iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Restart issue with Dolmar 6400

Started by tbrickner, December 11, 2011, 11:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrickner

I have a Dolmar 6400 that after about an hour to 1/2 hour of cutting won't restart.  The unit works well when it is running but after about 1/2 hour to an hour of running it won't start after refuelling.  I have it tuned so that shouldn't be the issue in my mind.

Any thoughts as to what may cause this.

The unit cuts like crazy when it is running and is a good saw except for the restart issue.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

ladylake

Check for spark when it wont start, could be the coil failing. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

T Welsh

I am have not used a dolmar for many years but its a 2 stoke! as ladylake, said check for spark after this happens,it should be a sharp blue spark. it could also be in the fuel system,make sure it has a working tank vent and its not plugged up.also check that its getting fuel. those are starts to look for until you find a problem. Tim

John Mc

Others on here are much more knowledgeable than I in this area, but here's something to consider:

Does it seem particularly hot when you shut it down? If so, try letting it idle a bit to cool down before shutting off.

I don't know Dolmars very well, but some models of saws that run hot can boil the fuel in the line after shut down. This can make restarting tough. It doesn't happen when it's running, since the constant flow of fuel keeps putting fresh fuel in the line before it can boil.

If the cool down helps, let us know... there may be things you can do to help this (aside from just remembering to let it idle before shutting off).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

islandlogger

My forester buddy swears by Dolmars and has a passle of 5100S saws that he has his crew use. I work for him now and then and almost always use his saws and actually really like that 5100S, on one of those occasions it did just as you describe and it all came down to throwing a new hot plug in and zap good to go again, no probs...be my first try...

luck

islandlogger

T Welsh

Interesting that a saw would get vapor lock! Just a poor design in laying out the fuel system I suppose! The quick fix for these vapor lock problems are to insulate the fuel line with fiberglass insulation(cars,trucks,tractors) I have never encountered a saw that has done it,but anything is possible. Tim

Adam916

First does the muffler have a spark arrestor? If it does it might be plugged if it is it's cheap and quick to fix. Also check the line going from the carb to the crank case for cracks that is cheap and quick to fix also. Next I would look at the intake for cracks. If everything checks out pull the plug and take a lighter and heat up the bottom of the plug. If it starts your saws are running to rich, adjust or rebuild the carb. In my experience if it has a bad coil it just wont run at all or run real bad. Hope that helps!
Saws: Husqvarna (3)372XP, (2)575XP, 395XP, (2)141, 385XP and a Stihl 090....

Thank You Sponsors!