Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Guess I will go ahead amd pursue it...

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

TreeWinder

Looks very good to me,  let's see some more.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

Magicman

If you had made it say "Knothole Sawmill" you could have mailed it to me.    ;D

BTW, that is a very nice sign, and neat work.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Buck

Ok Zopi, give us a lil run-down of how ya did it and how the saw was equipped. I'm dying to try it.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

zopi

You would knot like the postage bill...sucker weighs about seventy pounds...
I used two saws, both stihl (well, duh..) 290 and 180c nothing special about either one...and a four inch angle grinder and flapper wheel...just drew the design on the slab with a carpenters pencil and went to it...just have to be careful that the saw does not kick back.
Now that I know I can do something useful with it, I need to pick up a lancelot wheel and a carving bar for the saw.
Next project will be three dee....my daughter drew a fictional character the other day, a sand elemental that I am going to attempt in SYP.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

donny hochstetler

I do a lot of carving mostly bears n eagles its a lot of fun but has actually become more than a hobby for me , I sold over 200 bears this summer alone,my wife does the sanding n finishing n we sell at a local tourist trap  I use mostly whitepine it wont bust open like the hardwood will. If your serious about carving bears get the book HOW TO CHAINSAW CARVE A BEAR  by jamie doreen, this book is great and literly made me thousands of dollars.i"ll have my wife post some pictures after a while good luck

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Whats a ballpark figure for a bear or eagle?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ernie

Looks like you have a whole new career cut out for you, well done!
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

T Welsh

zopi,That,s awesome for the first time. keep at it . Tim

zopi

Heh...the neighbors were floored...their son got married today, and the entire wedding party trooped over to see it
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

donny hochstetler

Dale Hatfield

Zopi
Dont bother buying a  Chainsaw chain for an angle grinder. Junk. I know more New carvers that have been hurt  by the kick back from them things.  Further more if you use a  Dime or Quarter tip carving Bar You can do more than that 4 inch chain grinder mount thing. Their are better things to spend money on .
Price for a carving some people will tell you they get a 100 a foot.  Its so out of range its funny. It depends on your ability Ive  seen stuff that couldnt fetch a hundred a foot. I wont work that cheap.
Zopi send me a pm and ill give you my phone number and I can answer all ya questions about carving.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Zopi. I'm grinning....that's pretty good carving there my friend!

What kind of wood did you carve?

Now you're starting to get me interested.

If any of you guys have chain saw carvings, please post them and tell us how much you sell them for.

I LIKE THIS STUFF!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Both you guys are pretty clever with a saw.  :)

I like your sign Zopi.  :)

White cedar would be quite stable to. Just looking at some but cutoffs I've had in the basement for 20 years, there's not a check in them. They don't have to dry much from green. And if your carving is going to sit outside, it'll be a lot more rot resistant than pine.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Donny, those are awesome! Being a gardener, I love the mushrooms...
Will forget the chainsaw dealy... might go in for a good electric saw though...eventually.
lol I saw those four thousand dollar hydraulic chainsaw rigs...yikes..
Quarter amd dime bar setup is on the list...as is an electric die grinder...

Poston...that slab was one of the very first logs I cut on my wm several years ago..SYP.

And I agree, any other carvers out there, lets see them! Chainsaw or not...carving is carving..it is just more fun with power tools!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Swampdonkey...yeah..but if they rot those folks will be back in a few years..
lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SwampDonkey

That's the ticket, think like a Chinaman. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dale Hatfield

Zopi
They really dont make a good electric saw if you are used to a gas saw. But if ya have to have one get a Makita . A Saburr tooth disk for the angle grinder is a great item. As well a 1/4 inch bits for die grinders.
But that depends on where you want to take this.Their are chainsaw only guys, and all tools guys. Myself im a power carver that uses very fast and high powered tools.
I think i might have a pic or 2 in my profile
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

zopi

Thanks Dale...I am not so much into limiting myself to particular tools...I have used electric chainsaws, and they are obviously not Ideal....am thinking down the road a bit, to when at midnight I have an urge...I have neighbors..lol
I will look at the saburr tooth stuff...I have read a bit about their bits..I have a nice collection of rotary rasps, just need an electric as opposed to pneumatic die grinder...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

donny hochstetler

good job there what I like about it is before youre even done you want to start the next one ,

Lud

I've been carving since I was a kid.   I do like the Lancelot disc but you best be careful as the chips really can sting and it can run on you if you don't lock and load! 

And Donk will remember my Owl, Raz

Hey, Merry Christmas to all!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Yeah the owl, that was a clever hoot. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!