iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First post: hobbyist band mill comparison

Started by kng, December 11, 2011, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kng

What a great forum!  I am new to milling, but have toyed with the idea of purchasing a band mill for a while.  I own 100 acres of hardwood timberland that I use primarily for deer hunting.  I constantly have good trees fall or have to fall trees for various reasons.  I always end up sawing them up for fire wood, and I hate wasting them like that.  I live in a rural community and know several farmers that I'm sure would allow me to get a few fallen trees or those that they've cut from time to time.

The idea of being able to use this wood for other things really interests me.  The one thing I've noticed about the band saw mills is that it is very difficult to make a decision!  I just finished watching both the Wood Mizer and Timberking promotional DVDs.

Here is a comparision chart that I've made to help me make a decision:

PHOTOS MUST BE IN A FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

The things that I don't like about the mills are as follows:

Woodmizer LZ10:  Deck seems very cheap.  Is it aluminum?  Not many upgrades available.
Woodmizer LZ15:  Not the cheapest mill on the list, and I don't think I like the hand crank.
Timberking 1220:  Not the cheapest mill on the list, hand crank.  The marketing/customer service doesn't seem as good as the Woodmizer.  Is the Franklin, GA shop still opened?
Woodland Mills HM126:  While I really like this mill, there is no local support, I haven't seen a single person who's owned one, and it's made in China.
Ez Boardwalk Junior:  Again, I worry about support being so far away.  I was impressed that Edward personally called me on Friday based on my inquiry on the webpage.
Lumber Smith:  I'm sure the quality of the wood from this mill isn't the best.  While the cheapest on the list, I wouldn't consider it best value.

Anything I missed?

thanks,
-Kyle
2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

customsawyer

Can't say what you missed but can say welcome to the forum. I would advise you to lean towards one of the sponsors on the left. They help to make this place possible so I like to help them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

How about the EZboardwalk like Paul Case has, huge capacity and just a few dollars more, I like the looks of his.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

What about Cooks mills,but you'll have to go to LA [thats lower Alabama]to pick it up.Consider a little more money and get some hydraulics you will never regret it. Oh and welcome. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

kng
Welcome to the forum. Look forward to you getting a mill and cutting some lumber.
If you read the vast number of posts (or even just a whack of them), I think you will find that all the mills will cut good lumber, as long as the operator does his/her job. ;)  So look at all the things they can do for you.

In the end, you will get what you pay for, and that includes the option to buy used.

Mills are demonstrated at a lot of different sites around the country, and imagine even some in Alabama.
:D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum kng. You are really putting in your leg work on this decision! I like your spreadsheet comparison. I know whichever mill you end up with you will be hopelessly infected with the " dreaded illness" lIke most of us on here.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bandmill Bandit

Welcome to the forum.
Based on the acreage of timber you own, I would recommend something with hydraulics right off the bat as that is very likely where you will end up anyway.

Woodmizer has the best service network and IMHO the best quality in band mills that is out there.

There are other good mills but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Used is a good way to start but be sure you have some look at the mill that knows mills before you by it.

Good luck in search for a mill. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

zopi

The handcrank on the Lt-15 is good to go...not much to go wrong, and it uses common rope to drive against...no cable or chain...had the mill pushing five years now..replaced it once. But that was when I added the trailer chassis and had to. The up down crank also has some advantage...it is graduated soyou always know exactly where the blade is without having to look at the scale...I am seriously going to miss that when I move to hydraulics. One other thing I urge you to consider...the GO chassis for the 15....being able to hook to the mill and go to the woodlot is a butt ton easier than loading and hsuling logs...plus..you can use the slabs in the woods for wildlife habitat as a msnagement bene...

Really, though, my recommendation is to find a decent deal on a bigger mill...28 or 40...
I know beans about mills which are not orange, so really have no opinion....other than what these guys say
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

I agree with Zopi.  Don't worry about the crank on the manual mill.  It works great.  If you don't want to turn the crank, you can easily just push the mill with one hand.

I would say that the decision on which mill to buy is a function of your objectives.  If you plan to custom saw for others, the manual mills will work you to death and you will have low productivity compared to the hydraulic mills.  If you are just cutting occasionally for yourself, the manual mill will be fine as long as you do not go too low on the HP.  That is where you need to spend your $.  The 25 HP engine on the LT15 and an extra bed section makes that mill as capable as any mill on the market.  It is just slower to produce than the hydraulic mills, and if slow is OK, you are good.  The real issue with the manual mills is log handling.  You have to physically turn the log on the mill each time you need to go to a new face.  That takes time, and that is where you lose productivity. 

The sponsors on the left that help make this Forum possible all have good mills.  Which one you choose is a personal choice.  Taking into account service and blade sharpening is important.  If you go manual, do not go real low on the horsepower to save money.  That is the wrong direction unless you are going to be sawing very infrequently.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

KNG,

I'm in the same boat and just posted a question for any users of Timbermule mills

Take a look at their products on line  http://www.timbermule.com/

Can't hurt,

DGD

ladylake

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on December 11, 2011, 08:36:47 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Based on the acreage of timber you own, I would recommend something with hydraulics right off the bat as that is very likely where you will end up anyway.

Woodmizer has the best service network and IMHO the best quality in band mills that is out there.

There are other good mills but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. Used is a good way to start but be sure you have some look at the mill that knows mills before you by it.

Good luck in search for a mill.

