iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Meal Traditions

Started by Norm, December 21, 2011, 07:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Our two sons and their families will be coming over to exchange gifts and then a big supper together on Christmas Eve. I bought a bone in prime rib for us to share for supper. The weather is going to be perfect so I'm going to cook it on my XL big green egg. First time I've ever attempted that so hopefully I don't mess it up. Patty's making her world famous deviled eggs and twiced baked potatoes. I'm doing Keri's Hog Apple beans and a New York cheesecake for dessert.

How about the rest of you folks any traditional meals or dishes you make for the big day?

submarinesailor

I'll be there about 11AM. food2 8) 8) :D :D ;D

Norm - we do about the same thing at my mother in laws.  Everyone comes in on Christmas eve with a dish and fills up the dining room table.  As the oldest of the bunch, I get to do most of the craving, usually turkey and ham.  I just wish they could keep a sharp knife in the house.  The last couple of years I have been bringing my own knife.  The rest of the food runs from good old potato casseroles to good Philippine egg rolls – Steve, do you want some :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Bruce

Kansas

I seem to be coming up with new traditions. Since I discovered baking at Thanksgiving, already got plans for some of what I did then, plus some new stuff. Cobbled together a fudge recipe from several different ones, and made some Jose Cuervo gold caramel dark chocolate cashew fudge last night. If I would have known that the results are this good, I would have taken up baking and cooking desserts a long time ago. Having a lot of fun with it.

thecfarm

Norm,start a new Christmas tradition,invite a FF member from Chesterville,Maine.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

We are having Christmas eve dinner and then everyone is leaving and for the first time ever Jill and I are going to see a movie on Christmas day  ;D

So Christmas eve dinner is Halibut, cheesy hash browns, sweet corn pudding, fresh sourdough bread and for desert puh-con pie  ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Chris Burchfield

Christmas and Thanksgiving a traditional recipe from my grandmother, my mom's mom.  Turkey, 1-block (4"X4"X1 1/2")of shaved salt pork, about 4 large diced onions and three tablespoons of crushed red pepper.  Work some of this mix under the skin atop of the breast and thighs, some in the cavity and the rest around the bird in the roaster pan with the top on and about an inch of water within.  In the oven for temp and time consistent with the weight of the bird.  After, allow time for the bird to cool off some, then debone.  The breast will lift off.  It's not hard to separate as the meat is falling off the bone.  After debone and carving, place the turkey back into the pan with the drippings/pan sauce.  This is served turkey to the side.  Drippings/pan sauce over scratch, cathead buttermilk biscuits and/or white rice.  Cornbread dressing is optional as target for the drippings/pan sauce.  A bit spicy for some, you can reduce the crushed red pepper to two tablespoons.  One side is bacon wrapped string beans with brown sugar atop, baked in the oven.  Jellied or regular cranberry sauce is good and is ideal to break the heat from the crushed red pepper that harmonized all the flavor in your mouth if you used a little too much crushed red pepper.  All the other sides your family does with turkey will be fine with this meal.  An uncle once brought two Louisiana swamp rabbits to grandmother's, one dressed at five lbs. one at five and a half lbs.  Grandmother fixed the rabbits the same as the turkey recipe above.  MMMMM-Goooood!
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WildDog

You guys are making me hungry...  We are going to the inlaws in the next town over. Christmas here is normally hot we will have prawns, cold chicken, turkey, lamb and salads. All the girls try to out do each other with deserts, (I'm not complaining) there will be the usuall, Pavalova, Christmas pudding, fruit cake, trifle custard and ice cream :) :) ...Now I'm making myself hungry :( 
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Raider Bill

Quote from: Norm on December 21, 2011, 07:09:57 AM
Our two sons and their families will be coming over to exchange gifts and then a big supper together on Christmas Eve. I bought a bone in prime rib for us to share for supper. The weather is going to be perfect so I'm going to cook it on my XL big green egg. First time I've ever attempted that so hopefully I don't mess it up. Patty's making her world famous deviled eggs and twiced baked potatoes. I'm doing Keri's Hog Apple beans and a New York cheesecake for dessert.

How about the rest of you folks any traditional meals or dishes you make for the big day?

Hog Apple Beans? Do tell!!!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

Here's my version of it Bill.

Raider Bill

Not sure why but I can't open that file. Say's it's PHP?

Norm

Hmmm me too. I'll just cut and paste it here.

Norm's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
 2- 28-oz cans Van Camp's Baked Beans
1/2 c.Famous Daves Sweet and Sassy BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less
1 can peach pie filling (pureed in a food processor) we use Patty's homemade canned peaches
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp mild barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour.

LeeB

Try that same recipe with about 1/2 cup of Jack Daniels in it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red oaks lumber

does the jack daniels go in the cook or the beans? ;D ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

scgargoyle

Christmas Eve is always casual finger food, since I sing in the church choir. Swedish meatballs are the one thing we always have; the rest varies. For Christmas Day, I usually do a prime rib, but this year I'm throwing a crown roast of pork on the grill instead. I haven't done one in years- I can't wait!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

LeeB

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 22, 2011, 01:08:14 PM
does the jack daniels go in the cook or the beans? ;D ;D

Bout half and half.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

For 40 years, I've had an open-house Christmas Day.  My grandmother taught me how to prepare every dish that is served buffet style, as folks come and go.

Ham
Potato Salad
Baked Pineapple
Cole Slaw
Baked Butter Beans
Meatballs in gravy
Pickled Eggs
Cherry Pies

Say when

Raider Bill

Quote from: Roxie on December 22, 2011, 04:45:56 PM
For 40 years, I've had an open-house Christmas Day.  My grandmother taught me how to prepare every dish that is served buffet style, as folks come and go.

Ham
Potato Salad
Baked Pineapple
Cole Slaw
Baked Butter Beans
Meatballs in gravy
Pickled Eggs
Cherry Pies

Baked Pineapple? Now that sounds DELISH!

Roxie

Thank you, it is a favorite of Cowboy Bob's too.  If I have any leftover the next day, he warms it in the microwave and tops it with vanilla ice cream. 

Recipe:
1 large can crushed pineapple
6 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar
6 slices bread cut into cubes
1 stick very soft butter

Put all into a 13 x 9 baking dish and bake at 350 for about an hour (or until browned and somewhat firm). 
Say when

Sprucegum

I don't remember when or why it started - we do fondu every year instead of turkey. I guess we just got tired of eating two or three turkey dinners in a row. The grand kids are getting old enough to do their own cooking which is pretty exciting  ;)

Jeff

This may be a new tradition starting this year.  8) This may sound bad to some people, but I found it to be the taste treat of the day.  Tammy's mom Sharon brought cold smoked chicken gizzards. They were just flat out awesome.  They were fist boiled in water seasoned with old bay spice and lemon pepper. Then cooled, then cold smoked in Gene's (Sharon's husband) smoker for two hours with apple wood smoke.  This one rates a Raider Bill DELISH!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

mmmmmmm..... I love gizzards, funny thing is, it's bout the only part of the chicken I do like  ::)

thecfarm

I bet it's better than grits.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

It would probably go well with grits, now that you mention it, theCfarm  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

thecfarm

You want to spoil the taste of smoked chicken gizzards with grits? Help me out here Jeff.

Thank You Sponsors!