iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Purchased a Used Stihl 044 today. Did I do good?

Started by landrand, December 12, 2011, 12:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landrand

Today I bought a used Stihl 044 with 20" bar and new chain for $350 from a local party advertised on Craigslist. I know very little about the Stihl saws.  When I  looked at the saw, it was apparent that it was used very little.  It's very clean with hardly any scratches, blemishes and it starts easy and as far as I can tell, it  runs well.   I did a little bit of research online before I bought it and it appears this model is well liked and a pretty good saw overall.   Was wondering if anyone can provide any info on the saw from the numbers on the case. Does anyone know what year it was manufactured, etc.   It is from Engine Family: WA8XS.077 RA, M.D.:9806, Type:044.   I think $350 was a fair deal for the saw.   Not sure what a "comparable" new saw would cost. 

I currently have a Husqvarna 353 and a Rancher 55.  The Stihl 044 seems like it will fit nicely in my collection for the bigger stuff.  A few months ago, I talked to my Husqvarna repair man and he indicated that he liked the older saws (pre-EPA) better than the new ones.  I initially was thinking about getting a new Husky 372XP, but after talking to him, I kept a lookout for used saws and this 044 came around.  I have a portable sawmill that I use as a hobby and I cut plenty of firewood for my own use so I think this 044 will be a nice addition to my tool box.

I was planning to take the 044 out tomorrow and cut firewood.  Is there anything I should check out or do with the saw before taking it out and cutting with it for a day.   I'm assuming I can use the same fuel (octane 93) and Husky oil mix that I use with my other saws? Thanks and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

T Welsh

Sounds like you got a good deal,fair price for them,we just found another one about 3 months ago and gave $400.00 for it. great middle weight saw.clean the air filter and fresh gas and go cut. I think about the only thing you may encounter is a cracked fuel line if the saw sat for long time with out use or may  be an impluse line from case to carb. I have 2 044 that are used everyday,one wears a 24" bar and the other a 36" bar. good luck, Tim

islandlogger

Did you do good?
Put it this way, if it was ME that had found a good used 0-44 for a good deal I would slap a post on here so quick with so many exclamation points of joy and and dancing jigs of satisfaction there wouldn't be enough space for the post!!!! In my humble opinion the original 0-44 was one of Stihl best ever all around saw they made! It's the saw I started with when I hit the woods and the one I bought new in '92 is still cutting although it's had so many rebuilds by now it's a "part time" and put on "easy duty" these days. I put that saw through some extreme cutting and it just never would balk or give me any grief, it just kept pulling chips like it was meant to do...when I finely "retire" mine it will hold a very honorable place in the shop, it put alot of money in my pocket and was as faithful as a good ol hound dawg!!
GOOD score!! Have fun, it will treat you well if you treat it well!!

safe

islandlogger

tyb525

I believe the 044 replace the 038, and the 038 was an awesome saw (I have one). Don't know much about the 044.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

islandlogger

I've got a 0-38 as well I scored not long ago and I agree it IS a fine saw and I love it, but that 0-44....it's a dandy!!

T Welsh

My everyday all around saw,I have 4 different bars for it but she wears a 36 most of the time. Tim

sawguy21

As long it is in top condition and you are happy ya done good :D That is more than I would pay for a used saw but that is just me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

RobbyRob

I have an MS311 and used the 039 and 044 and the 044 is a good saw.
I had a 24in bar with a half skip chain on it. It never bogged down cutting hard maple. If you got one hardly used then you are lucky.
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

landrand

So far, the saw runs good.  Starts right up and sounds good.  By the looks of it, this saw wasn't used much.  The only thing that I need to look at is the chain and bar.  The saw came with a 20" stihl bar/chain.  The chain was relatively new, but really dull .  So far, I sharpened it twice by hand yet it doesn't seem to want to cut well.   I admit that I'm not all that good at sharpening chains, but I usually can get my husky saws chains to cut pretty good.   I assume the 044 chain requires a 7/32 file.  I usually use one of those little sharpening "thingamajigs", but the one I have isn't the right size.  I'll probably bring the chain in to a local shop and let them sharpen the bugger!

