iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging winch

Started by wheelinguy, December 16, 2011, 07:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

No doubt that mechanical winches can be made quite reliable. My outlook is this, with hydraulic power to a worm geared winch, don't need a clutch or brake, and the power out capability has saved my bacon more than once. If it ain't there it don't break or need adjustment...I like the KISS principle.
But then I build most of my stuff, can't justify the expense of "store bought" for what's mostly a hobby operation.. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

I don't have the smarts to build it. What I mean,build it once and it would be right.I would have to redo 2-3-4 times to get it right.  :( Building it yourself saves ALOT of money. I think those winches have doubled in price since we bought the one I have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RSteiner

I have a Farmi PTO driven unit that was new back in 1983.  I have used it to gather logs for my Mobile Dimension saw and for the 8+ cords of firewood I burn each year.  I have done a number of house lot clearings, storm damage clean-up, and pulled a number of cars and trucks and a travel trailer out of the mud or snow over the years.  I have changed the cable twice. 

I did take the drum off and lubricated every thing once.  Other than putting grease in the one fitting on the winch and PTO shaft every now and then I have done nothing but use it for 28 years.   I think the mechanical winches are okay.

I don't know too much about the hydraulic powered winches, I was wondering if they run off the tractor hydraulics or do they have a 3PH mounted pump.  What RPM does the engine have to run at so that the winch operates effectively? 

With the mechanical winch I usually run the engine RPM around 1300 or so and get good results. 

Randy
Randy

rogdan

KRPAN the price seems right and only $150 to ship  ;D
http://unitedfarmimplements.ecrater.com/p/5524206/35-log-cable-winch-230-included-7700-pulling

product of Slovenia, anyone familiar with them ???
He was selling them EBAY

mad murdock

rodgan, 2 question for the post you put up on the slavic winch 1. Spare parts? and 2. Why is his feedback at 62%  I don't think I would buy from that seller, if it were my money.
FWIW.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

rogdan

Quote from: mad murdock on December 19, 2011, 03:33:27 PM
rodgan, 2 question for the post you put up on the slavic winch 1. Spare parts? and 2. Why is his feedback at 62%  I don't think I would buy from that seller, if it were my money.
FWIW.
Good points;
Aren't all the others winch's european (other than Wallenstein) how is the part supply in general?
I don't see how they get 62%, click the feedback and it and it shows one good, one bad and 10 no votes, seems like 50% to me  :-\
Not advocating one way or the other, just looking at options myself. Seems like his EBAY feedback was pretty good if I remember it right.

mad murdock

Igland, Norse, and Farmi all have good dealer support, I don't know about the east european equipment.  I do know that regionally, there are good dealers for Belarus tractors, and they seem to be a decent piece of machinery.  I am sure that the slavic winch is decent, just don't know about parts support.  A lot of the ex-soviet bloc built stuff is built over-stout and pretty easy to fix.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

shinnlinger

That Ebay winch ain't that much cheaper than a name brand and it doesn't come with cable or the chokers that come standard with t the name brand s...and it is in Georgia
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

JDeere

Wheelinguy,  I just stumbled on this today and thought it might be of interest. Not sure how far it is from you but it looks like a fair price.

http://www.unclehenrys.com/init/classifieds/ad_detail/3941017/?_next=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.unclehenrys.com%2Finit%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2F1%233941017
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Brux

I was thinking of buying a wallenstein fx 120 for my oliver 1755 it is 86 hp and 2wd whould be compareable to a john deere 4020. Am a crazy for putting this winch on a 2wd tractor? My other option is find a winch for the john deere 450 dozer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Woodbine pro processer,2006 woodmizer lt-40, Asv 4520,John Deere 450 c, Oliver 1755,Kabota 6800, walhesten FX90, Stihl 660 056 044 036pro 310 200t 180 Husky 395

thecfarm

Is the question are you crazy for working a 2wd tractor in the woods?  Depends on you and your land. Even with my 4wd tractor I have to take great pains to plan out a road due to my land and rocks and trees I want to keep. For your own use I would do it. But try to make a dollar would be hard at times. We use to work a 2wd tractor in the woods. Get the front wheel in front of a good size rock and the rear one behind a stump and there we was. Just have to back up and move over. Just takes more time. The 4wd drives makes a BIG difference.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I made it to hang my saw on too.

This works well for me. have not had a tree that it would not pull out :D :D and the 1/2" line is not to hard to pull to the tree
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Nice winch and tractor. I would have the fenders and that saw broke if I was doing that. Good sized logs like that I do fine on,but always seem to get into a mess with the small one 6 inches and under.

rogdan

Quote from: shinnlinger on December 19, 2011, 04:57:43 PM
That Ebay winch ain't that much cheaper than a name brand and it doesn't come with cable or the chokers that come standard with t the name brand s...and it is in Georgia
Their smallest model is $1900, still under $2000 shipped.
Looked at an old Farmi this week that looked like this one but rusty   Link

Saw a decent Fransgard v4000 for $1800, maybe too big for a compact tractor?

thecfarm

Depends how big of a compact tractor.The V4000 weights 657 pounds and is suited for a 35-65 hp tractor.

