iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heating a pool with an OWB

Started by LeeB, December 18, 2011, 02:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Does anyone heat a swimming pool with thier OWB? How is it working out?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SPIKER

no pool & no OWB just yet both cases...   For the pool I will be using a solar pool heater, flat black rubber mat that can be placed on roof or anywhere with a bunch of small tubes in it that pool water is pumped through.   for use a OWB would need a secondary heat exchanger to run pool water through.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

red oaks lumber

i dont have a pool but, having in floor/wall tubing i think you idea would work fairly easy. i have a heat exchanger(modine style) for my kiln which is just under 11,000 cubic feet in size. bringing the wood temp. in the winter from 35 deg. up to 130 deg. it only will take 24 hrs. so warming up a pool of water might only take about the same time or a little longer.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

jamesconley1962

Quote from: LeeB on December 18, 2011, 02:54:52 AM
Does anyone heat a swimming pool with thier OWB? How is it working out?
I used one when I had a pool, it was cheep easy to install and worked great.

LeeB

Would you care to share a little more information please James.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

LeeB

clearcut

I heat my pool with a solar cover - heavy duty UV protected bubble wrap. However you heat a pool, some type of cover is essential to keep the heat in and reduce evaporation of the heated water.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

jamesconley1962

Quote from: LeeB on December 18, 2011, 06:47:46 PM
Would you care to share a little more information please James.

I would be glad to send you pictures and explain how I set it up. A women my wife worked with bought one of those propane heaters for her pool...not sure what it cost but it was a lot more then what I had into this.   I am sure I had less than $200.00 into it as I did it on the cheap.  But it worked great.  My pool was an above ground oval 38'X18' and 4'deep.   It took about 2-3 days to bring the temp from 65/68 degrees up to 90+ we had to shut down the stove for a few days several times because the pool was getting too hot.  We kept the temp up in the water when in when not in use or at night with the solar pool cover.   It really worked well. 

I will not be able to send any pictures for about 2 weeks; I am currently in Papua New Guinea working and won't be home till the 29 Dec.  Jim

jason1977

I heat my pool with mine and it works great i think it works better than my propane heater it cost about 600.00 to get the parts i needed

stumper

I have a freind that heats her indoor pool with her boiler.  Her house with pool was previously heated from her oil boiler.  When she added the outdoor wood boiler she just tied it in normally.  No issues for her.

Holmes

It should be no problem. You will need a stainless steel heat exchanger. Pump the boiler water thru 1 side of the exchanger and pipe the pool water thru the other side.The pool side will need a pump that can handle chlorine or salt water or whatever chemicals you put in the pool water. Generally speaking the pool heater will be used in the warmer months when there is not as much of a heating demand for the house
Think like a farmer.

Randy88

Pools? keep the information coming people the rest of us need to know who amoung us have pools being heated during the winter :D

superwd6

I heat my pool with the E-classic 2300 and a 155000 BTU stainless heat exchanger. It works great but be prepared to hear all the whining if temp drops below 80* :D. It does use a lot of wood but pools also use a lot of propane to heat to ;D... I piped to pool water in 1 1/4" black poly to the heat exchanger mounted right on the back of the boiler to keep costs down.When fall comes I only lose 1 gallon of boiler water when I unscrew unions to remove stainless exchanger. Bought mine off Ebay  ;)

Clam77

Could the same process be used for heating a hot tub??  Most hot tubs say to keep the temp around 106-110.... 

Or would it put too much of a load on the boiler??  Anyone ever tried it yet??
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Bob Lentz

We are heating our pool in High Country Colorado using hot water heat. First it was from our primary boiler but we just installed a CB EC2400 and it's handling the job just fine. We have a stainless w-w heat exchanger. The key to heating a pool in cold weather is to keep the pool covered when it's not in use. We have a coverstar electric cover.  Our pool is "indoors" but we don't heat the pool room. The pool water heats it! That room stays between 65 and 70 all winter.  We heat the pool to 88 degrees. The heater runs between 2:00pm and 7:00pm and we only loose about 4 degrees during the non-heating time.

