iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

30" pine 17' long off center pyth how would you cut? pic included

Started by GAmillworker, December 20, 2011, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

Thank the Lord for second chances

kelLOGg

Can you show pics of the whole log? Are there knots? That would help in deciding.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Coon

I would load it onto the mill and start sawing it up.  ;)  :D  I guess it would probably depend on what dimensions you were going to saw it to.  Once you open up a log like that sometimes you will find all kinds of tensions and stresses in the log.  It will be interesting to hear what the pro's would do though.  ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

GAmillworker

This log is free of knots along with the next cut from the same tree that is 14' 6" long.  Yes, I was thinking quarter sawing.  didnt know what kind of tension with pyth that far off center.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

Can see some serious compression wood in the end of that log. That has longitudinal shrinkage that will be tricky to balance in whatever you plan to saw out.

What are you planning to saw from it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GAmillworker

Planning on cutting framing lumber for new home.  Some exposed beams and ceiling boards.

customsawyer

As you cut it the board will most likely move on you one way or the other. Keep a eye on this and relieve the stress as you go.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

Take up boat building, unless you have some big honkin' clamps to dry that stuff in...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

That is a pretty extreme example.  I bet you get some nice curved lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I can tell you righ now that you going to get much if any usefull lumber out of that log. As you saw it the boards or timbers will react, twisting curving or both. As said many rocking chair parts. Too bad it sure looks to be a good size log. :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

5quarter

Somewhere Tom talked in detail about how to saw that. I'll try to relay what I can remember. draw a line between the tension and compression wood on the end of the log. take lumber from one side or the other, but do not cross that line, as the resulting board will twist like a pretzel. further, try to keep the ring pattern uniform throughout each board...as it will shrink more uniformly with less chance of defect.
   I would add that if it were my log, I would not saw it for anything but siding, and I would wait until I needed it. Screwing down green 1x boards will overcome any reaction tendancies the wood would otherwise exhibit during drying. I'm guessing the tree was straight but had very heavy lean?
    I would consider using the compression wood for bunks when you are putting together your next base frame for air drying. If they are screwed down to the stretchers and the stretchers are screwed down to ties or pilings and you build a lumber stack on it right quick, They will dry true.

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Brucer

If it were mine, I'd be cutting a couple of big FOHC timbers out of it. Saw them oversize, let them air dry, and resaw them straight.

Just saying ....  :)
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

lynches lumber

Im gonna have to keep up with this also and do a little studying too. Drug home some hefty pines from the neighbors yesterday. One was about 30" or better and the pith probably wasnt 4 or 5" from the edge. Like 5quarter said it was good and straight but probably had a 60 degree lean to it. Didnt have no problem deciding which direction to drop it.

beenthere

My thought reading some reply's is some don't know southern pine, and this I believe is a southern pine.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I have to agree that 1x sisding would be your best bet. Put the pith at the top or bottom and centered vertically. Take a couple of boards, flip 180 degrees and continue this till it's sawn. Also as mentioned try your best to keep the growth rings even. It will want to bow end to end this way, but that can be delt with if you are using it for siding.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jim king

Never having sawn a log like that it just looks like a quarter sawn dream to me.  It certainly would not be less stable than flat sawn  ???

LeeB

Not good for qs. Qs tends to bow toward the pith any way and this log will have an even greater tendancy to do so.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

Beenthere,

Are you saying that badly off centered southern pine will not react or twist or cup ???

I've sawn a lot of wood, and this type of off centering has never gave much usefull lumber, but then I don't know much about Southern Pine, school me.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

I expect the southern pine with that offset pith will behave badly (warp, twist, and/or cup).
More so than a 'western' pine with similar offset.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

WDH

I hope that somebody needs a whack of rocking chair rockers  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

I'am no expert but I would slab it four sides and forget about it for a few months then true it up and cut to dimentions,there will be loss whatever you do. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

isawlogs

Cut it up how ever you want , it will be a learnin' experience for you  ;) :P   Then you may do like me and saw those up to put on the ground to put logs on while they wait to be sawn.  :)

Marcel

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Stuff like that usually gets cut into low grade material with me but that being said I have cut logs like that at afew mills into whatever they wanted  ;) the thing that has going for it is the diameter Mate ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Wood will be wood and will do as it pleases,we can have our thumb on the scale somewhat but if its going to twist its going to twist.Cut it, stick it, with weight on top and move on. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

This is an absolutely perfect example of a situation that Dodgy Loner and I were discussing last week.  This is not an unusual example that you will find when sawing SYP.  The pith may even be offset on the other side of the log on the other end.  You can not make perfect lumber from an imperfect log, but you can not discard it either.  I have sawed many thousands of board feet of framing lumber from such logs.

We often talk about "centering the pith".  That works with good logs with almost centered piths.  It doesn't always work in the real world when sawing off center piths.

In this instance, you have to center the log, not the pith.  Take the boards off with the pith either close to the top or bottom.  NOT close to either side.  Watch for stress and rotate 180 degrees as boards are removed. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAmillworker

Thank you everyone for your input.  I will be cutting this material next week.  I will take some pics. Here is a pic of the whole log and the other end.

Thank You Sponsors!