John Mc

Quote from: rogdan on December 29, 2011, 07:41:50 PM
Looked at an old Farmi this week that looked like this one but rusty   Link

Are you sure you can even get parts for that?

QuoteSaw a decent Fransgard v4000 for $1800, maybe too big for a compact tractor?

As thecfarm mentioned, the v4000 should work fine on the larger compact tractors. I haven't seen a lot of Fransgard winches in my area. However, it's right between a Farmi 351 and a 501 for weight, and just a bit over the 351 for pulling power (351 = 7700#, V4000 = 8800#, Farmi 501= 11,000#). I've seen Farmi 351s on all sorts of compacts. The 501 I see on larger compacts (40 HP & up) and into the Utility farm tractor size range.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I would be more concerned about the 2 legs than the parts.That's why they all have a blade on the bottom now. Keeps the tractor from sliding backwards or with legs one catch on something and the other don't,I would think the tractor would try to come around sideways.

chevytaHOE5674

My farmi just has two legs like that and I've never had a problem with the tractor moving while winching, but I also have it on an 11-12k lbs tractor not a little compact. If both legs don't "bite" into the ground because the ground is uneven then you can adjust each legs height individually to match the terrain.

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on December 30, 2011, 08:13:04 AM
I would be more concerned about the 2 legs than the parts.That's why they all have a blade on the bottom now. Keeps the tractor from sliding backwards or with legs one catch on something and the other don't,I would think the tractor would try to come around sideways.

I didn't realize Farmi had stopped making the 351 with the legs instead of the blade. Personally, I prefer the blade, since I have some uses for that (clearing snow from a trail/landing, minor grading work or cleaning out water bars, etc.) It also does do a good job of helping to anchor my smaller tractor.

The model with legs does have some advantages as well: the "toe" on the end of each leg is better at picking up an end of a log to maneuver it around than the blade is. The clear space underneath allows you to still use the tractor's draw bar for pulling heavy loads while the winch is attached.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

I kinda was talking more about winter logging. Hard to tell what's you are on in a foot of snow. I still would prefer a blade. My blade folds up so I can use my drawbar too.  Probaly not many of us with a tractor that size under us too.

John Mc

Our local Farmi dealer doesn't stock or even attempt to sell the model with the legs. Everyone seems to want the blade.

I love that blade for the snow clearing, even though I usually have my loader on. I've got a Uniforest 35E winch (similar to a Farmi 351). The blade doesn't fold. I can raise it up enough to use a trailer in a pinch (if the tongue is long enough and if I stay on relatively smooth ground, so I don't crunch the tongue under the blade when going through a ditch). 

The larger Uniforest models come with an adapter that can be bolted on to a rib that runs up the middle of the blade. I noticed that my winch was drilled for this, so I bought one of the adapters from the distributor. I ended up replacing the bolts with pins and clips, so I can get it on and off without tools. It works pretty well. Probably not as good as the built in receiver hitch I've seen on some other winches. This does work fine for pulling a half cord of green firewood in my homebrew woods trailer (usually Beech, 1/2 cord = about 2500 to 3000 lbs.) I could pull more, but that's all that will fit in my trailer, at least until I get around to extending the sides up.

rogdan

QuoteAs thecfarm mentioned, the v4000 should work fine on the larger compact tractors.
Thanks, I may make an offer once I see how useful the gas winch I picked up is (or isn't). 

simonmeridew

agree with poster about hitching the smaller logs being harder on the tractor, especially fenders and TAILLITES. They jump up and down as you drive out. Make sure they're on a short leash when you hitch to the winch slots, that is, chain within 8 inches or so of butt end, then hitch the butt close to the winch. The heavier 12" to 20" logs just seem to stay down where they belong once you start to yard 'em out.
Only thing I can say re mechanical vs hydraulic is that the only issue you have is the wire rope may get a bad overlay and won't pull out without hitching to a tree and driving forward a couple of feet. I can't see that hydraulic would help that any. Otherwise my Farmi 351 is foolproof on my Kubota L4400
simonmeridew

Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Furu

Farmi's are indeed bulletproof as others have said.  A snatch block is invaluable.  You do not want to winch other than from near directly aft of the tractor as things happen fast and can roll a tractor very quick. Use of the snatch block can keep the pull redirected to +/- 10 degrees of aft very easy.  Size the winch for the tractor that you have, winch slowly and don't rush a pull even if it is a small one.  If a log hangs up on a stump bad things happen if pulling too quickly.  My Farmi 501 is one of my best pieces of equipment for moving things in the woods.

Tor Arne

There are many good winches on the market like Farmi, Tajfun, FransgÄrd and Igeland. Igeland has a good selection of one and two Tumbled winches from 4,409 pounds to 19,800 pounds, the loss requires a tractor of 15-30HP and the largest 80hp and up.

Link
http://www.igland-as.com/

Thank You Sponsors!