Hope this helps
eClassic-2400
Triangle Tube Backup (Propane)
Heating 6500 sqft house and small pool

woodstoveheat

I don't heat a pool but i do heat my well water from 50 degrees to 165 degrees at about 5 gal per min. you will need a larger plate exchanger than i use. I have a 10 plate and it is good for 40000 btu output.  larger ones are available i have seen them at 100000 btu. they come with a 1" male pipe on them so all you will have to do is pipe the pool water through the plate exchanger. 

wayno12

Lee, I heated my 30' (24,000 gals) above ground pool this past summer with my E-Classic 2400.  I opened the pool tail end of May as we had an extremely long cold May last year.  I averaged 1 face cord per week to keep the pool at 88 degrees until the weather really started to warm up, much less once it got into July and really warmed up.  During the height of summer, I would usually only run the boiler to the pool at night to prevent my temp from falling and the sun would handle the day time.  There were a couple times I forgot to turn the valve off to the pool and got home from work to find the pool in high nineties and once at 104 deg.  My wife was pi**ed!  She wanted a swimming pool, not a hot tub!  I figured it took me about 10 face cord +/- to heat the pool this last spring/summer/fall.  I buy all my wood split and delivered for $45 per face cord.  I didn't think this was a bad expense to be out swimming at 11:00 pm when it was 50 degrees outside and 90 in the pool.  Steam rolling off the pool was so thick you could hardly see each other, but, NO FLIES!  Did it work?  Oh yeah! Will I do it again?  Without a second thought.  It is the only way to go!

wayno12

Holmes, the way I plumbed my pool heating system is the water from the pool exits the pool filter and goes directly into my heat heat exchanger.  from my heat exchanger water goes back into pool.  Keep in mind, the water going back into pool after exiting heat exchanger is not "hot".  It is warm.  By doing this, I don't need to run an extra pump.  When filter is running to clean the pool, all I have to do is turn on the valve at my manifold to allow hot water from the boiler to go to the pool exchanger and shut the valve off when pool doesn't need to be heated.  This system works great, but you do need a large enought heat exchanger to handle the pool pump water flow.  Another word of advice, buy a bigger exchanger than they recommend you need for your size pool.  My exchanger is for a 30,000 gal pool, but my pool is only 24,000 gals.  My boiler can only put out 240,000 btu max and I still have very warm water returning to the boiler.  The oversized exchanger is not depleting all the heat from the boiler water.  Word of caution to everyone though, do not restrict the flow of water from your pool pump.  That is bad news!

mattNH

Wayno,

How much wood did you burn through getting up to temp in the spring?

wayno12

Matt, due to the  high demand at first startup, I would fill my firebox to the roof with wood.  My wood is cut in 16" pieces so it takes approx. 24 pieces of wood to stack one row clear to the top of the firebox.  I would do this in the morning, and again in the evening.  It took 3 days to take the temp in the pool from mid 60's to 83 degrees.  This worked out good because I shocked the pool and had my startup to do, so by the time everything was ready to go and you could jump in the pool it was pretty comfy.  So, I guess to put it all in perspective, it took me about 80-90 4" diameter pieces of wood cut in 16" lengths to get the pool to comfortable temp.  During this time, pool was constantly covered with the solar cover.  Keeping the pool covered while heating is essential.  During the summer, if outside temp was going to be mid 80's or above, I did not heat the pool during the day, only at night to maintain my temp.  On a 70 deg day, you can easily raise the temp of the water 10 degrees and gain a couple more degrees at night when outside temps drop to 40's to 50's. 

mattNH

Many thanks for the great info.  It sounds like less wood than I had anticipated and with this warmer than normal winter, I will have plenty of wood leftover.

wayno12

Matt, you'll never regret heating your pool.  Three guys at work have pools and when their pool was at 70-74 degrees, no one was swimming and we were in ours every night.  It's really cool when it's 50 degrees outside, the tiki torches are burning around the pool and the steam rolling off the water is so thick you can hardly see through it, but the water is almost 90 degrees.  At that point, life is good!  It was $1,100 for my titanium heat exchanger for the pool, but it worked fantastic!  I just looked at it as a long term investment.  It's like I keep telling my dad, "You can't put a price on recreation!"

Thank You Sponsors!