iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Straw House

Started by Magicman, December 22, 2011, 08:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Pat and I built the Straw House in 2000, and it has served us with many hours of enjoyment.  None of the world's problems have been solved there, but many family and personal issues have certainly been discussed there.   The T&G ERC lumber was sawn on an LT40 before I got mine, and the seed was thus planted.

The floor is 16' above the ground.  The fiberglass ladder is hidden by flitches to keep from being seen entering and leaving the stand.

Looking North across the planted Oaks.  235 yards to the right and about 200 to the left.

Looking South at the Food plot.

19 Bucks have been taken from the Straw House.  I have gotten 8, Pat 7, and 4 by Grandkids.

Indoor "plumbing" in case you have to "go".  The pipe goes down into a post hole filled with pee pea gravel.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Looks like a place I'd love to visit. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I guess that I should add the others.

This is the "Back House", because it is on the back side of my Tree Farm.

And this is the Wheel House" because it is built on an old fertilizer distributor frame and can be moved.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

I like them both I suppose you have portable heaters in them ? I always thought that I should build me one here at home that would be toasty warm I can't take the cold just to sit I freeze out pretty quick.
Bill

Magicman

Our weather doesn't get down into the low twenties very often, but when it does we either use a "toilet paper roll in a coffee can with denatured alcohol" heater or the little jewel in the lower left of the last picture in the original post above.

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on December 22, 2011, 09:52:40 PM
Looks like a place I'd love to visit. :) 
Looks like you are gonna have to make a Snowbird trip.  We also have plenty of sleeping room.   :)

I spent several quality hours in the Straw House this week and had three 8 point bucks in the food plot one evening.  No, I did not shoot, just watched.  I saw nothing this evening.   :-\

Just for curiosity I looked at the stats on the 19 bucks that have been taken from the Straw House; four 10 points, five 9 points, seven 8 points, two 7 points, and PatD's 6 point this year.

This is a frontal view of the Straw House with the front shutters up.  The glass windows behind the shutters are not open.

The Red Oak was struck by lightning several years ago sending a limb down which bent the roofing.  I also had to replace the two poles on the right side.  The dead portion of the tree finally fell this past week.

WDH

Looks like a Christmas Tree right behind it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

We are liking that Cedar coming up where it did.  It will replace that old Red Oak as a backdrop.   :)

Chuck White

Nice set-up you've got there Lynn!

I like the creature comforts you have included.

We have a couple that have the PVC going down into an upside down 5-gallon pail in the ground, and a larger target at the top end, piece of 4-inch  PVC.

I also like the way you've managed to save and display the empty brass.

Now you just have to date, note the taker and what was taken.  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on January 01, 2012, 05:11:39 PM
Now you just have to date, note the taker and what was taken.  ;D 

All of that is written on the brass and on the board below the cartridge.  Our stats are kept on a ledger board at the Cabin.

Mooseherder

Looks like a great place. :)

Thank You Sponsors!