iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture meters  for checking content of wood

Started by OneWithWood, February 02, 2004, 07:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Electric_Al started a thread on moisture meters for measuring a location (room) relative humidity.  I would like to start a thread in which members can document their experience with moisture meters used to determine the moisture content of wood.  If you have a set up to remotely monitor the mositure content of wood in your kiln please describe the set up as well as the meter itself.

I am actively looking to acquire a good moisture meter or meters to facilitate kiln and air drying of lumber.  Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Here are some things I would like to know:

What is the brand of your meter?
How is it calibrated?  What is the range?
What problems have you had with your meter if any?
What did you pay for your meter?
If you could get any meter on the market what would you buy and why?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Larry

Electrophysics MT808 pin meter new in 1994 $250.  Built in programable species  and temperature correction (both celsius and FH).  Module to check calibration.  Dead accurate compared to moisture samples below 15%.  6 to 199% MC range but any reading  more than 30%  is a guess with any meter.  I have used pins in boards inside the kiln and ran wire to the outside to monitor the load.   On/off switch quit working about 6 months ago probably because it is not dust proof.  Shot of WD-40 got it working again.  That has been the only problem.

Wagner L609 pinless new about 1996 $150.  Chart for species correction.  No way to check calibration.  4 to 22% range.  Reads 1% higher than moisture samples on red oak.  No problems.  Gives good readings when checking 4/4 boards on edge when they are in a stack.  In the kiln you can get your hand and meter in to take a reading but can't get your head in to see what the reading is. :(  Wish it had the push to hold reading feature or would store readings.  Maybe next time.

If I had to replace them I would get a Delmhorst J2000 for the pin meter because it appears to have a better and tougher case than the Electrophysics has and another Wagner but not for sure which model as they have some new ones out now.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Den Socling

I like the J2000. They can be extremely accurate when you are under 25%. As Larry said, any reading of MC above 30% is a guess.

With two short and one long, insulated pin, you can get shell & core readings. With extension wires, you can stand outside and get readings from inside.

For checking a larger number of samples, the Wagner's are great. Not always so accurate but they don't leave holes! Just don't slide them around on dry wood or static electricity may blow it away.

Thank You Sponsors!