iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Log Sawing Deal

Started by Magicman, December 14, 2011, 08:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This proves that I know nothing about posting a video, but the content is priceless, and so typical of what some folks think of their logs.

(Maybe an admin can reduce it to just a link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcLlKcXp40
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

Magicman

That clip is awesome and I am still laughing.

Reminds me of the time that a young fellow called me and said he had some nice maple logs to sell. I told him I would buy any that he had that were more than 12 inches in diameter at the smallest end of the log. Gave him a price that he was happy with and he agreed to bring me 10 logs.

A day later he shows up at the building in an S10 pickup truck and says he is here to sell me the logs we agreed on. I asked him where the logs were, since from where I was standing it appeared his truck was empty and I knew there was no way he had 10 12" diameter logs in the bed. He replied the logs were in the bed of the truck. I walked over to see 10 branches about 4 to 6 inches in diameter and told him they were of no use to me. He then became mildly angry and accused me of going back on my word and wasting his time and fuel. I assured him that I am a man of my word and grabbed a tape measure to prove it to him. Measuring the diameter of what he brought, most of them measured 4 to 5 inches across. He then told me that I was doing it wrong and took the tape measure from my hand and wrapped it around the branch to show me that it measured almost 15 inches.

After a brief lesson in geometry explaining the difference between diameter and circumference, and using the internet to prove to him that what I was saying is true, his face suddenly turned red and he became very appoligetic. So that it was not a complete waste of his time, I did pay him more than a fair price for the wood as firewood and alas a few weeks later he did actually show up with some nice walnut logs that were in fact about 15 inches in diameter which I gladly purchased from him.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

rph816

I love that.  I only mill for a hobby, so I make a point to never pay for logs.  I'll cut on shares, but more often than not, I fell or haul or get rid of the brush.  I used to run an add on CL for logs and people would call trying to sell me (standing) timber.  I would politely inform them that I was not buying standing timber and gave them referrals to several local reputable tree services.  Once they found out how expensive cutting and hauling trees really is, they'd call me back and say the tree service cut them a deal if I was willing to haul off the log.  Patience and a polite demeanor go a long way in educating people about something as "apparently simple" as sawmill economics. 

Ryan

davey duck

I've had that happen a few times,they tell you on the phone they have 10 to 15 logs to saw and they are 12 to 15" in dia. when you drive 30 miles to saw them it is just a pile of fence posts.I would rather cut at home anyhow.

David G.Fleming

Jeff

It's been posted before, and I'm not surprised who created the video. Actually, I don't find it that funny, due to some of the attitude in it. 

EDIT:  I just looked at the video above. This is the second incarnation, the first one I saw, it was a woman character that had the log, and the potential log buyer asked her if she "was stupid" more than once and it was created and posted by a different person, and appears to have been removed from youtube along with the user that posted it.

This version is a recreation posted by a different person, while quite similar, it is much more congenial than the first one I watched.

You can make your own movie like they did, here.
http://www.xtranormal.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

Sorry to hear the first version is no longer up...That one was fall off the chair funny. :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Magicman

I picked up on this video simply because it was illustrating what we as sawyers and buyers see occasionally.  For some reason, folks think that their Walnut logs are pure gold, when in reality so many really big logs came from yard trees.

Dodgy Loner and I attempted to saw a 34" log yesterday.  It had net (hog) wire extending 53" from the butt that had been stapled to the tree when it was no more than 12" diameter.  This rendered that butt log worthless, but to a casual landowner, it could have been "very valuable".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

Ive had a lot of "diameter" miscommunications. Now I never ask what the diameter is. I just ask what the radius is and then times it by two.  ;D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Ironwood

Well, that is a good video on a couple of notes:

it shows how perception of "one of my buddies says", well "did he offer to buy your log for that?" PERFECT.

Also, I tend to explain the idea of risk. If you think it is worth "big buck" pay me to haul it, mill it, then YOU can make BIG bucks, PERFECT! 

Yard/tree owner " I am not in the sawmill business and I dont have ANY use for this log", again PERFECT! 

