iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Curiosity Boxes

Started by metalspinner, December 15, 2011, 06:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

My oldest son has a very curious mind and loves to collect things that most people would find disgusting ranging all the way to horrifying. :D

Last year his B-day and Christmas lists included special items from an entomology websight. Very cool stuff if you ask me. ;)

These insects come packaged and dried in "unmounted" poses.  The customer needs to hydrate then pose the insect for display.  That was this past weekend's project. :)  His mother was not home during the work. :D

During the week, I made a few boxes for him to display his craft and handywork...

These boxes are made with spalted beech off-cuts with the largest being about  5" x 6".  A sliding lid reveals his curiosity protected under an 1/8" plexiglass panel.  I see many, many more boxes in my future. :D

I can't wait to work with the dinner plate sized spider he has! 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Clam77

:D   Just wait till his mother opens that dinner-plate sized spider box one day when he hands it to her and tells her it's a present...    :D

AWSOME looking boxes though.    8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

SwampDonkey

Nice handy work on those boxes.  ;D I think he's trying to impress the girls with the cool bugs. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

I am impressed with the boxes. My daughter with her entomology degree would be impressed with the insects.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

CHARLIE

Nice boxes! AND beautiful spalted beech! Your son has a treasure to keep his bugs in.  Both Tom and I were majoring in Entomology before we got into computer business.  It'll all drive you buggy.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

metalspinner

He is quite the bug guy.  His first merit badge in Boy Scouting was the Insect Merit badge. A few of the older kids couldn't believe he would attempt such a difficult one to start. :D  He could have written the book! :D :D

He had to interview someone who worked with insects.  His uncle is an exterminator. That didn't go over well. :D  So we interviewed a fella that works at the Audubon Insectarium in NOLA.  That was a great time. :) One thing he mentioned was that most entomologists specialize in just one bug.

Thanks for the kind words on the boxes.  It was nice to get in the shop and make something for the fun of it and without a deadline.  I forgot how much fun it can be. :)

WDH

The next time I see a spalted beech box with a sliding lid, I will open it carefully  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

Next time, it might not be a spalted beech box with a sliding lid. ;) :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TreeWinder

Very nice looking work on those boxes.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

D Hagens

Really nice boxes, and a very cool idea :)

Lud

Nice looking boxes.  What finish?
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

thecfarm

Better than seeing front of a TV,computer all day. You didn't do to bad either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busy Beaver Lumber

Very nice looking boxes. Now the fun can begin. Place one on the kitchen table with a note that says "Do Not Open Box". Most people can not resist the temptation and will open it anyway just out of curiosity. You will be able to tell when they do from the ear piercing scream.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

DanG

Quote from: metalspinner on December 16, 2011, 08:29:46 PM
Next time, it might not be a spalted beech box with a sliding lid. ;) :D

It also might not be dead. ;D

Great job, M-spinner! 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

metalspinner

:D :D

To finish off the joke the right way, a hidden video camera should be employed, right? ;D

Lud,
I used Deft spray lacquer.  We were a little impatient and wanted to mount them right away.  Three coats of lacquer were sprayed and dried in one day.  The lacquer also keeps the colors true (non yellowing).

SwampDonkey

I've been experimenting with non yellowing shellac this winter as well.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

I'm a real believer in both lacquer and shellac as a finish. It dries fast and doesn't yellow or darken the project. I rarely use a varnish finish anymore.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

I meant to say Shellac. On my stuff there is an expiry date to watch.

Thank You Sponsors!