iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT-28 Owners/users

Started by dgdrls, December 19, 2011, 04:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

LT 28 owners/users,  anyone willing to send a message or post on the good and bad related to
their LT-28 ownership and business.

I'm trying to line-up the pieces to start a small semi-mobile business in the spring.

Thank you in advance.

Dan
DGDrls

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't have the LT 28, but as a fellow forum member, I wish you the best of luck in your new business!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Burlkraft

I have an LT28 and had no plans to saw anything but my own logs.
So...Then my neighbor wants some black locust sawed up for fence.
Then I see he has 30" white and red oak lined up for the firewood pile....Lord help me,
I don't know which one is worse him or Beenthere at splittin' up good wood!!!  :D  :D  :D
So I quartersawed his oak for half of the wood. It was beautiful wood, but quartersawing big
logs on a manual mill is a long day. If you are 20 and ambitious maybe ...for a while, but 45 or 50
you won't last long.
So all summer long I hear from one neighbor and then another. "I want some of that quartersawn stuff"  I'm quartersawing some nice oaks and then sawing all the junk logs they have along with them. On a manual mill, crooked crotches and hollow ant filled logs aren't what I wanted to do all summer long.
By the end of the summer I had my neighbor trained up pretty well. He was my best help. He ran the other side of the mill. Handled slabs, finally got him to sticker as he stacked boards and he wrangled the customers and all the relatives as they all wanna help  :D :D :D
It was a long hot summer. I really enjoy sawing, but if I was gonna saw professionaly, even a little bit, I'd trade my my 28 in on something hydraulic.
I think I'll drive out to Beenthere's this week. He said he was gonna drop some trees. I better check what he has  ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

JBS 181

Just bought the LT28 this past summer and have cut enough wood to know that it is alot better than my old mill. I have the upgraded version with the 25hp Kohler and I also have the power feed. It cuts wonderful. I have built a small deck up to mine and have a small skid loader to load the deck, clean sawdust, etc. The log dog on the mill is well built but can slow you down. I turn logs with a cant hook. The hydraulic goodies would be nice but I just could not afford that kind of a machine at his time. I saw full time and get by pretty good. I am still on the younger side so it isnt to bad yet. I do not have any hardwood in my country so all the sawing is pine, fir, spruce etc. (softwoods).

caveman

We have an lt 28 with the automatic feed and the 25 hp engine.  We load logs with a tractor and turn with a canthook.  We do not saw very often due to staying too busy with our day jobs.  If you push hard and have good help, you can make quite a few boards in a reasonable time.  When I saw alone, cleaning logs, loading, stacking and cleaning the mill after use, my production is fairly low.  The mill works well but if I were buying today and planned to saw more than I currently do, I would have to look at the lt 35.  Good luck on your endeavor.  Caveman
Caveman

Qweaver

I started out with an LT15 and the LT28 is a big step up from the 15.  Logs over 28" dia get hard to handle but I really like the saw.  The power feed, log turner and toe boards make a huge difference in ease of sawing. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

lls256

I've got a LT28 with a 25hp engine and log deck package. I've had my LT28 for over two years and am very happy with the unit.  While viewing the Woodmizer website I see   that the power feed is now not included in the base price.  The power feed is a worthwhile feature.  I'm pretty much indifferent about the log deck package. It gets the job done, but in my opinion, the system in general is not very efficient. I use a tractor to load my logs and a cant hook to turn my logs.   To be productive on a LT28, you really need a helper. One person to run the mill and a second person to load, rotate and clamp your logs.  When running the mill by  myself and walking over to the other  side of the mill to clamp or rotate the logs  forty or fifty times in one day, you can see why hydraulic mills are popular.  The bottom line is that is that the LT28  is a great way to get into cutting lumber. The mill does a respectable  job of milling  lumber and tends to be reliable because of it's simplicity but it definitely is not a production mill.

Tom L

I have one with a 18 hp diesel, I can echo the sentiments above,

it is a very cool machine that can cut a lot of lumber per day. well designed and easy to get used too.

it does give you a workout. I load mine with a small nuckleboom trailer. have only used the ramps twice. they work with the winch but it is slow and tedious. the log turner works good on logs ( on most logs I use my logrite) the large stuff I use the turner, and the auto feed is a great thing.

if I were in business full time with a mill. I would vote for a 50 or 70.
my back would not last cutting all day every day with the lt28. but that's just me
I am old and out of shape.

one great thing is the support staff, training and literature that wm gives you with the mill. they really do a nice job.

dgdrls

Thank you for all the responses thus far.  I really like the 28 and the plan is to cut part time for high grade, or custom, and still
be able to travel a little as I choose.  I have a full time job but if I do this right and the wood gods smile on me I might just be able to cash-out early and dedicate all my efforts to building a stationary custom/volume outfit.

