iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oxygen Barrier pex

Started by Jack72, December 13, 2011, 09:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack72

Do you need to use the oxygen barrier pex for the piping in the house after the underground thermoplex?

or since it is a open system with the corrison prohibitor in the water its not neccesary????????????
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

SPIKER

The Ox barrier should be used anytime there is steel in the system to prevent O2 from getting/mixing dissolved into the water that helps stop the steel from corroding as bad.   The costs are not much different from what I remember maybe 20% more for the tubing?   I have it in my concrete floor now have not finished hooking it up yet though as rest of building is un insulated.   Also it is a LOT more rugged & thicker basically 2 times the wall thickness as std PEX.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

boilerman101

In a closed, pressurized boiler system I would recommend using an oxygen barrier pex, to eliminate oxygen/air from penetrating into the water causing air locks and even corrosion as many closed systems don't use water protectant treatments. There are various ratings on pex as well, 140 degree at 80 psi and a better 180 degree at 100 psi rating which is all I would personally use for infloor systems and certainly for an outdoor wood boiler.

Most outdoor wood boilers are open systems, so the use of oxygen barrier pex is irrelevant since oxygen is always present. That is why the manufacturers water treatment/corrosion inhibitor is always necessary and a requirement to protect the boiler from corrosion problems in the water jacket. Some companies even demand that a water sample is sent to the factory every six months for testing or they void your warranty.

Jack72

I thought that was the case     because the of the ihibitor that they have you add       I think if I purchase any more pex in the future   I will purchase the o2 barrier just because its not much more in cost     And as spiker said also  in his post its thicker too and more durable                I guess I should have done a little more research on the pex before I bought     I jumped the gun on that.    I have the regular pex from the (thermopex underground)    to my furnace maybe 50 feet installed          I guess I need to check the ratings on that I may be changing that anyway if its not rated high enough                 Thanks for your replys  Jack
13 Chevy Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern 25 Ton Splitter

Thank You Sponsors!