The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: DIY Fellerbuncher  (Read 23621 times)

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
Re: DIY Fellerbuncher
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2013, 06:09:51 pm »
Is the drive hub the rear axle off of a pickup? It looks familiar.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline northforker

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2013, 06:19:12 pm »
Ha! You are correct sir. Dodge, I believe. I figured why reinvent the wheel...or at least the axle.

Is the drive hub the rear axle off of a pickup? It looks familiar.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 12:19:08 am »
Oh I can totally appreciate repurposing items. That is a slick unit you built, you should be proud of it. Just don't be flipping the ASV over ;)

Offline northforker

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 12:48:19 pm »
Thanks! And I'll try an keep the tracks under me.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »
This side up ;D

Offline redneck logger

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 06:25:26 pm »
Hey Northforker have you done any good size cutting with that rig as far as small woodlots and stuff,also you should look into building a stroke harvester or something along that line and keep up the good work,I always love seeing what people can build and stuff like this just blows my mind smiley_clapping
got to love working in the woods

Offline northforker

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »
Thanks redneck_logger! The biggest tree I've felled with this is probably about 16-17" and that's much bigger than I'd dare grab on to. I actually thought about building a stroke harvester at the time I was building the disc saw. There's no reason it couldn't work. What I've learned is that my ASV has a plenty of power for felling trees, but has a pretty limited carrying capacity, basically 2200 lbs. at the bucket. I envisioned cutting trees and carrying them upright through the timber, thus keeping the weight close to the bucket. The video below shows that it's easier said than done, even in a stand that's fairly open.. So my next project will be designed to cut a tree down, cut it into manageable lengths, then carry or skid them. I'm designing a grapple right now that I can add a saw cassette module to when I get around to it, then possible adding some CTL module, either stroke or wheels.

Hey Northforker have you done any good size cutting with that rig as far as small woodlots and stuff,also you should look into building a stroke harvester or something along that line and keep up the good work,I always love seeing what people can build and stuff like this just blows my mind smiley_clapping

Offline redneck logger

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2013, 09:50:45 pm »
Right on buddy that sound like a good idea, id say by the look of things you would have no problem fabbing up a harvester head of some sory
got to love working in the woods

Offline Adeleron

• Member*
  • I'm new!
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 03:18:03 pm »
NorthForker,

Do you have any pictures of the motor assembly including the coupler to the hub?

Offline northforker

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 05:03:31 pm »
I don't have any pictures (and it's now covered in snow), but I made my own flexible mount of sorts. I used a rigid coupler between the motor and hub shaft with a shear pin on the hub side, but mounted the motor to the frame on rubber mounts and with slightly-oversize mounting holes. This way, the motor can wiggle a bit if it needs to.

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 07:24:16 pm »
Pretty awesome attachment.  Now that youve got some time on it.. Anything youd do differently if there was a version 2.0?

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 09:40:31 pm »
My brother has one slightly similar. It is on an ASV85. The differences are that he bought a shear, then he built the part to grab the tree. He has 2 shears, only one wears the holding part to grab a tree. He finds he has plenty of GPM and pressure to do the job. He does not carry the trees though, unless rather small, he cuts then tips it where he wants to set it down.However, he also has a stump grinder attachment and that works better on his Bobcat Toolcat, a little more GPM and about 200 more PSI.
What model is your ASV, his has 25 gpm at 2700 PSI the toolcat has 27 GPM at 2900 PSI. What seems like just a slight difference makes a big difference with the stump grinder.
On his ASV he also mounted a Fransgard V4000 rigid mount on the back, drives the winch with a hydraulic motor.
While my brother is a retired aircraft mechanic by trade, he has a small machine shop ( 2 lathes, a milling machine and some other things and does some machine work for hire, he is also an excellent welder and fabricator, while I've only successfully welded one thing that did not fall apart.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.