iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing First Log

Started by EZ, February 02, 2004, 07:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Sawing White Pine, just trying it out, squared the cant up, the cant is perfect! 8) Really proud of myself! ;D Here is todays pics!

Thanks for lookin!
EZ

oakiemac

Nice pics :)Is'nt it fun sawing in this cold weather? I hope to saw up some Oak this week-if we can get a few nice days.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Neil_B

Way to go EZ  8) Ya must be proud.  :)
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Kevin

Looks good, is it perfect corner to corner?  X

rbarshaw

Sweet! I see your scrap pile has smaller pieces in it than mine, i'm going to have to learn how to do that.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Fla._Deadheader

Oschcatie'tant ;D 8)   lookin good ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

EZ

Had a heck of a time, the snow was melting which every thing I did turn into ice. The log that I wanted to saw was froze solid in ice, it was a 26 inch white pine. I have the logs on 4x4 but with the freezing rain we have all the time the 4x4 didnt do any good. When I hook on the log with the winch it just pulled the mill over. I tryed pulling it with the truck and nothing happen, I tryed digging it out with the spud bar and still no good. So I put that small 14 inch 12 foot long pine on and sawed away. After squaring the log I got the framing square and check the cant and it was perfect all the way down. but I didnt beleave it so I got the tape out and check the ends, perfect. All the boards were the same from end to end, the last board also, which that was the one that I was waiting on to measure. The only problem that I found was the gauge was set wrong, I wanted 1 inch boards but they were 7/8's. Being there my boards I didnt bother adjusting it.
Wanted to use the Monkey blade on the next log but it started to freezing rain so I called it quits.
Sorry if I sound really fat headed about the perfect thing, but I'm just amazed with it.
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

See??  That's what happens when ya pay attention to detail ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Great pics EZ, I like your mill. Glad to hear everything turned out like you expected. :)

Swede

EZ;

On that pictures that mill looks practically like mine.  And so does the scrap. My first costomer´s neighbor found a problem with my job. "- You get no wood for the fire!!"

Looks nice! :)
Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Haytrader

EZ,

If you were dropping in 1" increments and ending up with 7/8" boards, do you suppose the width of the blade had anything to do with it?
 ;)
Maybe you were so excited about the nice boards, you forgot that part.
 :D
Just jokin with ya.........nice job...
Now you need a shed so you can saw inside.
Haytrader

Jim_Rogers

Next thing you might consider adding to your mill is a sliding scale.
A sliding scale is a scale that has all the marks laid out on it so that when you cut on a mark it will product a correct thickness board from every cut mark and finish with the correct thickness board on the bottom.
Then it's attached so that it can slide up and down in it's bracket so that you can slide it so that a board cut mark will line up on an inch mark.
That way you can set the sliding scale to finish at say 8" and cut full thickness boards on the way down to the 8" mark.
If you need a picture I can post/send you one.
Good luck with your mill, and the lumber looks great!
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DextorDee

Jim
I'd kinda like to see that sliding scale.  :-/
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Captain

Great stuff, EZ  ;D

I still think that it would look good painting that frame orange....

Captain

Ed_K

EZ, are you still using the wheel scale that came with the original setup?
 I found mine was not accurate, so I made asliding scale, kinda like Jim said. I posted a pict but don't know how to retrieve it.
Ed K

Ed_K

Its back on page 8 here under mill scale.
Ed K

EZ

I made a mistake when I said all the boards were sawed at 7/8. All the boards were 1 inch thick except the last one was 7/8. Ed-K, yea I'm still using the old circle gauge, it's a pain in the a$$ at times. You really have to pay attention when sawing, I really need to get a better scale.
Jim Rogers, your scale sounds very interesting, if you would I sure would like to see a picture of it and maybe explain it a little bit more, Thanks.
Captain, ORANGE, you must want me to get beat up or some thing. :D  I think I'll paint it blue, besides my camper, boat, wood trailer and my hat is blue. ;D
Well I'm still excited.
Thanks all.
EZ

Captain

Beat up?  By who?  99 percent of this forum is Orange (well at least the band sawyers ;))

Captain

WV_hillbilly

Great job on the mill EZ  .   Isn' t it great when all that hard work pays off so well .

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Paul_H

QuoteSorry if I sound really fat headed about the perfect thing, but I'm just amazed with it.
EZ

It didn't sound bad at all.You did a good job and worked hard at it.

You should be proud!    8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jim_Rogers

EZ, and DextorDee:
Here is picture of my sliding scale:

If you go to the timber framing section, here on the FF, and look at my post "How to cut a boxed heart timber" you'll see how I setup a log to make timbers, and using the scale.
Now I don't know what kind of scale you have on your mill or how you can attach a new sliding scale, but the principal is that this scale has a wing nut that you can easily release and slide the scale to make the board cut marks (4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4) line up on a fixed measurement from your table. That way you can saw in the sliding scale board mark and finish at the size you have set the scale to.
Good luck and if you need more, I can take more picture of mine on my WM.
Jim Rogers

PS. Ed_K, if you have posted a picture on the FF, and you know where or what post it is in, you can go to that post, select modify which will open the post, then you can copy the location code of the picture and re-use it in another post. I believe this will work.

Jim_Rogers

I use a similar log setup procedure, same as setting up for boxing the heart, to setup a log to make boards or planks. That way the heart will end up in just one board or plank or between two, instead of traveling threw several boards. Of course this depends on the heart in the log and how much it wanders away from a straight line.
What I'm saying is that I set two opposite faces of my log to a certain width first and then cut boards from the other two opposite faces.
When I learned how to saw logs from an old timer, on a circular saw mill that's the way he did it, and it seems to work for me.
I don't always cut the first face and then flip to the third face to set my board widths, sometimes on the way to the third face I cut a few boards off the second face, as the mills are designed to roll the log 90° against the log uprights.
I hope this has been helpful to you, the beginners, and good luck with your new mill.
Jim Rogers

DextorDee

Cool mill EZ , betcha gonna have fun with it. good luck..

Jim, thanx for the scale pic.

Ken
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

EZ

Jim, I've seen these types of scales and look at them real close and tryed to figure out how to use them but never did understand them, until now that you explained it so quick and clearly. Pretty cool.
I will be ordering one.
Thanks a bunch.
EZ

Larry

On the left is a Timberking scale.  They are a rubber magnetic tape type thing.  They have a bunch of different scales at $10 each.  Only problem is I get confused easily with all the marks and sometimes make a miss cut.  On the right is my home made scale.  This one is set to cut 1-1/16 inch thick.  Drilled a hole in the horseshoe magnet for the wire to slide through.  Center the wire in the white strips.  Extremely accurate.  

I think your mill is cool!  Lot of hard work and thinking there. 8) 8) 8)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!