iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fresh Seafood

Started by Norm, December 12, 2011, 07:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Do you boil those Stone crab claws and then crack them open, grill them or what?

What is your recipe?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Generally the crabber par boils them right off the boat. You can either steam, boil, grill or eat cold. The shells are pretty thick so a hammer or set of nut crackers work well.
Dip the meat in melted butter.

DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Mooseherder

Bill is right about them being cooked and iced right away.
I like them re-steamed to warm and dipped in melted butter.  They are a real treat.
Stone Crab fishermen harvest one claw and throw the crab back into the water for it to grow another one.  Pretty sustainable industry.  The fishery is controlled by a select few who determine who gets what.
We have a shell cracker I'll try to get a picture of tomorrow.
I'm loading a video right now of the days Fish. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YakemG6k6PY&feature=youtube

Norm

Ok forget the vacation to Iowa I'm moving into that store.  :D

isawlogs

Norm , get a place with an extra room .... Droolin' on my keyboard.  Glenn, stop its hurtin'    :D :D :D
  I wonder how many I can eat of those before passing out  ???   :) :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: isawlogs on December 16, 2011, 08:57:46 AM
Norm , get a place with an extra room .... Droolin' on my keyboard.  Glenn, stop its hurtin'    :D :D :D
  I wonder how many I can eat of those before passing out  ???   :) :) :)

Taste wise they are right up with a good Alaskan King Crab. Pretty rich but DELISH!

I pay $20 for a gallon zip-lock bag full off a boat.

WH_Conley

Norm, bring the grill. I'll bring the wood.
Bill

WDH

OK, looks like a Road Trip to Florida  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

The Door is wide open! ;)

isawlogs

Door.... ?  Didya get da ruff done yet ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

The roof is about 75 percent done.
I'm working my day off tomorrow at the one who pays the bills because of the new store.
The roof will be finished Sunday though. :)

WDH

Don't grind that buffalo!  We will come down and grill it in the New Pavilion  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Where is this store located Glenn?

You never know someone from Iowa may just show up and sample an item or three out of that display case.  :)

Mooseherder

It's on Palm Beach.  Some very famous people were there yesterday.
Stone Crab claws are in season till March.
The thick white fillets are Chilean Sea Bass.  You have to try that also. :)

Mooseherder

Here is the Claw cracker we use to break the shells.
This one works good.

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

There seems to be a lot of wiggle room with Chilean Sea Bass. Many species take on that name when for sale. I like it but sometimes wonder what I really am eating....

Had some more stoners Saturday!

Burlkraft

Christmas eve dinner is in the planning stages here.

We've decided on Halibit and hash browns. I have some sourdough starter in the making so we'll have some fresh bread.

I'll put the fish on the egg

Jill is in charge of desert so I have no idea what that will be.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 19, 2011, 09:26:43 AM
There seems to be a lot of wiggle room with Chilean Sea Bass. Many species take on that name when for sale. I like it but sometimes wonder what I really am eating....

There were two arrests recently of Restaurant managers who were selling fish labeled as something more expensive.  It's about time because this has happened to me when I ordered Grouper one time.  They brought out a Tilapia fillet on a bun.  >:(

You can definitely pick out Chilean Sea Bass by it's appearance, texture and flavor.
We do dna testing and so doesn't most large retailers and Government agencies nowadays.
Buy only from reputable suppliers who follow HACCP and COOL.  HACCP and COOL is the law for seafood and any question to the validity of product needs to be backed up with a paper trail.  The problem is Restaurants are not subject to COOL. ::)

It's also a very forgiving species if you overcook a little bit. ;)
I really like something thick that flakes off.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 19, 2011, 10:20:42 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on December 19, 2011, 09:26:43 AM

There were two arrests recently of Restaurant managers who were selling fish labeled as something more expensive.  It's about time because this has happened to me when I ordered Grouper one time.  They brought out a Tilapia fillet on a bun.  >:(

You can definitely pick out Chilean Sea Bass by it's appearance, texture and flavor.
We do dna testing and so doesn't most large retailers and Government agencies nowadays.
Buy only from reputable suppliers who follow HACCP and COOL.  HACCP and COOL is the law for seafood and any question to the validity of product needs to be backed up with a paper trail.  The problem is Restaurants are not subject to COOL. ::)

It's also a very forgiving species if you overcook a little bit. ;)
I really like something thick that flakes off.

Roger that! There was big goings on around here a few years ago with retailers selling Asian catfish as grouper and other high end species. As I remember it all started with a 10th grader doing a school project discovering that what was being sold as grouper etc was in fact not. Some very big name restaurants and even the Executive dining room in our State Capitol were caught.

Thank You Sponsors!