iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eco-terrorism in the UP

Started by inthewoods, December 22, 2011, 09:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inthewoods

Possibly this topic has been covered previously, but I'm curious if you're all aware of what's going on here?
Reciently, a handfull of fellow logging companies around here have had some equipment disabled & burnt.  At least two that I know of went up after the operator started the machine, luckily they were able to get out fast.
Disturbing to say the least.
I guess keep the cameras on.
Safety is my #1 priority!
Awesome wife & kids
Off grid home - Hydro Turbine+solar+wind
3 blade mill, JD 440D, Franklin 170, Mack-Polar Prehauler, Fiat 14C dozer, IH 3850D loader, F600 dump, 01 F350 crew, 93 F350 idi-9'2"V, Walter, 385xp(x2), 281xp, JET 15", Partner K700, Sachs 119&120, 2159c, Etc.

chevytaHOE5674

Earlier this fall I heard about some equipment of Holli forest products and Cain brothers being burned over towards Marquette. Never heard anything about who or why it was done though.

inthewoods

One's a close friend... Just up the road.  First time they came out and put antifreeze in some hydraulic systems resulting in 50 grand in damage.  Then it was off to blowing things up.
FBI's on it
Awesome wife & kids
3 blade mill, JD 440D, Franklin 170, Mack-Polar Prehauler, Fiat 14C dozer, IH 3850D loader, F600 dump, 01 F350 crew, 93 F350 idi-9'2"V, Walter, 385xp(x2), 281xp, JET 15", Partner K700, Sachs 119&120, 2159c, Etc.

jocco

Around here it is usually a disgruntaled employee  landowner or competitor.
You may check out but you will never leave

thecfarm

We had some trouble on state land 10-15 years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Eco freaks or just random vandalism? Usually the former will leave a message of some kind.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bushhog920

tomsteve

Quote from: bushhog920 on December 23, 2011, 09:59:19 PM
here is a good vid of what a ex-employee did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIMcVxm5BSQ

and someone who now has 3 hots and a cot for quite some time to think about it.

inthewoods

Called it vandalism the first time(they came out and put antifreeze in some hydraulic systems, ruined 50 grand in pumps & related).  By the time equipment was getting burnt these guys had cameras rolling, not sure how much it's helped yet.  Apparently the FBI is pursuing a particular activist organization.  Haven't heard anything in months now.
Awesome wife & kids

inthewoods

Guess I'm kind of repeating myself

on a brighter note
Happy holidays!
Awesome wife & kids

SwampDonkey

Never hear of it up here. Mostly just timber theft.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Last I talked to my contact with Holli forest products (maybe 1~1.5 months ago) they were looking for a man and a women on blue and red ATV's in connection with their equipment fire and the Cain brothers stuff. Made it sound like random vandalism and not some activist group.

Not sure if your talking about those incidents or some other ones. Those are the only two I've heard of in the last few years, in fact the last one before that may have been the attempted fire bombings at Michigan Tech.

inthewoods

haven't heard that, but I haven't talked to Holly.
That's the last I'd heard
& I guess "eco-terrorism" was the term used by the insurance & or fbi
Awesome wife & kids

inthewoods

I know I'm a little late, but I just became a member recently. 
This info was from the other
Awesome wife & kids

Ken

Although not nearly as serious as some incidents already mentioned I had 3 of 4 porter tires flattened about a month ago.  They tried to get the cap off the last one but couldn't get it.  If I ever find out who I will probably lose my quiet demeanor.

Another local contractor had his Timbco broken into this last spring and the computer and joy sticks were destroyed.  Cost over $10K to repair. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Ken I wonder if it was that bunch that was destroying gas drilling equipment. All they are are bums whose biggest ambition is picking up their assistance cheques.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

SD  In my case I don't think it was anything related to fracking.  I think it was a disgruntled neighbour who did not like a clearcut in his back yard.  In the other contractors case it could have been as his machine was near Taymouth where a lot of the opposition has been to gas exploration. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

I suppose you can run in to those types once in awhile, but they are living in the wrong part of the world if they don't like clearcutting. ;D Near Perth the only ones making mischief are reservation residents. They look for a cause because they are bored from idleness. ;)

Kansas

Its not timber related, but I remember one incident of what I suspect was eco-terrorism. I was in a Tractor Supply Company (TSC) one time looking for something and happened to walk by where they keep the steel traps. Someone had set one of them. It was on the top shelf, so if a lad saw the traps, he wouldn't have been able to see that it was set. Don't know if he would have broke fingers, but it would have been danged painful. Might have got darned expensive for the store too. Something about that really disturbed me. Maybe because I could have pictured my 12 year old son reaching up and grabbing one to look at it.

We have had a few cases of vandalism on our skidder. Once I suspected it was just kids, another time I suspect it was a disgruntled deer hunter. We have caught all sorts of hell from them. Farmers let them hunt for free, we are writing checks to the farmer, but the hunters feel they have the right of way. Told one of them if he wanted to write checks to the farmer the size we were writing, we would pull out. He declined.

thecfarm

I have and do cut wood on my land. The deer love me. I've been to other sites talking to loggers and they always mentioned the deer that come out for the tops,food to them. Too bad the hunters don't understand that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

The hunters I lease my land to said I needed to have a timber harvest to get a bunch of young stuff growing again.  They want to see more deer.  They put food plots out, minerals etc.
My kind of hunters.  I think 14 were killed this year.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

beenthere

Any hunter in the know will opt for timber harvest, unless they might be losing their tree for their tree stand. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Of course the harvesting involves planning like anything else. In the north if you was to harvest in a deer wintering yard area in the cold of winter, the deer may eat for a spell off some tops until the snow gets deep and they can't get to it any more. Then the cold would overwhelm them and they freeze to death along with getting hungry. Cold expels a lot of body heat. With a wintering area, the cover is mature softwoods with tolerant hardwood undergrowth. The softwood canopy provides thermal cover and the deer make paths/yards through it under the larger tree crowns where snow death is shallower. Up here they do not go into clear cuts or large openings in the deep snow and cold weather. They will venture out in an active harvest area on the trails. Their coats are a lot heavier up here right now than I see in the recent hunting pictures.

Thank You Sponsors!