Simple, but makes several good points. Cost of "my time" and cost of "expensive equipment".

Ironwood

PS, I now ask folks on the phone to compare the size of the tree to something we all know ( a TOILET seat or a 5 GALLON bucket), AND how long it is. Experience speaking there  ::)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

AvT

Great find MM

The line :

"His cousins mother inlaws stepsons neighbor sold one like this for a hefty chunk of change"

Is priceless
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Meadows Miller

Lmao  :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :) Thats was a good one Lynn  ;) :D :D ;D 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Brad_bb

I thought they were both funny.  Obviously born of frustration with common misconception.  They weren't directed at anyone in particular.  Definitely funny.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kansas

Had a guy once haul in an oak about 45 miles in the back of a pickup. Not sure if it would have made good firewood. His buddies at the bar convinced him it was worth at least 700 dollars.

Jeff

You don't ask an uninformed person in real life if they are stupid any more than you would say that to someone here that asked a first question about something they know nothing of, or have misconceptions of because of other's misconceptions. THat is what the first version did.

New Forum Member: "I heard that dry logs are easier to saw"
Example answer like the video gave:  "Are You Stupid?"

Where is that funny?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tomsteve

Magicman

It's obvious that they don't know the difference between "diameter" and circumference" or my eyes are really screwy.

Texas Ranger

They are mathematically impaired, on circumference, diameter, and value.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ms Meadows Miller

That is hilarious! I saw a video like that on youtube about ICU nurse vs ER nurse. You should check it out. Its pretty funny too.

5quarter

Jeff...what was really funny about the first one is that the sawyer says all the things many of us think in these situations, but would actually never say. In the first video, the woman is told several times why her walnut tree is not "highly valuable". only after she demonstrates that she cannot comprehend anything the sawyer is saying no matter how many ways he says it does he finally ask if shes retarded.then there is that awkward pause...I'm sorry Jeff, but that is Funny.
  Your example might be funny if you explained numerous times and in great detail why it is not easy to saw dry logs and the Newbee then says, "so then its easy to saw dry logs?"
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

tomsteve

i hope none of the folks that think their walnut is extremely valuable dont come on here and see the thread in the firewood section on the firewood too nice to burn. then there would be a gajillion folks thinking their walnut AND maple trees are worth a fortune.

shelbycharger400

even if the tree is 86 in circumf.,  i have never heard or seen  a 7 ft dia walnut

Ironwood

I went and looked at a cherry tree that was 6' in diameter once ::) Errrr, ....make that circumference, one of the reasons I now ask the tiolet seat/ five gallon bucket question  :-\

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

logboy

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on December 18, 2011, 09:55:31 PM
even if the tree is 86 in circumf.,  i have never heard or seen  a 7 ft dia walnut

I found this one on the web, claiming to be 8' wide walnut. I have looked all over the web for the owner/sawyer to no avail. I'd love to know how they milled it and moved the slabs.

http://blog.johnhoushmand.com/?p=367
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: logboy on October 27, 2012, 10:35:14 PM
Quote from: shelbycharger400 on December 18, 2011, 09:55:31 PM

I found this one on the web, claiming to be 8' wide walnut. I have looked all over the web for the owner/sawyer to no avail. I'd love to know how they milled it and moved the slabs.

http://blog.johnhoushmand.com/?p=367

They're calling that a black walnut, but it's in the Pacific Northwest? I know there are walnut trees on the west coast, but I didn't think they were black walnut. What am I missing here?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

logboy

According to this West Coast retail outlet, it's Claro Walnut, or "Oregon Black Walnut."

http://www.gobywalnut.com/

Okrafarmer

Claro I've heard of. I don't think it's the same species as Black Walnut, right?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

logboy

Apparently its a different species.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Claro_Walnut_Characteristics.html

Hopefully Gene will read this thread and weigh in and educate us. I'm a midwestern resident so I have no experience with it.

Nomad

Logboy, have you tried going to www.johnhoushmand.com and contacting the blogger directly?  He most likely could get you pointed in the right direction.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!