iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meatballs and Homemade Noodles.

Started by Jeff, December 15, 2011, 01:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Last night for supper I used the pasta machine that I got Tammy for her birthday to make homemade noodles, and then I had Stacy help me make the most awesome Meatballs I ever made to go with them.  I'm looking forward to the left overs for Supper. Tammy will be on a trip, so I get all I want! 8)

I didn't keep track of exactly how much of what I put in the meatballs, but I can guess close.

1.5 lbs ground beef.
1 lb pork sausage. (The sausage we get for pigroast breafast)
1 dozen crushed Ritz crackers
1 large egg
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large sweet onion chopped.
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage

Mixed the ingredients, then formed meatballs about an inch and a half in diameter. I browned these in a very hot cast iron frying pan, then I put them in a baking dish and baked covered for 40 minutes, then uncovered for another 10 minutes. Removed from oven and drained.

I added one cup of mushroom soup with one cup of  milk to the homemade noodles and mixed that in. I them tossed in the meat balls and stirred them around. Using a word coined from Raider Bill and Burlkraft, it was "DELISH!"

I might manage a photo of the left overs if I think about it before I eat em. 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Pasta machine hmmmm,  What's the story on them? Worth it, easy to use?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Kas

Jeff, I'd be interested in the ingredients and method you used to make the noodles as I'm still learning...I got a KitchenAid for Christmas last year with all of the different pasta attachmets, and love to make my own noodles. Heck we even tried to make our own Cappeletties (successfully) and generally get good results, but it is still an adventure getting the noodle dough just right. I always seem to end up using more eggs than called for.  I have tried lots of the different flours too. Just curious on how you do you dough.

Scott
Scott

Jeff

Its the same recipe we use for the Raviloi video we did, that I'll paste below, but once the doe is sheeted, we use the kitchen aid pasta cutter attachment instead to cut the noodles.

Recipe is simple.

3.5 cups sifted flour
4 eggs
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix with blade for 30 seconds, then mix with dough hook for 2 minutes, Remove from bowl and hand knead for 2 minutes. Put back in bowl and cover with plastic for 15 minutes.  Remove from bowl and divide into 4 lumps. Run each through the pasta roller until it forms nice thin sheets. It takes several passes before the dough starts to hold together and gets where it needs to be. Once you get the dough all rolled out, feed it into the cutter.

You could do the same thing with a rolling pin and cut the noodles with a knife, but that is a lot of work. We used to do it though. :)

Now presenting the encore presentation of: THE RAVIOLI EXPERIENCE  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSBZE896m0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kas

Thank you Jeff, very similar to what I have tried. I absolutely love my Kitchen Aid, but I think my daughter (the future chef) thinks it's hers and it may dissapear one day.
It looks like everything you and your wife did to prepare the dough is the same, even noticed the amount of steps she changed on the dial are about the same.  The only pasta attachment I do not have is the raviolli one.  Gonna add it to my Christmas List now.
Now I'm hungry for raviolis.
Thank you

Scott
Scott

scgargoyle

Every year at Christmas, I make a LOT of Swedish Meatballs, both for the folks at work, and for at home. After years and years of tedious frying to brown them, I found it much easier to bake them in the oven! I then prepare a gravy which they go swimming in, and are heated in a crockpot.

We make pasta once in a while on our KA mixer as well.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Magicman

If you have a bunch of sausage to cook, grilling first and then finishing them in the oven works very well.

You can feed an early morning hungry group of Forumites that way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!