iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fresh Seafood

Started by Norm, December 12, 2011, 07:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I love seafood but as you can imagine getting it in Iowa is pretty hard to do. Any of you that live in the coastal areas have a favorite fish monger that you can recommend that ships?

Raider Bill

Norm,

I'm on the gulf coast where there are many fishing boats and fleets. Historically I have tried shipping to Northern friends with mixed results.
What are you looking for Shrimp, Grouper, Stone crabs, dolphin all the above?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Norm

Yep all of the above but I don't expect you to do it Bill. Aren't there some of them that ship?

scsmith42

Norm, I'll check with the manager at our favorite local fish restaraunt to see where vendors they deal with, and let you know what I come up with.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

I wouldn't, I tried it before with very mixed results mostly due to the shipping company.
Heck why don't you guys just come on down, Stone crabs are in season, I'm buying!

My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Don_Papenburg

I prefer fresh pond food . Linda likes to go catch the bass and fry up a bunch with b eer batter. and i like to make them dissapear .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sandhills

Norm, I have 2 cousins that live in Alaska and regularly ship crab, salmon, halibut to my Aunt and Uncle here.  I'll ask how they package it, the summer I was up there I brought home 3 BIG salmon froze and stuffed in a duffle bag full of newspaper, 12 hours of airport and airflight and it was still mostly frozen.  Kinda funny to watch the xray people at the airports though trying to figure out what I was carrying, today I'd probably wind up in jail for doing the same thing. :D :D

D Hagens

I totally forget the name of the place but I used to order it fresh. They would kill the crab and with in an hour it was on a plane. Usually took about 8 hours to get to me.
They'd pack in a styrofoam cooler and have packs of dry ice in it.
That was real good eating, almost like catching it myself.

Mooseherder

If there is any company that can do it right it would be this one.
We buy a lot of product from them and the owner Gib is a class act.
By far the best supplier we have but we get direct delivery everyday.
He is the kind of guy that works but doesn't have to.  This is a very big operation.
http://www.saveonseafood.com/
You have to call or e-mail them for a login name before you can access their site.

Another quality Seafood company we have local that I trust is Cod and Capers.
http://codandcapers.com/
Check their shipping information. 

Norm

Raider Bill

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 13, 2011, 06:21:04 PM
If there is any company that can do it right it would be this one.
We buy a lot of product from them and the owner Gib is a class act.
By far the best supplier we have but we get direct delivery everyday.
He is the kind of guy that works but doesn't have to.  This is a very big operation.
http://www.saveonseafood.com/
You have to call or e-mail them for a login name before you can access their site.

Another quality Seafood company we have local that I trust is Cod and Capers.
http://codandcapers.com/
Check their shipping information.

Glenn would sure know!

Mooseherder

I've got some Stone crab claw pics to upload when I get home later....wow
We are opening a new store tomorrow and I sure wish you could see this thing. :)

Norm

Raider Bill

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 14, 2011, 04:02:33 PM
I've got some Stone crab claw pics to upload when I get home later....wow
We are opening a new store tomorrow and I sure wish you could see this thing. :)

That's what I'm having tonight for supper!

Mooseherder

We got 200 lbs of large and jumbo today.
The vendor promised us Colassal tomorrow.

Norm

I'll take the box in the front.  :)

Aww come on I'll bet you've never been to Iowa in December.  :D

isawlogs

Man they look good.   :) :) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Mooseherder

I'll be on the island of Palm Beach tomorrow but would much rather be in Iowa.
No one wears socks there. :D
I'll try to video some of their excess for you on my flip camera. ;D

LeeB

Seriously, can those be bought and shipped without having to give up anotomy parts from the left side?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Clam77

Norm - If you have any luck shipping seafood here to Iowa, lemme know... I'd most likely be interested in ordering something. 

One can only tolerate the store-bought stuff for so long...   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

WDH

DanG Glenn,

You got me ready to go find a crab store somewhere (but there ain't one  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Well I ain't a crab fan, but I will say that I would take any advice that Glenn offers concerning the consumption of dead animals.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

Aw, I'm getting all warm and fuzzy inside. :D
Well it's time to make the doughnuts.  I'll try to get some shots of the most expensive stuff possible.  We had a Caviar tasting/demonstration for our associates a couple days back.
Let me tell you it ain't all that good. ::)

Raider Bill

jim king

QuoteAw, I'm getting all warm and fuzzy inside.
Well it's time to make the doughnuts.  I'll try to get some shots of the most expensive stuff possible.  We had a Caviar tasting/demonstration for our associates a couple days back.
Let me tell you it ain't all that good.

Caviar reminds me of slippery grits.

Thank You Sponsors!