iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

birch bark retention

Started by nas, December 14, 2011, 02:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

I have a customer who wants 12"Dx18"L birch logs for display and end tables.  He is concerned about the bark coming loose from the log.  He's not concerned about little bits coming off, but the whole bark.  I didn't think it was an issue, but just want to know what you guys thought.  Does anyone have any experience with this, and is there a better time of year to cut it.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Bill Johnson

I've had birch logs that sit in the garage and slowly dry out hold their bark even after years it is still tight with no signs of break down.  Those pieces were only about 6" in diameter though but I suspect that larger ones would act the same way.
Bill

WDH

Best to cut the wood in the dead of winter.  When the cambium is active (growing), the bark is more likely to come off.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

Thanks.  Good thing that is the season that is coming up :)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

White birch will probably be fine. However, yellow birch won't hold when the wood dries. I know it don't hold in the firewood in the basement. It's all winter cut. Small rounds may behave differently as there isn't as much diameter and circumference to shrink.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Nas,

Your timing is impeccable  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Clark

Mushrooms could become a problem with the bark on and the wood not being split.  Whether it's on a canoe or the tree, paper birch bark doesn't let water through.  If he gets them cut to length quickly and has them dry in a dry enough environment he might not have a problem.  It doesn't take much to develop fruiting bodies on cut, non-split birch.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Jeff

This may not be exactly applicable because of the smaller size, but this bark has held on since this post.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,921.0.html

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

nas

I think those should be dry by now ;D  I think I will cut a few next week and bring them inside to see what happens.
Thanks,
Nick

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!