iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks Guides....are they worth it?

Started by Cutting Edge, December 21, 2011, 11:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutting Edge

Been shopping around for a different set of guides for my mill. 

I like the sound of Cooks Saw Guides w/ "B.C. Jaw", but do they work as well as they claim? and for the money?

Or is there something equal or better for less $$$$ (I know...keep dreamin')
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

eastberkshirecustoms

Cook's guide are well built with a lot of adjustability. You can always buy the BC jaw at a later date, if needed. As far as are they worth it? - you'll have to decide on that. IMO the guides are about the most important part of the mill for sawing good lumber and not an item to be skimped on.

Kansas

We switched to Cooks blade guides some years back on our other mill. We have been very happy with those. As far as bottom side, we don't use those. Its been my experience that either a blade cuts straight, or it doesn't. If you have a blade wanting to dive, it will. Only place I know where they might help is on a resaw on narrow cuts. On a sawmill I simply don't see much for positive results. I don't think we have replaced the ceramic on the bottoms of our Woodmizer rollers in years, and I'm betting they are long gone. But outside of that, Cook's guides are well built, last a long time, and you can get all the parts and technical support you need.

GAmillworker

I switched to cooks guides about a year ago on my baker re-saw and went with the bc bottom guides.  Very happy with the performance.  I would say there is no reason for the bottom guide on regular saw for the same reasons's stated above.
Thank the Lord for second chances

ladylake

Right, adjust to 1/4" downpressure, if your blades want to dive there are other issues, dull, set, hook   etc.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Banjo picker

I don't know when Cooks came out with the BC Jaw , but I have a fairly new AC 36 which is one of their top end mills and it didn't come with the BC on the roller.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

pyrocasto

I have cooks rollers on my homemade and love them. Worth the money to save you the hassle.

Thank You Sponsors!