iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Lube

Started by Knute, December 14, 2011, 08:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Has anyone had a problem with windshield wash staining the wood? I have noticed a little stain when the boards come off, but I am thinking it will probably be eliminated by the planer.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Brucer

It may depend on the species. No staining on Douglas-Fir, Western Red Cedar, Western Larch, or White Spruce.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

What brand/color fluid were you using and on what species?

I use this, and have not seen any stain or had any complaints.

Purging the system at the evening shutdown.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I mix the blue washer fluid in my lube mixer. I only notice it when sawing oak. But after I sticker by boards, the blueish looking stain evaporates and nothings let except sawdust. Brush the saw dust off and I have a good-looking Oak board.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peder McElroy

New to band mills. LT40.I cut mostly Redwood thats green and have not been using lube of any kind and don't see any problem. Do you always need to use lube?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I always do. I set my sprayer on my Lubmizer to spray at different times depending on what I am cutting. However, there are different strokes for different folks. Different sawyers, different wood, depending what part of the country you saw in.

Peder, you can use the search box and find a lot of comments about lubes, different mixtures, water, diesel, cooking oil, soap, etc. I mean it goes on and on and on.

Lots of good talk about about blade lubes in search.

Good Luck and if ya can't find what your looking for, SOMEBODY will help you!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Peder,you don't always need lube,if your band remains reasonally clean no   need.My old partner and I never used lube with his LT-70 cedar, oak and pine. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

cypresskayaksllc

The windshield washer fluid I use is ethanol and water I think. That shouldnt leave a stain. I cant believe yall cut pine without lube. I think my bands would melt cutting pine without lube.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

mandolin

Well, I guess I'm just a cheap rascal. I use plain water with about 4 drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the tank. Works fine.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

Knute

I have been using the blue solution and sawing oak. Thanks for all the comments.

Peder McElroy

Thank you Frank C , blade is clean , so I'll keep on without it untill I need it.
Peder

Full Circle

Besides keeping the blade clean, I also use the lube to keep the blade cool.  I was milling some "seasoned" logs today (walnut and maple) and they were really quite dry.  Noticed my blade tension falling off in the middle of a cut (maybe 14 inches wide), turned on the lube, and the tension increased again.  I ran with lube for the rest of the logs and it seemed to help a lot.  Same thing happened while milling wide, green, hard maple.  I'm learning to get the feel for this, so don't take this as gospel.  Just another way to think of the lube.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

JD350Cmark

Quote from: Peder McElroy on December 15, 2011, 11:18:41 AM
New to band mills. LT40.I cut mostly Redwood thats green and have not been using lube of any kind and don't see any problem. Do you always need to use lube?

Peder,

Lube is not needed on Redwood.  I use it on Fir & Pine, every time.
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Thank You Sponsors!