The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Logosol

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

Portable Sawmill and Planers Made by Logosol.

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Blower on classic central boiler  (Read 2904 times)

Offline mrwood

Blower on classic central boiler
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:48:40 pm »
Has anyone here installed the optional blower on the front of a classic central boiler?  A guy in my area has done it. He claims it helps alot. Says the damper is open less because the water comes up to temp faster. I am having a problem with my Coals completely burning up even with raking them to the front. I thought this blower might help but also I do not want to double my wood consumption so I wanted to see if any of you have experience with it.

Offline boilerman101

• Full Member x2
Re: Blower on classic central boiler
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:00 pm »
I tried one on my CB Classic 5648 before moving up to my Eclassic. Definitely burned more wood and I had a lot more issues with it burning away all the coals infront of the door in the firebox with the blower fan on, so I took it off after about 1 month. If you are already having problems with that happening, I would not recommend it. I also did not notice any increase in performance or shorter burn cycles. I always loaded with the butts of the logs to the door, with them only back 2-3 inches from the door frame. I never experienced any problems using natural draft.

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:39:41 am »
We had one on our 7260 for the first year.  We went through a lot of wood.  I took it off and I think the stove performs better without it.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com

Offline WI Fire

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:23:10 am »
What goes in, must go out. Forced fan may be necessary if you do not have access or do not have dry wood. Your coal bed may be going down quickly, because so much heat is being used to dry the wet wood. There are boiler Officiandos, who swear by burning a mix of dry and less dry wood, extending reload times. This is probably accurate, but  more wet wood = less heat in btu's for your house, because you are using the heat to dry the wood to burn. When I had  a classic the first year, I DID have to add a front fan, because I did not have enough dry wood, and temps were better than - 20 f. I DID use more wood, part because of the heat being used to dry wood, part because I was moving greater volumes of air (and heat) up the chimney. You do what you have to do.

Also, if one has dry wood, recovery times will be quicker, but so what? You are still losing more up the chimney. When I learned the "better burn practices" which included having an adequate seasoned wood cut well in advance of the next winter, I did much better employing the natural draft that came with the unit.
If you are in a situation that you may need both-- add a switch (waterproof) to the fan wire on the front of the fan box, you will have the option without a lot of hassle.

Best of all, is keeping a good coal bed established, and not being too aggressive in removing your clinkers and ashes which help hold fire between cycles.

Best Wishes,
Tim

Offline terra8186

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:57:24 pm »
I have a 6048.  I bought it with a fan and I took it off after 1 year.  I used a lot more wood with the fan.

The other thing is that the cold air blowing into the firebox cools the water temperature quicker.

The only reason to use it is to keep up with a high heat demand.  If you can keep your house warm without it, then don't put it on.

Offline mrwood

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
Thank you guys for all the replies. I believe what I need is to find someone that has a 5036. The problem I am having is getting my coals to burn up all the way. I know 3 people in the area that have 6048 and they have no problem. Once my initial wood is burnt up if I don't rake my coals everytime the damper opens they get buried under ash and the boiler will never get up to temp. Like I said I know of 3 6048's and they never have to rake that much. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a difference in the 5036 that makes it work this way. This is my first heating season with mine and my brothers first season with his 6048 and the difference in coals and ash is night and day. When he opens his up it is nothing but powder. If I try that I am down to 130 and still have a half a furnace of non burnt coals that when raked will burn but at that point you have to do it every damper cycle

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:11:34 pm »
mrwood
Different species of wood will behave differently regards complete burn vs. needing to be stirred to remove the ash layer on top. Might be the other 3 are not using the same wood and same moisture content as thee.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline mrwood

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:43:46 pm »
What you say is very true. All I know for sure is my brother and I bought slab wood from the same place and same time of year so I would have to amagine that our wood is very similar in type and moisture. It is. Wry disappointing to know what I could have

Offline trapper

• I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:13:13 pm »
Does the length of the stove pipe make a difference?  How much do people use on the classic?
Marv
lt30 stihl025  400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson

Offline OneWithWood

• Senior Member x2
  • I am happy!
    • elmhouseindiana.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:23:37 am »
Slab wood produces significantly more ash than split rounds.  It is entirely possible that the slabwood you have is different than your brothers.  If you have slabs from a thick barked tree you will end up with more ash.
Be sure to rake out the ash and coals before adding fuel.  By that I do not mean remove the ash and coals but to rake the pile forward and level.
It also helps to build the fire in the center of the stove.  Too far back and you loose heat up the chimney.  Too far forward and you do not maximize the heat transfer to the water jacket.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
www.elmhouseindiana.com