iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geothermal again

Started by Qweaver, December 19, 2011, 12:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We have decided to close in the downstairs to make an apartment for our daughter.  We have been running three 1500 watt heaters while we do the insulation and wall coverings.  We keep it 68 deg during the day and 55 deg at night.  Our electric bill increased by 60% in way less than a months use.  We put a pellet stove in last night but it will still cost $100 a month to heat.  It's just not practical to use the geo down there...no easy way to zone it.  Having that area heated will make it easier to heat the upstairs tho'.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Holmes

Can you put in a couple of branches off the existing geo to dump some heat into the basement.  That will cut down on the electric bill. You don't have to zone it if you add "some" heat.
Think like a farmer.

sesmiths

Take a look at the fugitsu or mitsubishi mini-split heat pumps.  I don't have any experience personally with them but have read good reviews.  (personally, just put a new geo system in our place).

Al_Smith

If it's just a hundred a month I wouldn't get real concerned about it myself .

CTYank

Quote from: Qweaver on December 19, 2011, 12:36:15 AM
We have decided to close in the downstairs to make an apartment for our daughter.  We have been running three 1500 watt heaters while we do the insulation and wall coverings.  We keep it 68 deg during the day and 55 deg at night.  Our electric bill increased by 60% in way less than a months use.  We put a pellet stove in last night but it will still cost $100 a month to heat.  It's just not practical to use the geo down there...no easy way to zone it.  Having that area heated will make it easier to heat the upstairs tho'.

Are you folks maybe confusing ground-loop storage for geothermal (where you extract net heat, like deep in the Cumberland mine, or in Iceland or New Zealand)?
Physically, there is a BIG difference.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

The subject is water source heat pumps not hot springs stuff like in Iceland .

Now that's a misnomer if I ever heard one .Iceland and it has natural steam .Who knew  ;)

downeast

Not a bad deal IF you're an Icelander: heat is subsidized ("free") from geothermal steam, electricity is "free". Only problem in Iceland is    1. usual volcanic action, and
2. ~ 65% net tax on income plus a V.A.T. on everything.

It is an expensive country.

Very attractive women BTW  :D

T Red

Quote from: sesmiths on December 21, 2011, 06:58:57 PM
Take a look at the fugitsu or mitsubishi mini-split heat pumps.  I don't have any experience personally with them but have read good reviews.  (personally, just put a new geo system in our place).

I have wired quite a few Mitsubishi units for my HVAC contractor.  They are fantastic.  Can heat down to -13 F outside temp on the newer units.  You can install more than one indoor air handler for multiple rooms.  Very quiet indoor and out.  A little pricey in my area NC probably $3 to 4000 for one room installation. 

I wish they would make whole house units as efficient as the minisplits. 
Tim

Thank You Sponsors!