iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Workbenches for Wood Carving

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, December 19, 2011, 04:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

The wife informed me that she thought woodcarving would be fun and would like to do woodcarving with me, so I decided to make it a wood carving Christmas* this year, along with the new living room furniture and Amazon Kindle fire that I already got her as gifts.

Fortunately we have plenty of spare space at home now that the five girls have moved out. We took a spare room in the basement and decided to make it the carving room.

I bought a bunch of carving tools which I have nicely wrapped under the Christmas* tree and then turned my attention to building a workbench that would accomidate both of us in the same room. While I was at it, I also built her a stand for her pen lathe that was more to her liking in height than the table I originally had it mounted to. I really enjoy it when we find hobbies or interests we share in common and look forward to working side by side with her at the woodcarving.

That closet to the right in the last photo is filled with puzzles. We both enjoy doing them to keep the mind sharp and we can complete a 1000 piece puzzle in 2 evenings or about 5 hours.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

CHARLIE

That is neat! 8)  Not just the fact that your wife enjoys woodcarving but that y'all both seem to enjoy the same things.  I've tried woodcarving and have about 4 unfinished carvings. I just can't sit long enough to complete anything.  I envy those that do carve.  One thing I think is missing is a vacuum under you wife's woodlathe. :-)  It is nice to have a dedicated room built to accomadate both of you. Sure beats watching the boob tube together.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

Do you have a wood carvers vise under the tree? ;D

Those are nice work tables.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Busy Beaver.....If I had to work a puzzle, I'd SCREAM! But wood carving, I envy you. I wish I had the talent you and the Mrs. have to carve wood.

That's cool that ya'll have a talent to work on together. I tried to teach my wife to play golf. The worst part of it was is she is left handed trying to learn to play golf with my right hand set.

She almost killed the dog, put a dent in the mail box, and dug up all the grass in the yard practicing when I wasn't around.

We have not hit balls in over a year now. Whewwwww!

NICE WORK SHOP!!! :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Charlie

We have a shop vac on wheels in the basement that we can wheel in to clean up any mess. May actually take the time and connect it to the dust collection system in the garage one day. Yes. it is nice to be able to share common interests with the wife. We get along very well and do many things together, not just with hobbies, but also with running the family business. Just came back from 10 days in Florida with her on vacation and had the time of our lives. Perfect Weather and enjoyed every minute of her company.

SwampDonkey - Actually there are two carver vices under the tree. I may have sneaked one under there with my name on it as well. :). The work force brand ones they sell at Menards are actually pretty decent quality for $11.99 and pivot to boot. Also have two Black and Decker portable Work Mate clamping tables that do a good job holding larger or taller pieces. For me, a vise is a must since I have limited gripping ability in my left arm and left hand. I do some carving with a knife, but really like the power carving since it only requires the use of my right hand, a foot pedal, and a good clamping system.

POSTONLT40HD - I tried to teach my first wife how to play golf....after divorcing her and getting re-married to my current wife, I promised myself I would not make the same mistake again the second time around. Thanks for compliments on workshop.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

SwampDonkey

Busy, that would be a deal. Watch it though, when you release it, that it doesn't flop over quick on the table with your carving. The Veritas one is slow release so the carving doesn't end up colliding with the table/bench and damaging your art.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I do hope we will get to see some of her work. And yours too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!