!
Wet here today, too...
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You VA. boys ARE getting a bunch of rain. I looked on the weather map.....ya'll need to carve a boat!  :)

We got 2 inches of rain in S.C. this morning, now the wind is blowing 30 to 40 mph. They'll be NO sawdust left to clean off the LT40 in the morning!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

It's on it's way up here to. I here the old snow sliding off the roof, it's above freezing. No wind much here, yet. But suppose to be blowing in off the coast.

redbeard

I really enjoy this thread, I really enjoy watching the carvers at local events it is real popular around my area. I saw a  advertisement for a new reality TV show coming out called "Saw Dogs" about chainsaw carvers i googled it and saw some video of it. looks interesting. Anyone know any more about it.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

GF

That is some great work  smiley_thumbsup.  More pics.

GF

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

That is some awesome grain in the shroom.  What is it?  Elm?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Looking good zopi, keep at it.  :)

To darken the wood, air you using a butane torch to scorch it or something?

Dale Hatfield

Zopi
Shroom looks good .
Here is a burning tip ,2 actually, no 3  might be more when Im done.
Bigger torch is better. Dont be afraid to try a large metal cutting set up.
A  propane weed burner is nice. Soldering torch is slow and hard on wet wood .
A butane turbo burner is nice fo small detail.
I use a Plumbers accetalyne unit with quick exchange heads from large to small.
Here is how I burn. When I do. I use a lot of stain,dye and paint.
Burn it Black
Buy a couple brass brushes  One grill size and down to slightly larger than a Tooth brush. Use the brush to even out the burn. It will leave a nice  brown color.
Chainsaw Carver

Dale Hatfield

Oh another burning tip . Get a spray bottle filled with water. Squirt  the parts you dont want to burn.  Find an understudy to do all burning and brushing its dirty work .
Old saw dogs have what would be the female version of a dog to keep things fueled, chunks picked up , bark peeled, Carvings burned and the coffee hot.
Chainsaw Carver

zopi

The wood in the shroom and wood spirit is pecky old dry cypress. Cypress is fun to carve.
Yep the only torch I have right now is a little plumbers torch..have seen a couple recent ly that I will likely acquire...mid size weed burner...
I fixed the wood spirit post...apparently I did not paste in the link...oops.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

I am playing some with a wire brush in an old power sander..different effects, like taking the hard part of the grain back to a light color amd leaving the darker soft stuff black..a torch works alot like an airbrush if you play with it a bit...
I got sick of brushing on oil really fast, so I took a twenty dollar horror fright hvlp spray gun and loaded it up with oil and thinner....can hose a whole carving in seconds...much better.

Picked up a horror fright electric die grinder yesterday to augment my angle grinders...that thing is a life saver....a rotary rasp will fix up those spots where you went a little too deep with the saw in nothing flat....
I did the shroom backasswards...I started carving from the top, should have carved the bottom and flipped it to do the top...makes them go faster....mushrooms and pumpkins and ten minute bears seem to be bread and butter carvings, according to what I have read...simple stuff that can be sold to average joe for not alot, and the occasional more expensive piece...I am planning to get a few simple things out that are not too close in tolerance, and get them placed, and work on harder stuff to develop a little skill...maybe get some commission pieces eventually.
I am still sort of amazed that I can do this at all....I have always been at the far end of the suck spectrum when it comes to three dee art.....I am decent with an airbrush, but could never develop theknack to bring a shape out of a solid.
Thanks Dale, keep the criticism and tips coming please...this seems a rare sort of art and craft...one has to really dig to learn anything.
Will hopefully knock out another little one this evening and get some more done to the wood spirit...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Took this guy as far as he went...realized some shortcomings took them on board and kept moving...
Could not resist the pompadour...just watched Walk the Line...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

zopi

Lol...he is actually quite a bit lighter than the picture...it was taken right at sunset after I hose him with oil finish.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

Yes, light makes a big difference when snapping pictures. ;D

Stephen1

hey guys, Love the work, zopi, coming along real good,
Dale  I really like your indian princess.
Do we have any more carvers out there?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

zopi

That carved head brought a hundred seventy at auction...I donated it to a charity auction for the humane society held at a science fiction convention last weekend...and they made me auction it..that was kind of fun!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!