iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oscillating Tool for Chisel?

Started by mainewoodsguy, December 20, 2011, 07:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainewoodsguy

I have seen a lot of adds for these new Oscillating cutting tools ie rockler, dremel. Could this be used instead of a mallet and hammer for jointery? Just wondering if anyone has tried?
Kobelco 030, Davis-Case Scatback 430, Chevy 2500 w/ dump insert, Delta Lumber Co. Samill

Jim_Rogers

Welcome to the forum.

I've never tried one of those type tools.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mainewoodsguy

Thank you for the welcome, I saw a few youtube videos for the fein multimaster as well as others were the worker took out a 4 inch by 4 inch mortise type hole in just seconds, it looks like a few runs with a slick and a plane and you would have a nice clean mortise in half the time.
Kobelco 030, Davis-Case Scatback 430, Chevy 2500 w/ dump insert, Delta Lumber Co. Samill

shinnlinger

I have one of those tools (Fein) and use it all the time, but it does.not mortice well at all
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

classicadirondack

I've used an sds hammer drill with a chisel that I had a blacksmith friend shape and temper for me to gouge out scribed joints on a log home.  Works great and fast to remove large amounts of wood and then finish up with a fine chisel and mallet.

jueston

i use one at work most everyday its a fien, and i think it would work, but my biggest complaint with it is the fact that it becomes useless without a sharp blade, and i think you might spend a lot on blades cutting joints all day.

the other thing that comes to mind, is that if you used that tool for a few hours you might want to go back to a chisel because that vibration really wears my hands outs...

Al_Smith

They have their place .I have a Dremel model that  does real well on things like trimming door trim  etc. prior to setting tile and things like that .

Thank You Sponsors!