iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Saw Canopy: It is Done...

Started by Left Coast Chris, December 20, 2011, 12:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Finally completed our canopy project.  City inspector just passed it off. The dimensions are 23' wide x 38' long and about 14' high at the ridge.  It will be nice to saw in the shade and get rid of the tarps! 

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

beenthere

Looks good.
Any detail of the connections at the brace ends? Look to be added later.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Left Coast Chris

The connections at the brace ends are 1/4" x2" steel straps with two 1/2"X2 lag bolts each end.   The bottom has 4 3/8" x 2.5" lag bolts into the column through a 1/4" x 3" plate welded to the 1/4" side straps.  Each connection calculates for about 1600# of tension so the design meets the 2007 International Building Code.  Amazing what we now have to go through just for an Agg building these days.   Other than having to make it compliant to the code, the city was really good to work with though.   They allowed the salvaged timbers and my shop welding of the connectors.  :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

redbeard

It really gets you spoiled cutting under a cover. Nice looking structure and very solid good job.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bill Gaiche

Ironwood

Cant wait to build mine, looks good.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Sprucegum

I like those straps - did you notch the bottom of the brace so it still touches the post or can you see a wee bit of daylight there? Would it even be noticeable?

Left Coast Chris

I did notch the bottom of the brace to fit over the 1/4"x3" strap that is lag bolted to the column.  After I notched it I also used a forstner bit to counter sink four holes for the heads of the lag bolts going into the column.   It is all Douglas Fir so I did not want to try a true timber frame connection not to mention the time it would take.  I was pleasently surprised that the lag bolted straps would calculate out to around 1600 lbs per connection.   Before I put the plywood on the roof I had to move the top of the center frame to the east so I put a large ratcheting strap on a diagional from the top of the west side to the bottom of the east side and tightened it as tight as it would go.  It was suprisingly ridgid with not a sound from the connections of the knee braces.

The other interesting thing about the design was the amount of up lift the new (2007) international building code amounted to.  Even though the timbers are pretty heavy I ended up having to generate 2000lbs of weight in each footing.   That controlled the size of the footings at 30" square below the pedistals you see above the ground.   

Thank You Sponsors!