My Husqvarna 353 and rancher 55 have 18" bars on them.  I was thinking about buying another chain for the 044.  I'm wondering if I should invest in a new 24" bar/chain or larger. That way, I have the full gamut of saws sizes and capabilities.

If I buy a new bar, should I stick with the Stihl bar/chain or should I go with something else like oregon, etc.  I don't really know anything about chains/bars and what would be best so any help from the guru's would be greatly appreciated.

islandlogger

Good to hear it's running good for you!! If the chain doesn't seem to be cutting properly after you have filed it, check the rakers, make sure they arn't to high. Hand filing takes alot of practice but once you got it down your good to go....
You will get good fast cutting with a 24" bar on a 0-44, I usually never ran anything shorter then a 32" on mine but then again that's just due to the tree size I usually deal with...
As far as bar brands etc, I almost ALWAYS go with ordering out of Baileys (sponsor to the left) they are my go to people for almost all my cutting needs, fair prices, good service and been around a long time. They carry different bars and chains, I usually go with a Oregon bar and chain (full skip round filed chisel) or if I'm feeling deeper in the pocket I sure do like them Windsor bars!

luck

islandlogger

JohnG28

I got a good deal on a Windsor 24" b/c combo a while back for my 361.  I haven't used it a lot but seems like a really good bar, definitely solid.  I would look at one for that 044 if you thinking about getting a new b/c for it.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

T Welsh

landrand, Baileys is a good place to get parts, as far as putting a new bar and chain on the saw. take a look at Stihl,s bars and chains,they are more expensive,but you get what you pay for ;D. after market bars and chain will do the same job too at a lot less cost. do your self a favor and take a hard look at both and choose what works for you. If it was my saw I would get a Stihl bar and 33rsc chain.But thats just me! I use these tools everyday and the extra money spent on better equipment is justified,in your case,after market parts will work just the same,at a lower cost.Happy sawing! Tim

scsmith42

Landrand, I think that you purchased a great saw!  I've had an 044 for 11 years, and really like it a lot.  It's my primary saw.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Al_Smith

Generaly speaking a 36" is a strain on an 044 .I've seen one that was reworked by Dan Henry that could take it though .

I've got a reworked 038 Mag that does okay with a 32" but it's usually not needed  .

Either one of these saws are field proven and both are desirable .Many prefer the 044 to the 038 mag .Myself the later .

T Welsh

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 17, 2011, 06:52:08 AM
Generaly speaking a 36" is a strain on an 044 .I've seen one that was reworked by Dan Henry that could take it though .

I've got a reworked 038 Mag that does okay with a 32" but it's usually not needed  .

Either one of these saws are field proven and both are desirable .Many prefer the 044 to the 038 mag .Myself the later .
Al, my brother still has his038 Mag from the late 70,s early 80,s era! I worked on it about two years ago. he had not started it in 4 years and had to clean carb. it fired up and ran like a raped ape. I love those era saws. I did tell him that it would need new fuel line and impluse line in a few years. Tim

ENTS

Hate you, Hate you, Hate you --  Not really, ;D  just jealous.  That's my favorite saw.  Was my main saw when I was cutting timber until I ran over it with my 933 tract-loader.  Had to go buy a new 460.  However, currently have 3 044 on the bench (or I should say in a box waiting to be worked on).  Enjoy the saw, it's a winner.

Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Dave VH

I just picked up a used 044 magnum also, 28" bar from a friend.  Glad to hear how much everyone here likes that saw, I haven't even got a chance to use it yet, I'm looking forward to it.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Al_Smith

They had a following which is I suppose why Stihl brought them back in the line up .

Thank You Sponsors!