Best service and best quality is a matter of opinon not fact. I'll take my TK for both but will recomend the EZ boardwalk like Paul Case has for a push along mill.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bandmill Bandit

Steve;

Please take notice that I did say that the statement re Wood Mizer is IMHO.(In My Humble Opinion)
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kng.   :)  Many of the sponsors on the left have used sawmills also.  Happy searching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on December 11, 2011, 09:49:55 PM
Steve;

Please take notice that I did say that the statement re Wood Mizer is IMHO.(In My Humble Opinion)
I always thought that was ''honest''?

Quote from: ladylake on December 11, 2011, 08:25:02 PM
How about the EZboardwalk like Paul Case has, huge capacity and just a few dollars more, I like the looks of his.   Steve
I have been where you are.
I wanted as much capacity for as little $ as possible.
EZ Boardwalk was it. Ed is a very real down to earth kinda guy and He will help you out with any troubles, but you won't need him much. In 3 years, 3 times is all I ever had to have something.
I guess I am going to use it to death, probably mine, since it doesn't seem to wear out.
Now I wish for hydraulics.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

zopi

That timbermule is an interesting looking critter...never heard of them before..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WoodenHead

Welcome to the forum!  I'm no longer new here so I'm going to have to change my name soon  :D

Anyway, I went through the same decision process as you and agonized over it for a few months before I decided to get the Woodmizer LT28 with the 18HP diesel.  I love it!  The same diesel engine in available on the LT15.  The LT15 also has a power feed option if you really don't like the crank.

My own decision process started with the LT15 and TK1220.  WM and TK are the most popular machines.  Service (at least in my area) in the end won me over to WM.

Buy as much mill as you can.  In the end I'm glad went a little larger than first planned.  Eventually I'm looking to add some hydraulics.  Seems a little easier to do with an LT28.

redbeard

Welcome KNG to the forestry forum some other mills to look at are Linn,  Logmaster and little Oscar . Sawmill & Woodlot mag. Had nice write ups on the manual mills at this years shoot out. The EZ Boardwalk did really good. One thing that will really help your decision is if you can get some hands on or watch it in Person. Good luck on your venture.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

limbrat

Im a hobbyist, dont worry about logs tree services, construction sites, small towns and dying trees in peoples yards will provide more than you need. There are lots of logs thrown away, once you start asking around they will come. A two axle trailer with a winch in the front and a A frame that reaches off the back will make them a lot easier to get.
I bought a four post head and log clamps and built my bed and log deck. Get a twenty hp. or more engine or ten hp. motor (electric) and at least 18" band wheels 20 would be even better, less metal fatigue and better band life.
Weather you get a package or go buy part and build the rest you will benefit from getting a little more than you think you will use.
Consider local used, its a good time buy used for a lot less if you can find it. I found some great deals after i had already bought new.
Well i hope the wind always blows the dust away from you and that you never stick your chain saw. And a belated welcome to the forum good night.
ben

ladylake

Steve;

I finally got educated on what IMHO means.     Steve

TreeWinder

Welcome in
Add the Bakers to your list for review.  Very satisfied with mine.
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

york

TW,your right-Baker is a forum sponsor also..link to one of there small mills.

http://www.baker-online.com/
Albert

thecfarm

kng,welcome to the forum. You will need to get the trees out of the woods to your sawmill. Need support equipment. I have no idea on how quick you need this mill. Usually there are fairs and some logging shows to see the mills in motion.Ever been around a sawmill before?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kng

Wow!  Thanks for the warm welcome and everyone sharing their thoughts and ideas!

I really didn't plan on getting a hyrdraulic mill, as I don't plan on milling that much lumber.  My plan was to use a dual axle trailer to haul the logs off of my land to a place where the mill is set up.  My land is about 3 miles off the grid up a "mountain".  It is about 1,000 feet higher than the bottom land.   The first two miles of the road is basically a gravel road changing to a dirt road on top.  They are actually logging 140 acres that joins me now.  Should I ask the land owner if I can have the saw mills "culls".  I know normally they leave logs that are below a certain diameter, but I'm sure they leave some that they know won't grade well.

I agree with the suggestion that my next step is to get around some mills.  I have never been around a band saw mill.  Does anyone know of any forestry shows in the South East in the next few months?  If I can't do that, I'd like to get over to the Georgia Wood Mizer distributor.  They had a demo this last Saturday, but I was unable to go.

I beleive for now, my top two choices are the Wood Mizer LZ15 and the Ez Boardwalk Junior.  While I really like the Timberking 1220, I can't see paying the same price for the LZ15 with the local customer support that WM offers.

Thanks for all of the help!
-Kyle
2015 LT15G19 with Power Feed and custom trailer

AvT

Quote from: ladylake on December 12, 2011, 05:41:59 AM
Steve;

I finally got educated on what IMHO means.     Steve

Sorry I should stay out of this but IMHO here in the forum sparks and mooney give the best quality of service and that is proof positive of ,,,,,,,somthing IMHO
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Magicman

kng, Many (most) times, the logger/timber buyer is only interested in the log up to the first large limb.  There could be a smaller or knotty log above it that is uneconomical for them, but usable to you.  After the loggers finish, talking to the landowner might produce some usable short logs.   If the landowner sees you getting "value" you may have to pay him something.  I have paid $50Mbf Doyle for such. (Mbf=per thousand board feet)

Sometimes taking logs above limbs can be dangerous due to limb stress, etc.  Be careful.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!