Tom L. how is that diesel rig treating you??  Also please better define old and out of shape!!

DGDrls

sdunston

I have a LT28G25 and am very happy with the mill, Also have a EG50 edger that speeds things up a tad.If I had it to do over would go with the new LT35.

Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

123maxbars

I had the LT28 for a month then upgraded to the LT35 before my 30day money back deal ended with woodmizer. It was a good meal and is very similar to my LT35. However if you are going to do portable jobs they Hdy are a must! I did two mobile jobs with the 28 I had and the log loading (using the winch) really slows you down when you are trying to get logs sawed. It is a great mill, and you can't beat it for the price, but rethink the Hyd cause the LT35 is a good value for the money. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Tom L

Tom L. how is that diesel rig treating you??  Also please better define old and out of shape!!

the diesel is a nice little engine, great on fuel and IMO has enough power to do the jobs that I do with the mill.

"define old and out of shape",   

my mind thinks and reacts the same as if I was 20 years old.

my mind thinks my body is 20 years old and thinks it can, and should  respond accordingly.
but the body is older than that. and after a full day turning and offloading by hand. I pay dearly with a bad back and torn and sore muscles.

the back is related to previous injuries,

it's all good though. I have no problems sleeping at night, and wish I could dedicate more time to cutting, to get in better shape so the mind and body function like they used too.

good luck
Tom L

DGDrls
[/quote]

MotorSeven

Quote from: 123maxbars on December 20, 2011, 11:39:09 PM
I had the LT28 for a month then upgraded to the LT35 before my 30day money back deal ended with woodmizer. It was a good meal and is very similar to my LT35. However if you are going to do portable jobs they Hdy are a must! I did two mobile jobs with the 28 I had and the log loading (using the winch) really slows you down when you are trying to get logs sawed. It is a great mill, and you can't beat it for the price, but rethink the Hyd cause the LT35 is a good value for the money.

I have to agree with this. I have an LT15 and see zero advantage to a 28 unless you always have help. The bigger log advantage is negated by not having hydraulics to turn them. I saw alone 90% of the time and have to call friends & neighbors over for the big stuff. Some day I will up-grade and it will be to a LT35 which I think is at the right price point.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

jdonovan

Quote from: 123maxbars on December 20, 2011, 11:39:09 PM
I had the LT28 for a month then upgraded to the LT35 before my 30day money back deal ended with woodmizer. It was a good meal and is very similar to my LT35. However if you are going to do portable jobs they Hdy are a must!

Time is money when you're on someone elses schedule (i.e. a portable job). If you're just working logs in your own yard then production is a bit less of a priority. However an off-site customer is not going to want it to take all day for just a few logs to get sawed.

You would probably be much happier with either a 35HD, or a used 40HD. I went and demo'ed a few mills before I got mine, and it took me about 0.00001 seconds to figure out that with out hydros doing the really heavy lifting my daily out put would be seriously limited.

Sawing solo is enough work just off bearing. Now add in all the time/work for loading, and turning... perhaps if I was still 25 ...  :-\

Piston

QuoteI have to agree with this. I have an LT15 and see zero advantage to a 28 unless you always have help. The bigger log advantage is negated by not having hydraulics to turn them. I saw alone 90% of the time and have to call friends & neighbors over for the big stuff. Some day I will up-grade and it will be to a LT35 which I think is at the right price point.

Well said...and I imagine I agree with you, I know my next mill will be a hydraulic one, if I ever upgrade.

I'd say I agree but I have no experience with the new LT28.  I'd say Qweaver would be the authority on this though, as he has a lot of experience with both. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

dgdrls

More great stuff!!

Time is money when you're on someone elses schedule (i.e. a portable job). If you're just working logs in your own yard then production is a bit less of a priority. However an off-site customer is not going to want it to take all day for just a few logs to get sawed.
jdonovan

This is an interesting post. It is a long standing argument in the service/professional service segment of the economy.
I believe portable saw customers and most milling customers are paying for an end product.  Within reason, speed would not be my concern, quality would be.  If the client wants speed I would suggest another sawyer with a higher production mill.  I hope that sawyer would charge as much and maybe a bit more that I would for the same work.

