iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Happy solstice !!!

Started by fuzzybear, December 21, 2011, 07:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

Shortest day of the year...and it means summer is half way here!!! We gain 7 min. of sun light every day  8) 8) 8)
Just 3 weeks until we see the sun peak out from down south again. I sure do miss it.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

WDH

Things are looking up!  At least daylight wise  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sprucebunny

Happy Solstice to you !
Do you have any special traditions for this day ???

I don't think I could handle living as far north as you do. The sun is way too low in the sky even at this latitude.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

jim king

Come on down for a break.  Here the days vary a few minetes a all year.  Basicly 12 and 12.

Sprucegum

And we still have Autumn weather here. I hope winter doesn't drag out much past June  ::)

Cedarman

Sunrise is about 8:03 for the next couple weeks, but sunset keeps getting later and later.  Temp predicted to get into the low teens after the first of the year.  Very mild til then.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

DanG

Yeehaw!  Tomorrow, we'll have more daylight than today.  I don't know what is going on.  Last December was the coldest on record around here, with freezing temps almost every night.  This evening, I sat outside until after nine o'clock in a t-shirt.  Temps have been averaging 75/55 all month.  Go figger!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

fuzzybear how many hours of daylight do you have? Starts about 6:45 here and by 4:30 I have the tractor lights on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fuzzybear

Quote from: sprucebunny on December 21, 2011, 07:55:21 PM
Happy Solstice to you !
Do you have any special traditions for this day ???

I don't think I could handle living as far north as you do. The sun is way too low in the sky even at this latitude.
There are bon fires all over tonight. Help chase away the dark for a while.
Quote from: thecfarm on December 22, 2011, 07:21:36 AM
fuzzybear how many hours of daylight do you have? Starts about 6:45 here and by 4:30 I have the tractor lights on.
For the last and next 3 weeks we never see the sun direct in the sky. it is always just behind the mountains. It gets what you would call "daylight" around 11am and is dark at 3-3:30.
   This is one of the reasons people get out and work on the land here. There are places you can see and feel the sun. You have to take vitaminD or suffer from SADD , a mental/physical syndrom caused by lack of sunlight and vitamin D that is produced by sunlight.
   You don't think much about the sun in the summer here, it's always out. But in the winter you really appreciate the sun when you get a chance just to feel it's warmth on your face.

Quote from: jim king on December 21, 2011, 07:59:17 PM
Come on down for a break.  Here the days vary a few minetes a all year.  Basicly 12 and 12.
Jim,  I would last about 10 min. in your neck of the woods. Anything above 20c and I am over heated. If the humidity is above 50% , I feel like I'm in a huge dryer. I actually prefer working at -20c, You work all day and never break into a sweat.
  Good news is we are now gaining 7 1/2 min of day light each day until June 21 when the sun never sets and we start to loose it all again.  AHH! the circle of life in the north.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

thecfarm

Daylight all summer,I would never sleep.  ;D I have never seen that. Being just thrown into it,that would take some adjustment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Its good to feel winter coming on and also knowing that the days are getting longer here today the sun rose at 7:26 and will be setting at 4:12.

Hope your bonfire was a good one!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chevytaHOE5674

Gaining 10 seconds of daylight everyday for now. hahaha its almost noticable.

Magicman

fuzzybear, I watched the "sun not set" on June 20, 1997, but I would hate to see it "not rise".  Well, maybe I would like to see it once.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

If I was that far north I would almost have to go into hibernation mode.   :D  Nah just kidding, I would just need to get some good lights or have a couple of big binfires burning everynight around my work area to keep it lit up.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!