In my past life I found myself competing for work on a volume basis, I won't go there again.  I'd rather do 4 jobs than 10 for the same money.

My $0.02

Thanks Gentlemen.

jdonovan

Quote from: dgdrls on December 21, 2011, 08:05:02 PM
This is an interesting post. It is a long standing argument in the service/professional service segment of the economy.
I believe portable saw customers and most milling customers are paying for an end product.  Within reason, speed would not be my concern, quality would be.  If the client wants speed I would suggest another sawyer with a higher production mill.  I hope that sawyer would charge as much and maybe a bit more that I would for the same work.

Taken to an extreme either too fast, or too slow is not an ideal situation.

Many portable jobs, the customer is expected to offbear, or supply help to do such. If the lt28 that is cutting 1/3-1/2 the speed of the 40hd, and both are delivering a quality product... Then its fairly clear which machine/sawyer I'll call back on the next job.

WoodenHead

I've had my LT28 18HP diesel for about 3 months now.  Myself and some of my guys (I own a solar PV business) have taken turns both sawing and off-bearing.  I would definitely recommend an off-bearer with a manual mill.

We notice that we spend a large amount of time (too much) clamping and leveling logs.  Rotating we do with cant hooks and that goes well.  During the 30-day money back guarantee I asked about switching up to an LT35, but was told (by Woodmizer) that the hydraulics might not buy me much extra production.  The setworks would help I was told, but I wouldn't gain much with a hydraulic log turner and clamp depending on log size.  I have a good relationship with my log supplier so I can specify log sizes.  To pay 40-50% more for the LT35 over the LT28 to gain a little bit extra didn't seem to be such a great deal for me. 

BUT, I use the mill differently than most would.  I use it to keep my guys occupied when things are slow in the winter for solar installations.  We mill pine and cedar and sell the lumber.  Generally we don't travel (unless a reasonable opportunity came up).  If I was doing mobile custom work full time, I would recommend a larger mill (LT50/LT70).

I originally looked at the LT15, but chose the LT28 instead.  The LT28 has the same frame as the larger mills.  Some of the forum members have posted suggestions to add hydraulics to manual mills.  Pineywoods in particular has some great hydraulic mods for manual LT28's/40's that I'm interested in trying someday.  That might be another route to take. 

My $0.02

Piston

After thinking a bit, I have to point out that I purposely don't go mobile with the LT 15 just because it is such a PIA. 
So in that regard, I may have to take back my statement about no advantage, because really, I know I would go mobile at least once in a while if I did have a 28. 

I have wanted to take the LT15 up to my land in NH many times, but I've avoided it so far just because of the setup and not having an ideal spot to set it up and leave it.  I know it's certainly doable, just more inconvenient.  I've looked into the GO setup they recently came out with and that is a good option as well. 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Knute

I like my LT28. Does a great job of sawing accurate lumber. I saw only my own logs, so speed is not real important. I f I sawed for someone else, I would want a helper and would charge by the board foot in order to compete with hydraulics. I also have power feed and log deck package which I would not be without, especially the manual log turner.

JBS 181

Alot depends on the wood being sawed. Like I mentioned earlier we do not have any hard wood here to speak of. The pine, unless it is green or has big knots like the ponderosa, is not bad to turn. 18 and 20 foot sticks of beetle kill lodgepole even in the 18" diameter range are not bad to turn by hand. I do not like to mess with anything over 24" anyway. Hydraulics would be nice in that respect, but all that big wood takes time no matter what. My mill is stationary and have no intentions of moving around. Big stuff is rotated 1 or 2 times with the skid loader until it is broken down enough to handle with cant hook. The log dog is slow I will say that. I try to work off the same side all the time. The sawdust discharge side, as I dont like to walk clear around the tongue. The log deck is fixed in a horizontal position so you have to climb over that as well. I built a 4" high boardwalk down the discharge side of the mill, this gets me up a bit higher and if the logs are not huge, you can reach over the log and work your log dog. The LT28 is a super machine for the price and the price, along with quality, was a big factor for me.

Magicman

Don't overlook the "used" market.  Sometimes an LT40 with the bells and whistles can be a great value.  It was for me.  Try to buy right the first time and not have to upgrade later.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!